Signing(s): Geno Smith signs extension with the Seahawks (3 years, $105 million)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Will be interesting to see how much fully guaranteed money he is due. If he’s basically locked into the starter role for 2023 and 2024 then I doubt Seattle drafts a QB on day 1. No sense in sitting a guy for 2 years eating half his rookie contract. But Seattle did eat Flynn’s money and went with Russ but we are talking considerably more as a % of the cap with Feno over Flynn I would imagine.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wow,

@snipes yah or nah?
Honestly, similar to Carr let’s wait and see on the exact details. Carr’s SB went from $60 mill down to $28.5 mill.

$52 mill in year 1 would mean signing bonus money of $30 mill or more most likely.

Goal would be to have him count as a $30 mill cap hit max in year 1, and up to $35 mill in year 2. Before Seattle either restructures the deal or lets him go and eats $10 mill in dead cap in 2025.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That‘s a lot of money for Geno.

I’m not overly sold on any of the QBs in this years draft class. Take the best defensive player with the DEN pick then BPA for their second first rounder.

Don’t love it but don’t hate it. Feels like they overpaid though.
Structure matters. Geno was likely to sign a deal which ensured he was the starter for 2 seasons. Coin flip if he is on the team in 2025. Just a matter of how much of that $52 mill is in SB vs Base in 2023.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Will be interesting to see how much fully guaranteed money he is due. If he’s basically locked into the starter role for 2023 and 2024 then I doubt Seattle drafts a QB on day 1. No sense in sitting a guy for 2 years eating half his rookie contract. But Seattle did eat Flynn’s money and went with Russ but we are talking considerably more as a % of the cap with Feno over Flynn I would imagine.

I don't think this would stop the FO from drafting their guy, if they have one. Shit, seems like the Packers practically live this way.

While the words "Geno" and "30+ million aav" look strange next to each other, the man earned a healthy raise and the term isn't too long. Not too concerned, and am happy for him. Not like we were going to trot Locke or a rookie out there on day 1.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think this would stop the FO from drafting their guy, if they have one. Shit, seems like the Packers practically live this way.

While the words "Geno" and "30+ million aav" look strange next to each other, the man earned a healthy raise and the term isn't too long. Not too concerned, and am happy for him. Not like we were going to trot Locke or a rookie out there on day 1.
Average May be $35 mill but I would guess he gets $60 mill give or take for the first 2 years. Typically the last year is a big base salary, most likely over $40 mill in base.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Still waiting to see full details but it appears like the Carr deals that like the $150 mill that was announced for Carr the $105 mill announced for Geno is not really what they will likely take home.

AAV looking like $25 mill base per with another $30 mill in incentives. Ball parking $40 mill guaranteed upon signing being some kind of split between Signing bonus and having some base salary or roster bonus guaranteed.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Why didn't the Jets or Giants go after Geno rather than struggle with DJ and hope for AR?

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
It's basically a front loaded 2 year deal with an out in year 3. It's full of incentives but the guarantees aren't too crazy. Win for him as he gets paid, win for the seahawks as they can move on after 2 years and if he doesn't play well they pay less.

I think they view him as their Alex Smith. A bridge QB who will mentor any rookie they draft but will keep them competitive.

This sums up my reaction:

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
That‘s a lot of money for Geno.

I’m not overly sold on any of the QBs in this years draft class. Take the best defensive player with the DEN pick then BPA for their second first rounder.

Don’t love it but don’t hate it. Feels like they overpaid though.
Part of this feels like being paid for time served. He was absolutely the feel good story of last season and is reaping those rewards.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I just thought the Jets and Giants probably will be better in the immediate future. Seattle is still rebuilding IMO. Easier to win more games.
The NFC East is tough, and the AFC Conference is tougher. Unless he wanted to go to the NFC South, he's right where he should be to give himself the best chance to win. Seattle rebuilt themselves into the playoffs, there's no reason for them to believe they can't win the division and be in the mix to go to the Super Bowl. Probably 11 of the 16 teams can say that, so why fix a problem that doesn't exist?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The NFC East is tough, and the AFC Conference is tougher. Unless he wanted to go to the NFC South, he's right where he should be to give himself the best chance to win. Seattle rebuilt themselves into the playoffs, there's no reason for them to believe they can't win the division and be in the mix to go to the Super Bowl. Probably 11 of the 16 teams can say that, so why fix a problem that doesn't exist?
Seattle needs upgrades in their front 7 and another IOL and a S to take over for Diggs and Adams in a year. If they don’t love either AR or Levis at 5, they could move down and add more picks.

Seattle is setup nicely to be competitive with AZ not having Murray and Rams now paying the bill for pushing all in to win their SB.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Fair enough fair enough...I always think guys should try to play in a mega market lol

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Fair enough fair enough...I always think guys should try to play in a mega market lol
NY also worst turf in nfl plus Seattle WA is a no state income tax. Think Geno made the right call. He returns to the same HC and OC for multiple years. Ain’t broke so don’t try to fix it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad