Post-Game Talk: Geno and Kessel runnin' wild on Zona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sheahan should be good for the final game of the season, at least. Dead horse, I know...

I watch a lot of Wings games as I live there and my wife is a fan, going back a couple years he certainly has the potential to do more. The team as a whole isn't producing too well and I don't expect him to be the outlier at all. Hopefully he won't be a problem by simply being out there, which is a good first step.

He was definitely more sure of himself a couple years ago when I watched him as well. Lots of talent there being hidden under a lack of confidence right now. He probably expected to hit that crossbar before he snapped it off and he did...

I guess when you push historical droughts without getting a goal, you stop doing things that come naturally and try to change your game. Then it snowballs when the changes don't work either..

If he can find that confidence from a couple yrs ago he will really help this team. If not, JR gave up some pocket change for a bad lottery ticket.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I love Jake on the No. 2 line. He complements Malkin and Kessel so well. You'd think that line might be a defensive liability against a stronger opponent, especially on the road, but the other three lines are basically checking units right now. Are people still going to want to split Geno and Phil if they go dry for a few games in the not-too-distant future. With those two, we should take the bad with the very, very good. When they're on, they can carry us.

I don't like the first and third lines, though. The third line is basically a fourth line in terms of production, and that first line is just a shutdown line at this point. I have no idea why we insist to play Crosby with Hornqvist. It's clear that the chemistry isn't there.

We need 2 additions to the top 9...Sprong and someone from the outside.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Watching the recent games again, I think the "snake-bit" scoring dearth actually has nothing to do with luck. What I see from Jake continually this season is that he is not getting his shot off as quick as last year. His release is slower, I see other forwards like Sheary not elevating the puck and still other failing to use deception to get the shot off. There have been many times where I see a forward just shoot (telegraph it) when he could have fake shot it, skated a couple feet over from the D man and got off an uncontested shot from a different angle. Sometimes they seem to be just putting a shot on goal to appease the coaching philosophy of "just shoot the puck and good things will happen." I attribute all of this to the reason the shooting percentage is so low--they need to work on these skills

I would line up
Sheary-Sid-Rust
Jake-Geno-Phil
Hags-Sheahan-Horny
Archi-McKegg-Reaves

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I thought Letang had a pretty good game, i see some improvement in his game, hes still making mistakes, but i think hes getting better which is good to see.

The pens play away from the puck is also better, this is the second game in a row the pens gave up very few scoring chances.

Sully needs to have a talk with Sid.

The floating in the dzone, the penalties, the complaining to the refs every game is starting to get old.

I think the refs are calling everything they can on him because they are sick of his crying every game.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I thought Letang had a pretty good game, i see some improvement in his game, hes still making mistakes, but i think hes getting better which is good to see.

The pens play away from the puck is also better, this is the second game in a row the pens gave up very few scoring chances.

Sully needs to have a talk with Sid.

The floating in the dzone, the penalties, the complaining to the refs every game is starting to get old.

I think the refs are calling everything they can on him because they are sick of his crying every game.

Agreed about Letang. He had a rough first period but I can't recall one single mistake made in the 2nd/3rd. At least none that were all mental. He played terrific in the 2nd/3rd.

And for Sid... just limit his minutes. There is no reason he needs 21 minutes. Put him at 16-17 and let Geno take over to 21. It's ridiculous. I know he's the greatest in the world but you can still coach great players. I hate that coaches feel they can't coach him. Limit his minutes. He will be fine.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Agreed about Letang. He had a rough first period but I can't recall one single mistake made in the 2nd/3rd. At least none that were all mental. He played terrific in the 2nd/3rd.

And for Sid... just limit his minutes. There is no reason he needs 21 minutes. Put him at 16-17 and let Geno take over to 21. It's ridiculous. I know he's the greatest in the world but you can still coach great players. I hate that coaches feel they can't coach him. Limit his minutes. He will be fine.

Need him for draws.

He’s taken 37 more than Patrice Bergeron. Most in the league.

Last edited:

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
When Sprong arrives he’ll have one of the better shots on the team. I want to see him & Sid together. Sid should nearly be at an assist per game rate this season.
Based on what? He's certainly not been playing well enough to be at an assist per game rate *this* season tbh. He might get there eventually but surely some of the blame falls on him not just his wingers.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
A win is a win. Only took the league's worst team, on the second night of a back-to-back in which they played in OT the night before, with travel in between, to lose to the Pens!

But hey, take the wins when you can.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I'm still waiting to see this 30 pt Sheahan was going to be with wingers.

Pretty obvious he is an offensive black hole right now and it is on HIM, not his line-up.

I also can't stand his game. He doesn't even cycle just kind of dispy doodles in the offensive zone and passes back to the point.

I honestly would be rolling Sheary - McKegg - Rust / Kuhn - Sheahan - Reaves right now. The best Sheahan looks is when he is grinding it out.

Yeah, I don't think it was a bad trade, but he's been bad so far. Adding nothing offensively.

I mean a win is a win but I was hoping we'd crush them.

It is great to have Schultz back.

I hope Jimmy is actively pursuing a 3C because Sheahan is just a waste of everyone's time.

Yes to all three of your opinions.

We've been saying that all season.

That's my one negative from tonight. If there was ever an opponent where the floodgates should have opened, it was Arizona tonight. Not only are they the worst defensive team in hockey, the worst team in hockey (both statistically speaking), they're also playing the second part of a back to back on the road.

All things being equal, scoring 3 goals on them is pretty meh. I'll take the win and the 2 points, but this wasn't even close to the statement game it should have been.

Yep.

Crosby is 57th in league scoring.

5 goals, 8 assists, 13 points, -12 in 17 games.

The concern is very real.

The stats stink, but I'm more concerned about the +\-. That's friggin' horrible.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Based on what? He's certainly not been playing well enough to be at an assist per game rate *this* season tbh. He might get there eventually but surely some of the blame falls on him not just his wingers.

I guess the assumption is that the chances Sheary and Horny get, Sprong having a better shot and a better eye for the open areas on the net as a sniper, would convert more often, which I tend to agree with to an extent. I'd like to see Sprong play the rest of November before the team decides on calling him up.

Which is another 6 games. Not a lot, but by that point, Sprong will be playing Game #17. Or maybe end of December, that's 14 games in December alone, which would put him at 31 games in the AHL, a pretty good baseline for his production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad