Post-Game Talk: Geno and Kessel runnin' wild on Zona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Honestly, that wasn't very impressive. I am a bit let down actually. We got a couple lucky goals early and didn't go for the jugular against the worst team in the league.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I mean the benefit to backup stars like zletang/ Shultz and crosby/ malkin is than when one is struggling the other can pick up the slack, right

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
++++ 71/81 (love to 58 too): These 2 were running wild all game. Kessel and G had that energy when they hit the ice tonight. Almost like HBK felt in the playoffs. They just took over and didn't stop.

+++ Schultz/Letang: Lumping both in here for 1 reason. Schultz played 20:31. Letang played 23:24. I want to see Tangers minutes even lower, but it was SO much better when he was limited. He got more confident and played way smarter. Schultz played tremendous as well. He's our PP QB. No doubt about it. I also love Letang/Jake/Sheary/Rust as part of PP2. That was perfect. Great game by both.

+ Mur: Good solid game by big Mur! Can't deny he's a beast.

+ Rust: Also loved his game. Guy makes power moves like he's 225lbs out there.

- Sid: Looks frustrated. Plays frustrated. Playing like shit. Oh well. It's November. Better now than any other time. :)

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Honestly, that wasn't very impressive. I am a bit let down actually. We got a couple lucky goals early and didn't go for the jugular against the worst team in the league.

That team went to OT w/ Washington last night and have been playing competitive. They are a young team with a ton of talent. It's not like they are shit.

I thought we controlled the game and it easily could have been 5-1. Can't complain because when the pucks start going in, it's going to be nice.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Underwhelming but line 2 looked good

If we're loading up the top two lines to get three goals againt the worst team in the league who was playing on a b2b night, then we need JR to provide more help...and soon!

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Unimpressive game overall. Arizona played yesterday and nearly looked as good as us, which is a terrible thing. Thank god Kessel and Geno showed up because if they didn't Arizona would have probably won that game.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
That team went to OT w/ Washington last night and have been playing competitive. They are a young team with a ton of talent. It's not like they are ****.

I thought we controlled the game and it easily could have been 5-1. Can't complain because when the pucks start going in, it's going to be nice.
I guess "Zona" plays better on a back to back than we do.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Unimpressive game overall. Arizona played yesterday and nearly looked as good as us, which is a terrible thing. Thank god Kessel and Geno showed up because if they didn't Arizona would have probably won that game.

Guess we basically lost then. Oh well.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Phil and Geno have some off nights, but when they're on, man it's beautiful. And Phil has been on for quite a while. We're lucky to have our big three forwards. When one or two are off, we have that scoring depth you need.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I didn't think Sheahan/Rust/Hags was as bad as people are making it out to be. They had some great chances. They didn't play worse than Sid's line. They were responsible and Rust was driving the offense.

But let's focus on G's line. They were amazing. The vibe when they hit the ice was similar to HBK. They just took over. I really really really like that line and what else do you want? We've been yelling for that line for weeks. We get it and it's awesome. Let's smile and be happy a bit.

Also Letang played great in periods 2/3. I thought he was terrific on PP2, too. Schultz played tremendous. I liked the defense tonight. The one mess up was Sheary not covering the spot he should have covered. The defense played great.

Let's go. Not everything is negative. :laugh:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Nice to have Schultz back to lighten the load on Letang. Showed tonight as Tanger had a good game for once.

Sid -

Perhaps it's just a case of first week of November after having a snake bitten stretch that turns into a meh, i'll just let this ride out on it's own stretch but it's pretty uncharachteristic for him not to be honing in on whats plaguing him in practice and coming out roses on the other end of it. You add in the amount of hockey the previous 2 seasons and brutal schedule and maybe he figures it's just not worth the effort at this particular moment but it kinda is with the bottom 6 we have. Guy simply has to snap out of it and get that fire again or atleast at a regular pace and not take 3 to 4 to 5 games off.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
tumblr_inline_naj1tyvKlU1qjhl77.gif

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
A stacked line with our 2nd,3rd,4th best forwards should be our best. It is the other 3 that are worrisome. I hope Sid is saving himself.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Sid is only looking for assists right now. That's the biggest thing I see with his game. He gets into the offensive zone and just turns his ass around and throws passes through the crease. All he needs to do is look to take the puck to the net and to shoot whenever he has a chance. Once he starts looking to do that the other stuff will sort itself out.

++ Kessel/Malkin/Guentzel. Keep that line together.
+ Murray was solid, but not tested too badly
+ Schultz. Good to have him back.
- PP. Take the puck to the net Sid and Geno. That should be the primary play. Both were just looking for apples. Kessel is far more clear in his intentions and it works.
+ Rust was making some nice plays at the blue line.

I'm still down on Ruh and can't wait til he's back in the box but he wasn't too bad tonight. Letang kept it a bit simpler tonight but the PP was still an issue.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are average and Murray is saving them to a degree. Just not a bad effort by any means, but not something that indicates the offense is really coming on. Not sure what Sully can do except to continue to hope the team keeps staying healthy and gets on some roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad