WC: General Talk '12 — Sweden (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I actually believe Bäckström would be better together with Loui Eriksson and Alfie. They had great chemistry in the olympics. But, I guess Hörnqvist can net some goals too, his play style is quite similar to Erikssons. And it's not like it would feel right splitting up the 1st line now ,when they have played so well together.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
very poor performance by silverberg so far, worn out?

I don't know what's wrong with him, maybe he has given his all already this season winning SEL championship? It just seems that the whole line just stays in the corner with pretty much nothing else going on and plays it safe. I didn't watch Brynas that lot during the regular season, so I don't really know that much what is gotten worse in his game. Hopefully he's saving his game 'till the games that matter the most.

Really doesn't sound like him, so perhaps he's out of gas. Hopefully he recharges soon and helps Sweden to a win.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Silfverberg is pretty obviously out of gas, his foot speed just isn't there. Normally his explosive stride is one of his biggest weapons. Now it's almost to the point where he has troubles keeping up with Jarnkrok, and he had troubles in foot races against Italy tonight. Because the skating isn't there, he can't create anything on the rush nor get in the right areas to use his shot. We'll see if two days rest here can make a difference. Either way, he'll most likely find himself on the 4th line the rest of this tournament. Hopefully he can still score a clutch goal when it matters.

Missed this somehow. A good and fair assessment.

Harikkerk

Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
This may be good for the team, now they gotta play even better not to let Bäckström down :)
He's not flying all the way from Washington just to face Latvia and then get whipped out from the big games by the Czechs.

And i read some of the comments in Aftonbladets article about Bäckström joining in...Sad to see so many people didn't really get informed by media last year (when he didn't come) that he wasn't allowed to by the Capitals leadership due to injuries...
apparently a lot of people think that he just didn't wanna come, a lot of comments about that. Sad sad sad...

And yes, he's the most underrated Swede we got, let's see what he can deliver :)

Last edited:

Crazyhorse II

May 12, 2012
This is a quite different swedish team than we are used to. If Sweden wins this tournament, it will be because of our stacked offense, not because of our defence or goaltending. Our goaltending in 2006 wasn't that good either, we just scored enough goals to hold the Canadians off (5-1 became 5-4 in the semifinal). Something similar needs to happen this year if the gold is to be ours.

Regarding the comparisons with WC 2004... There are no Kaberle's or Zidlicky (he was actually a good defender in the good year of 2004) that can continue the pressure in powerplay. Even still, the Czechs showed in 2010 that they can work hard and get the job done even with a sub-par lineup. I have my doubts about them pulling of an upset this time, but you'll never know.

Spinkis

Dec 26, 2011
And i read some of the comments in Aftonbladet

tumblr_m09vhlZvO31qmzq49.gif

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
This may be good for the team, now they gotta play even better not to let Bäckström down :)
He's not flying all the way from Washington just to face Latvia and then get whipped out from the big games by the Czechs.

And i read some of the comments in Aftonbladets article about Bäckström joining in...Sad to see so many people didn't really get informed by media last year (when he didn't come) that he wasn't allowed to by the Capitals leadership due to injuries...
apparently a lot of people think that he just didn't wanna come, a lot of comments about that. Sad sad sad...

And yes, he's the most underrated Swede we got, let's see what he can deliver :)

You don't have to go to Aftonbladet to find inane posts of that character, lets discuss Sedins around here. Henrik with a ToI of 3594 the last two last years should not catch a break.

Besides I can not really agree that Bäckström is our most underrated player. We'll see after the tournament who it is, probably someone we underrate. Bäckström is the best player on the Caps and I can not see anyone underrate him very much other than people who just follow SEL or nothing at all. I for sure have high expectations on Bäckström and I do not think I overrate him because of that.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Someone tell me who the grinders and checking line forwards are now? Persson :facepalm: ... There are way to many skilled forwards. Same whit the defense, whit Ericsson out, Hedman is the no.1 defensive d, facepalm again. Like someone posted before, this team needs to score 5+ goals in every game left, cause they are for sure letting in four or more goals anyways, whom ever they might play.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Someone tell me who the grinders and checking line forwards are now? Persson :facepalm: ... There are way to many skilled forwards. Same whit the defense, whit Ericsson out, Hedman is the no.1 defensive d, facepalm again. Like someone posted before, this team needs to score 5+ goals in every game left, cause they are for sure letting in four or more goals anyways, whom ever they might play.

I would rank Hjalmarsson as Swedens no1. defensive defensman.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

:huh:

Kruger and Stalberg have played a lot on the 3rd/4th lines in CHI and done it well. Before Landeskog proved to be a 1st liner on COL he was projected to be a 3rd line power/checking forward and even though he did raise his stock this year he led COL in hits. That's one full line for you. Sure you might say that our 4th line now isn't as good as it could be but remeber which players we have on our top lines: Franzen, Zetterberg, Eriksson: three great two-way players (although Eriksson hardly ever gets credit for being strong defensively); Hornqvist, Backstrom, Alfredsson: Hornqvist is a player for the dirty areas, Backstrom is great at take aways, good defensively and can hit and Alfredsson plays well in all roles, PK, PP, EV, offensively and defensively.

The more I think about it the more I am confused by your post. Which team are you talking about???

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
lines on practice:

Loui Eriksson-Henrik Zetterberg-Johan Franzén

Patric Hörnqvist-Johan Larsson-Daniel Alfredsson

Viktor Stålberg-Marcus Krüger-Gabriel Landeskog

Jakob Silfverberg-Calle Järnkrok-Niklas Persson

..and Bäckström will replace Larsson when he arrives

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006

Like we needed any "grinders". All we need is Bäckström, a non-bezerk Franzén, a smarter Landeskog, tighter defense in the quarterfinals and a pair of decent referees. The tempo will be FAST out there.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
lines on practice:

Loui Eriksson-Henrik Zetterberg-Johan Franzén

Patric Hörnqvist-Johan Larsson-Daniel Alfredsson

Viktor Stålberg-Marcus Krüger-Gabriel Landeskog

Jakob Silfverberg-Calle Järnkrok-Niklas Persson

..and Bäckström will replace Larsson when he arrives

As expected then, but always good to have confirmation :)

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
If we're going to stand a snowball's chance in hell further down the tournament, guys like N.Kronwall, Hedman, Alfredsson, Landeskog & Fasth really need to step their games up.

When an 18 year old defenceman (Brodin) is better than a veteran defenceman like Niklas Kronwall, you know something's wrong.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
If we're going to stand a snowball's chance in hell further down the tournament, guys like N.Kronwall, Hedman, Alfredsson, Landeskog & Fasth really need to step their games up.

When an 18 year old defenceman (Brodin) is better than a veteran defenceman like Niklas Kronwall, you know something's wrong.

Brodin gets pushed around like a ragdoll by these european teams, don't even wanna think about what he will look like against U.S or Canada...

Harikkerk

Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
If all players focus on what they're good at the gold should be there. Or at least the final. Apparently this is probably the most skillful squad we've had in a WC since 2006...Some players just does mistakes too often.

I'm good with Karlsson, Zetterberg, Loui Erksson and Franzén so far. Let's see what Bäckström will bring to the table.

And yes, they played good against the Russians until they lost their head after the Franzén/Yemin incident :/ And that Yemin scored the 3-3 goal didn't make it better, rofl.

Yes, i read facebook comments...so it's pretty much the Swedish population i meant now. DUH!
I hate Aftonbladet as well. But for some reason all of us reads it, lol. Probably just to see what bullcrap they put out in the articles :P

Last edited:

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
Yes, i read facebook comments...so it's pretty much the Swedish population i meant now. DUH!
I hate Aftonbladet as well. But for some reason all of us reads it, lol. Probably just to see what bullcrap they put out in the articles :P

I stopped reading Aftonbladet (and Expressen) altogether a couple of years ago, I'm all better for it you just get dumber from reading their crap, although I can't skip their hockey coverage but I get the headlines from a RSS reader so I don't really use their sites.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Hey guys I was just wondering if you could give me an update on how Loui Eriksson is doing? I'm a Stars fan, but haven't been able to watch any of the games. Thanks in advance!

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Hey guys I was just wondering if you could give me an update on how Loui Eriksson is doing? I'm a Stars fan, but haven't been able to watch any of the games. Thanks in advance!

A bit up and down for his standards, but he is good at getting himself open, and have score quite a lot of points. Plays on Swedens best line.

JFG

Mar 14, 2012

Has very good chemistry with Zetterberg and I'm pleased with his play so far.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Brodin gets pushed around like a ragdoll by these european teams, don't even wanna think about what he will look like against U.S or Canada...

Haven't really been watching the recent games but even if he is being pushed around like a ragdoll, does he still disrupt plays and move the puck out of harms way?

Because even if he is overpowered, I'm fine as long as the puck isn't on the opposing forwards stick. It could be more of a stylistic issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad