WC: General Talk '12 — Canada (Part II)

Beerfest*

Question to the people championing Burns, did you guys see what happened last year? I'm almost certain that Bouwmeester doesn't fail to make that play.

Bouwmeester is overrated IMO, but if anything he's a steady/dependable minute eater. Something this team needs.

How is Bouwmeester overrated? People seriously underrate him. Its hilarious.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's too bad the goalies are set.

With the way Holtby was playing in the playoffs, he could have challeged Ward as our starter.

Not a chance that a guy with 34 career NHL games comes over half way through the tournament and challenges Ward for the top spot. Once Ward agreed to be on the team he was locked in as starter.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
What more can you say about John Tavares? He is such a boss. In the history of this tournament he's in the top 5 goal scorers for Canada. He's only two behind Stevie Y for 4th all time, and he might catch him tomorrow.

That's unimaginable for a 21 year old kid.

He finished 7th in NHL scoring this year too. Bar none he's the most underrated young superstar I've seen in ages. He's such a smart and skilled player, doesn't get enough respect.

I love how he just excels on the big ice too, there are a few people out there who still think he's slow or one dimensional, he just dominates the boards and makes people look silly with his under cover wheels and sick hands. I love watching him rip up the Worlds. He's been Canada's best forward for three years straight now.

franfrey*

It's too bad the goalies are set.

With the way Holtby was playing in the playoffs, he could have challeged Ward as our starter.

Dubnyk can already challenge Ward for the starting job.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What more can you say about John Tavares? He is such a boss. In the history of this tournament he's in the top 5 goal scorers for Canada. He's only two behind Stevie Y for 4th all time, and he might catch him tomorrow.

He finished 7th in NHL scoring this year too. Bar none he's the most underrated young superstar I've seen in ages. He's such a smart and skilled player, doesn't get enough respect.

I love how he just excels on the big ice too, there are a few people out there who still think he's slow or one dimensional, he just dominates the boards and makes people look silly with his under cover wheels and sick hands. I love watching him rip up the Worlds. He's been Canada's best forward for three years straight now.

Tavares has been a beast. I think if he was playing on a contending team as opposed to NYL, his stats would have been off the charts. He will be a key guy in 2014 as Canada looks to repeat.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Tavares is a stud. Love that he's accepted the invitation three years running, too - I hope that's something he continues to do even as his star rises in the NHL. I understand people with injury issues/new kids/etc. not going, but I definitely frown when guys decline the invite for no apparent reason.

As for the quarterfinal, Canada needs to stay disciplined. IMO, that's their one big weakness is keeping cool heads. Two defensemen kicked out in a one-sided affair against Belarus for stupid hits from behind shows that the problem is still there, they just haven't faced a team that could make them pay for it. Slovakia has enough skill to do that.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

You'd think you were an Isles fan the way you gush about JT. ;)

I know you've always loved the guy LG, he really is a special talent. I know people love to project how good some of the kids around the NHL will be, but Tavares is doing it and living up to his crazy hyped up billing. He's only going to get better and I cannot see how he hasn't locked up a spot for 2014. It would not surprise me in the least if he leads Team Canada in scoring as he just always seems to do when he puts on that jersey.

As Mr. C alluded to in his post, JT has always answered the call for Canada and excelled. He was the face of that 2008 WJC gold medal team before the tourney and certainly came up big when it mattered. The evolution of his game has been impressive as he has really developed into a complete player who can really play any style because he's that smart on the ice. From what I've seen from him in this year's WJC, the thing that impresses me the most about him is his commitment to backchecking. I've seen almost every game he's ever played the last 3 years so I already knew how skilled he was, but watching him put his head down and bust his nuggets from one end of the rink to the other to cover his man gives me goosebumps. Tavares cares and I think he's going to be an integral piece of the 2014 team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You'd think you were an Isles fan the way you gush about JT. ;)

I know you've always loved the guy LG, he really is a special talent. I know people love to project how good some of the kids around the NHL will be, but Tavares is doing it and living up to his crazy hyped up billing. He's only going to get better and I cannot see how he hasn't locked up a spot for 2014. It would not surprise me in the least if he leads Team Canada in scoring as he just always seems to do when he puts on that jersey.

As Mr. C alluded to in his post, JT has always answered the call for Canada and excelled. He was the face of that 2008 WJC gold medal team before the tourney and certainly came up big when it mattered. The evolution of his game has been impressive as he has really developed into a complete player who can really play any style because he's that smart on the ice. From what I've seen from him in this year's WJC, the thing that impresses me the most about him is his commitment to backchecking. I've seen almost every game he's ever played the last 3 years so I already knew how skilled he was, but watching him put his head down and bust his nuggets from one end of the rink to the other to cover his man gives me goosebumps. Tavares cares and I think he's going to be an integral piece of the 2014 team.

I will be shocked if Tavares is not on one of Canada's top 2 lines in 2014. He has proven himself in the NHL and done even more internationally.

It's not good that Methot is suspended, but he did deserve it. Hopefully Murray is able to handle some shifts against Slovakia.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
..so Canada-Slovakia in the quarterfinals. Predictions?

I see a tight game. Hard fought 4-2 win for Canada. I am really looking for Canada's special teams to get on track. If they do move on to the Semi's and the ultimate hope of the Championship game, the Special Teams will be huge in those games and at this point they must improve.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
What are people's thought on O'Reilly so far throughout this tourni? Anyone think he has a shot at being in the Olympics - in or out of position since center depth is amazinig for canada.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
What are people's thought on O'Reilly so far throughout this tourni? Anyone think he has a shot at being in the Olympics - in or out of position since center depth is amazinig for canada.

Zero chance for O'Reilly on Olympic team. He's a fringe player on this team (though has played solid). Once you add Crosby, Stamkos, Giroux, Toews, Nash, Staal and others there just is no room. I like how he's played here though

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010

This is nothing new to Isles fans, the only players in the league I'd honestly take over him are Crosby and Malkin but I also think he has a more well rounded game than those two, albeit they obviously put up more points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad