WC: General Talk '12 — Canada (Part II)

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
So which outcome would be better for Canada regarding the Finland/US game tomorrow ? I am really confused as to how the playoffs all shake down.

MyNameIsNobody*

So which outcome would be better for Canada regarding the Finland/US game tomorrow ? I am really confused as to how the playoffs all shake down.

A USA win will insure that Canada finishes 1st and plays the fourth place team (probably Slovakia unless switzerland beats Slovakia)

If Finland wins most likely USA will end up 4th...Id rather USA plays Finland and Canada plays (either slovakia or switzerland) i dont want to play USA or Finland...I prefer the easiest route...

Leaf

Apr 25, 2012
Once again Canada proves our dominance.

Lolol. I think it'll be hilarious if someone went through this thread and took out a few quotes that pertain to each game. I'm pretty sure we've gone from 'awful' against the Swiss, 'Kevin Lowe is the worst GM anyone could ask for' against the US, 'we're lazy and don't try' against the French, to this.

In all seriousness, I think this is severely jumping the gun when we haven't even played Sweden, or more importantly, Russia, yet.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I will take this to mean that you either did not watch last year, or you have no memory of the tournament.

I will concede that Bouwmeester and Burns may be closer than I originally stated however I still think Burns is the better of the two.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Why is supersoft Purcell playing in checkingline instead of a heart and soul player like Reilly? Super strange.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
A USA win will insure that Canada finishes 1st and plays the fourth place team (probably Slovakia unless switzerland beats Slovakia)

If Finland wins most likely USA will end up 4th...Id rather USA plays Finland and Canada plays (either slovakia or switzerland) i dont want to play USA or Finland...I prefer the easiest route...

So no bye for first? No wonder there have been some suspect results over the years. It's all about positioning.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Why is supersoft Purcell playing in checkingline instead of a heart and soul player like Reilly? Super strange.

O'Reilly didn't play yesterday because of a minor lower body injury. Other than that, he centres the shutdown line. Now that Burrows is back and looks good it will be interesting to see if they put him in Purcell's spot on the O'Reilly line.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Currently, Pieterangelo is a better d-man than Keith.

Even if you argue that one year ago Pieterangelo wasn't as good as he is now, Keith hasn't played his best hockey this tournament so far either.

The mere suggestion that Bouwmeester is better than Burns in any way possible is an absolute joke.

Bouwmeester is a far better defenseman than Burns.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Team USA demolished Finland, so it guarantees Canada will finish first. This makes an easy quarterfinal, which is always a good thing, since you would avoid getting eliminated by a team like Russia so early, like Canada has been before.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Team USA demolished Finland, so it guarantees Canada will finish first. This makes an easy quarterfinal, which is always a good thing, since you would avoid getting eliminated by a team like Russia so early, like Canada has been before.

The way things look now my guess would be that Canada will have to beat Slovakia, then Sweden, then Russia.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
did HC invite Girardi and Staal now that the Rangers are out? they could sure use either of them.

The Rangers won last night....

Anyways, Canada will likely play Slovakia in the QF. I don't really mind that match-up at all. Sweden is a power house team... If Canada does win the QF, the semi-final is going to be a huge challenge.

Last edited:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Well I think we can all agree that no matter where Canada finishes up, this tournement has been a success as long as it helps Kevin Lowe decide whether to trade the first over all pick and then take with his number 2 a much needed defenceman for the Oilers .

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...e-on-prospect-ryan-murray-hes-the-top-player/

Oilers hockey boss Kevin Lowe on prospect Ryan Murray: “He’s the top player.â€

“He’s played remarkably well for a young fellow and I’ve talked to the other GMs and scouts that are here and they all agree that he’s going to play in the National Hockey League next year, no question

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Well I think we can all agree that no matter where Canada finishes up, this tournement has been a success as long as it helps Kevin Lowe decide whether to trade the first over all pick and then take with his number 2 a much needed defenceman for the Oilers .

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...e-on-prospect-ryan-murray-hes-the-top-player/

“He’s played remarkably well for a young fellow and I’ve talked to the other GMs and scouts that are here and they all agree that he’s going to play in the National Hockey League next year, no question

Oilers come 1st after all.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Lolol. I think it'll be hilarious if someone went through this thread and took out a few quotes that pertain to each game. I'm pretty sure we've gone from 'awful' against the Swiss, 'Kevin Lowe is the worst GM anyone could ask for' against the US, 'we're lazy and don't try' against the French, to this.

In all seriousness, I think this is severely jumping the gun when we haven't even played Sweden, or more importantly, Russia, yet.

Good post. Imo we've looked shaky all tourney and could have had a harder schedule..

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton

That article is based on a butchered quote. Lowe said "He's a top player" not the top player, but no one would click on his blog if he quoted correctly.

niljano

May 11, 2011
The Rangers won last night....

Anyways, Canada will likely play Slovakia in the QF. I don't really mind that match-up at all. Sweden is a power house team... If Canada does win the QF, the semi-final is going to be a huge challenge.

Hornqvist and now Backstrom have joined Sweden. Russia gets Semin and Ovechkin. Have Canada already got full roster?

Oct 18, 2010
Question to the people championing Burns, did you guys see what happened last year? I'm almost certain that Bouwmeester doesn't fail to make that play.

Bouwmeester is overrated IMO, but if anything he's a steady/dependable minute eater. Something this team needs.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Hornqvist and now Backstrom have joined Sweden. Russia gets Semin and Ovechkin. Have Canada already got full roster?

Who would you want to add from Washington?

Forwards: Beagle, Brouwer, Chimera, Laich, Perreault, Ward,
Defence: Alzner, Erskine, Green, Schultz, Wideman.
Goalie: Holtby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad