WC: General Talk '12 — Finland (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I think he'll let Tuppurainen play only if we lose the semi and if nothing has changed with PIG, kind of like Finnish coaches in the past have let the backup goalie play the bronze game. It's such a big deal for Jalonen to change 1 player, apparently...

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think he'll let Tuppurainen play only if we lose the semi and if nothing has changed with PIG, kind of like Finnish coaches in the past have let the backup goalie play the bronze game. It's such a big deal for Jalonen to change 1 player, apparently...

It is, but as long as we win (the right games) it doesn't matter. I would have liked to see more changes from him but he's method is working atm so I've no problem with it.

Come on guys, let's beat the Russians!

Crazyhorse II

May 12, 2012
According to finnish news papers, you are now Swedens big brother in hockey. You better win this tournament, or that claim will look quite stupid.

:sarcasm:

Seriously though, im rooting for Finland, despite the hate-love relationship. I couldn't stand seeing Yemelin in the finals.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
According to finnish news papers, you are now Swedens big brother in hockey. You better win this tournament, or that claim will look quite stupid.

I know you're not being serious, but does anyone actually care about these kind of headlines? The yellow press is the scum of the earth in any country. This annual pissing contest between Aftonbladet/Expressen vs Ilta-Sanomat/Iltalehti is about as clever, funny and embarrassing as a my-dad-can-beat-up-your-dad argument between two kindergarteners.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This annual pissing contest between Aftonbladet/Expressen vs Ilta-Sanomat/Iltalehti is about as clever, funny and embarrassing as a my-dad-can-beat-up-your-dad argument between two kindergarteners.
Though to be honest, the Swedish tabloids started it. Even brought the headlines across to rile the Finns before the tournament had even started. If the Finnish papers have now sunk into same level, it's to take a jab back and rub it in since well, you guys have kind of earnt it.

Doesn't make it any less childish, but at least our lemmings waited 'til they actually had a story that somewhat matched reality.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Even though we are taking a beating im satisfied of how we played in this game. We just didnt get the goaltending we needed to win this game and the refs didnt help either.

If we had hot goalie there this would've been very tight game.

Ohwell, bronze aint so bad either.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
For some reason I had a "meh" feeling throughout the tournament. After last year's victory there wasn't that much pressure and eagerness to win anymore (as a fan). I guess I'm still a bit hung over for that :). Winning USA after the 0-5 debacle was also quite satisfying as a comeback. Now if we'll just get the bronze it would be our best result in home tournament anyway.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Not only did Jalonen keep PIG together for the Russia game, but let them play half of the PP's as well??? That line can't even get to the offensive zone on the PP and it's been going on for the entire tournament, except for the very weak countries.

Still hoping he fixes so Granlund centers 2nd line in the bronze game and Immonen goes completely outside the line up. I just want to see that and I'm happy and I don't even care what the result is as long as he'll do those things. Hopefully Tuppurainen plays too.

Rämö vs Vehanen is 50/50. There are pros and cons for each playing, so it's same to me. My guess is he'll keep Vehanen in the net, because Jalonen hates to change things (duh). I'd personally love to see Rämö, but has he had too long break since the KHL finals now?

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Not only did Jalonen keep PIG together for the Russia game, but let them play half of the PP's as well??? That line can't even get to the offensive zone on the PP and it's been going on for the entire tournament, except for the very weak countries.

Still hoping he fixes so Granlund centers 2nd line in the bronze game and Immonen goes completely outside the line up. I just want to see that and I'm happy and I don't even care what the result is as long as he'll do those things. Hopefully Tuppurainen plays too.

Rämö vs Vehanen is 50/50. There are pros and cons for each playing, so it's same to me. My guess is he'll keep Vehanen in the net, because Jalonen hates to change things (duh). I'd personally love to see Rämö, but has he had too long break since the KHL finals now?

I doubt he changes either.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Valtteri Filppula - Mikko Koivu - Jussi Jokinen
Mikko Mäenpää - Juuso Hietanen

Antti Pihlström - Petri Kontiola - Jesse Joensuu
Topi Jaakola - Lasse Kukkonen

Leo Komarov - Niko Kapanen - Tuomas Kiiskinen
Anssi Salmela - Janne Niskala

Mika Pyörälä - Jarkko Immonen - Mikael Granlund
Joonas Järvinen - Ossi Väänänen

http://leijonat.fi/index.php/maajou...e-leijonien-kentaelliset-pronssiotteluun.html

Don't like it...

Nuttso*

Funny. Finland always blame the referee after their loss even they play really bad and only score 1 or 2 goals

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
A fitting end to the tournament I might say. Mostly a depressing feeling with the ticket fiasco and all. Serve some humble pie to Kummola & co., although I feel a bit bad for the players. Most of them are champs from last year so keep you head up guys.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
Nice try, but no cigar. Let's try again next year with a more NHL than KHL blueline.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Jalonen did some incredibly bad coaching decisions during the tournament. WTF was Immonen still doing on the ice during the last games and on the PP. The guy should've been benched long time ago and I was saying that even before the WC. Result was plus minus 4, the worst of the entire team and his line always sucked, except for 1 game against a weaker country.

There's a lot to blame on the coaching, but of course it's not all Jalonen's fault, but big part of that can be blamed on him.

If there's something positive to look from this, it's that now the price is payed for last year's championship and Jalonen (hopefully) wont give players that are cold chance to play over players that are hot next year.

For example Immonen. While he keeps Tuppurainen on the bench for almost the entire tournament??? Then Vehanen over Rämö. Vehanen had a bad season with his team and Rämö had a very good season and the only reason Vehanen was #2 goalie after Lehtonen was last year. I'll give Vehanen credit for the USA win though.

Another lesson learned: Keep spot open for Rinne if there's even a slight chance we can get him.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Nice try, but no cigar. Let's try again next year with a more NHL than KHL blueline.

I honestly think we might get more NHL declines next year than we did this year, because of the message Jalonen sent to the NHL players by keeping Petrell & Nokelainen outside the lineup. I agree with Jalonen's decision, but I'm afraid thats gonna affect on some NHL players will to join the team if their spot isn't guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad