WC: General Talk '12 — Finland (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Funny. Finland always blame the referee after their loss even they play really bad and only score 1 or 2 goals
What has playing bad got to with getting penalties? I get it that the hate between the two countries of ours runs deep, but come on. The eyesight of those refs were at a level of a blind person.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What has playing bad got to with getting penalties? I get it that the hate between the two countries of ours runs deep, but come on. The eyesight of those refs were at a level of a blind person.

The officiating was horrible. It was horrible against Canada when they faced Slovakia in the QF, and the officiating was bad for Finland today. It was not the reason they lost. They could not put the puck in the net when needed to do so.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
We had our share of luck of ref decisions. Refs helped Finland in beating Slovakia, but yeah today it was the opposite and Czechs benefitted of it, but not by much.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I thought 3 things cost us a medal this year:

1) Goaltending. We didnt get the magical goaltending we need every year in order to win. We just cant compete with Russia, Canada etc. on paper, so thats something that just is crucial. Things started to go wrong in the first US game and that was it.

2) 2nd line. As i speculated before the tournament, "PIG" just wasnt good enough anymore. Immonen and Pesonen were step behind compared to last year and when they already are way behind NHL players so the result was predictable IMO. We cant count for consistent scoring from our 3rd and 4th lines and there is no way we can win with only 1 scoring line.

3) Coaching. Jalonen is a decent coach but he made some brutal mistakes in this tournament. Relied too much on some players based on last year's performance, didnt make major changes with the lineup before it was too late. Didnt change goalie, let Getzlaf's line dominate against PIG line in the Canada game etc.

To be honest, if these 3 things were different we would've been very very close for gold but there is no point to speculate anymore. Lets look forward to next year and win in Sweden. :)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Funny. Finland always blame the referee after their loss even they play really bad and only score 1 or 2 goals

No, some Finnish fans do so.

I thought 3 things cost us a medal this year:

1) Goaltending. We didnt get the magical goaltending we need every year in order to win. We just cant compete with Russia, Canada etc. on paper, so thats something that just is crucial. Things started to go wrong in the first US game and that was it.

2) 2nd line. As i speculated before the tournament, "PIG" just wasnt good enough anymore. Immonen and Pesonen were step behind compared to last year and when they already are way behind NHL players so the result was predictable IMO. We cant count for consistent scoring from our 3rd and 4th lines and there is no way we can win with only 1 scoring line.

3) Coaching. Jalonen is a decent coach but he made some brutal mistakes in this tournament. Relied too much on some players based on last year's performance, didnt make major changes with the lineup before it was too late. Didnt change goalie, let Getzlaf's line dominate against PIG line in the Canada game etc.

To be honest, if these 3 things were different we would've been very very close for gold but there is no point to speculate anymore. Lets look forward to next year and win in Sweden. :)

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad