Prospect Info: General Prospect Thread 2017-2018

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Markus Ruusu (6th Round - 2015) is still under contract with JYP, but he signed a 1 year loan agreement with Ilves. He will likely be the backup goalie.

Antti Lehtonen, soon to be 24 years old, is under contract with Ilves as well through 2018-19. After starting 33 games last season plus all 10 playoff games, he's the clear starter going in to camp. He split time last year with Hannu Toivonen (played 32 games). Last year, the Top 8 starters in the league played 41 to 52 games so hopefully Ruusu gets closer to 20 starts and not in the teens. Ideally, if they split starts again in Ilves, he could play as many 30. The 1 year deal allows Ruusu to find a starting job potentially next year.

JYP announced today that they signed Eetu Laurikainen to a 2 year contract, replacing Ruusu as Jussi Olkinuora's backup.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Ruusu looked good to me when I went to Prospects camp a few years ago. Had some hope he might eventualy make it.

I mean, if he backs up Antti Lehtonen over there he should be ready for Dallas Stars action sooner or later. I guess Antti and Lehtonen must be as common as Joe and Smith here in the States.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Most of this isn't new, but I wanted to look up where other Euro's were this year.

Fredrick Karlstrom (3rd Round - 2016) signed a 2 year deal with Linköping (SHL).

Jakob Stenqvist (6th Round - 2016) signed a 2 year deal with Frolunda (SHL), but the plan is for him to spend one year with IF Björklöven (Allsvenskan).

Miro Karjalainen (5th Round - 2014) signed a 1 year deal with HPK. He's technically Dallas property for one more season, but after failing to stick with HIFK last season, coming to North America, not making an impact in the ECHL, and going back to the Liiga this year, he's a long shot for an ELC before his rights are lost.

John Nyberg (6th Round -2014) did sign a 3 year entry-level contract with Dallas earlier this summer, but he also had signed a 2 year extension with Frolunda in October through 2018-19. More than likely, he will play next season in Frolunda, and he'd be a candidate to jump to the AHL in 2018-19 forgoing the final year of his SHL contract.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Markus Ruusu (6th Round - 2015) is still under contract with JYP, but he signed a 1 year loan agreement with Ilves. He will likely be the backup goalie.

Antti Lehtonen, soon to be 24 years old, is under contract with Ilves as well through 2018-19. After starting 33 games last season plus all 10 playoff games, he's the clear starter going in to camp. He split time last year with Hannu Toivonen (played 32 games). Last year, the Top 8 starters in the league played 41 to 52 games so hopefully Ruusu gets closer to 20 starts and not in the teens. Ideally, if they split starts again in Ilves, he could play as many 30. The 1 year deal allows Ruusu to find a starting job potentially next year.

JYP announced today that they signed Eetu Laurikainen to a 2 year contract, replacing Ruusu as Jussi Olkinuora's backup.

I like to think Antti Lehtonen is a kind of terrifying hybrid of the Stars current goalies.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Most of this isn't new, but I wanted to look up where other Euro's were this year.

Fredrick Karlstrom (3rd Round - 2016) signed a 2 year deal with Link�ping (SHL).

Jakob Stenqvist (6th Round - 2016) signed a 2 year deal with Frolunda (SHL), but the plan is for him to spend one year with IF Bj�rkl�ven (Allsvenskan).

Miro Karjalainen (5th Round - 2014) signed a 1 year deal with HPK. He's technically Dallas property for one more season, but after failing to stick with HIFK last season, coming to North America, not making an impact in the ECHL, and going back to the Liiga this year, he's a long shot for an ELC before his rights are lost.

John Nyberg (6th Round -2014) did sign a 3 year entry-level contract with Dallas earlier this summer, but he also had signed a 2 year extension with Frolunda in October through 2018-19. More than likely, he will play next season in Frolunda, and he'd be a candidate to jump to the AHL in 2018-19 forgoing the final year of his SHL contract.

Oh man Stenqvist needs to play next to Nyberg next year if they both stick with Frolunda. Will give me a nice preview of how Nyberg will look next to Klingberg in the future

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I posted this on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/DavidCastilloAC/status/876472480147394564

I figured there was more going on with Gurianov seeing as how he had no power play time. There aren't a lot of U-20 skaters in the AHL, but it's refreshing to see Gurianov alongside some really good names re: even strength primary points per game.

A full season in the AHL is more than enough IMO. I don't see any reason why Denis can't make a positive impact in a bottom six role at the absolute minimum in Dallas.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I posted this on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/DavidCastilloAC/status/876472480147394564

I figured there was more going on with Gurianov seeing as how he had no power play time. There aren't a lot of U-20 skaters in the AHL, but it's refreshing to see Gurianov alongside some really good names re: even strength primary points per game.

A full season in the AHL is more than enough IMO. I don't see any reason why Denis can't make a positive impact in a bottom six role at the absolute minimum in Dallas.

Why are you impressed by that?

18 primary points is underwhelming; Connor and Svechnikov both doubled that.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
The Laxdal factor: Svechnikov and Connor had top six roles on their stacked AHL squads. Gurianov played 85% of the season next to healthy scratches like Austin Fyten and Mike McMurtry.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
The Laxdal factor: Svechnikov and Connor had top six roles on their stacked AHL squads. Gurianov played 85% of the season next to healthy scratches like Austin Fyten and Mike McMurtry.

How many names are on that list though? I'm plenty optimistic about Gurianov but not because of those numbers.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I like Gury, but I rather have him start the year in the AHL. I'm sure he could have a decent year in the NHL, but I'd like for Gury to go back down and play a big role in Cedar Park and run with it.

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
If we want to be serious contenders there is no full-time room for Gury next season. Unless he takes big steps during summer.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
If we want to be serious contenders there is no full-time room for Gury next season. Unless he takes big steps during summer.

We have no scoring depth and our defense is substantially worse than 15-16. No chance of being serious contenders even if Bishop bounces back, and if he doesn't or he gets hurt we are back drafting in the 8-10 range. The question is whether you want Gurianov to learn about playing for Hitch along with everyone else or next year when the stakes are higher.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
We have no scoring depth and our defense is substantially worse than 15-16. No chance of being serious contenders even if Bishop bounces back, and if he doesn't or he gets hurt we are back drafting in the 8-10 range. The question is whether you want Gurianov to learn about playing for Hitch along with everyone else or next year when the stakes are higher.

It seems entirely premature to speculate about our defense and scoring depth in 17-18 before free agency has even started. There are going to be trades and signings that alter the way the team currently looks, and we know they're pursuing a D to play in the Top 4.

It's seems pretty unreasonable to suggest that Dallas is going into next season with the players at this moment in time. If they genuinely sit on their hands and hope Janmark, Shore, and Ritchie are going to round out their Top 6, and their Top 3 defenders are Klingberg, Honka, and Hamhuis ... I'll personally be right there with you being pessimistic.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
It seems entirely premature to speculate about our defense and scoring depth in 17-18 before free agency has even started. There are going to be trades and signings that alter the way the team currently looks, and we know they're pursuing a D to play in the Top 4.

It's seems pretty unreasonable to suggest that Dallas is going into next season with the players at this moment in time. If they genuinely sit on their hands and hope Janmark, Shore, and Ritchie are going to round out their Top 6, and their Top 3 defenders are Klingberg, Honka, and Hamhuis ... I'll personally be right there with you being pessimistic.

It's more premature than talking about being a serious contender?

I'm assuming we sign a left shot defenseman to a long term deal and add at least 2 RWs. Even if this happens, there are a bunch of downgrades from 15-16. Is Janmark as good as he was? Is Spezza? Assuming we bring back Sharp and Hemsky for less to make comparison purposes easy, there's no contest between the 15-16 versions of these players plus Nichushkin vs their 17-18 selves plus Ritchie. If we go for Radulov like some want, that's probably on pace to replace Sharp's points but not a lock. On defense, Klingberg is Klingberg and Johns is Johns. Is Honka going to be as good as Demers right out of the gate? Lindell is Russel and that leaves Smith to be Oduya and Hamhuis to be Goligoski?

Of course that's just UFAs and not trades, but my best case is a team that is a playoff bubble team and not close to the 15-16 one. And the idea that we were good in 15-16 was pretty controversial around here last year. Talking about contending means seeing a lot of improvement in a lot of places, and I see a year of transition and adjustment instead.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Who cares if our forwards arent as good as '15-16? We have Hitch. He's going to turn Johns and the rest of the D into studs and Bishop + whoever will win the Vezina/Jennings. :sarcasm:

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
How many names are on that list though? I'm plenty optimistic about Gurianov but not because of those numbers.

How many names on that list expect to play in the AHL next year? Meier and Greer have already starting playing for their clubs this season. Connor and Svechnikov should have roster spots open for Winnipeg and Detroit, respectively. Same with Puljujarvi.

Gurianov may or may not belong on that list, but a full season in the A is quality experience. With Dallas so thin at right wing already, I'd like to see him get experience in Hitch's system at the same time everyone else is. That seems more beneficial to his development, even if it's bottom six minutes, than spending a full year next to Travis Morin and Cole Ully.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
:stars

1. Miro Heiskanen, LHD (2017, 3rd Overall)
  2. Julius Honka, RHD (2014, 14th Overall)
  3. Denis Guryanov, RW/LW (2015, 12th Overall)
  4. Roope Hintz, LW/C (2015, 45th Overall)
  5. Jason Dickinson, C/LW (2013, 29th Overall)
  6. Riley Tufte, LW (2016, 25th Overall)
  7. Jake Oettinger, G (2017, 26th Overall)
  8. Jason Robertson, LW (2017, 39th Overall)
  9. Gavin Bayreuther, LHD (UFA in 2017)
  10. Nick Caamano, RW/LW (2016, 146th Overall)

My personal list, not a consensus. Stars' board has a prospect vote every summer which we probably won't start until July.

I'm really happy with this, though. I think it's definitely gotten a lot stronger. And it's nice to see that we finally seem to be hitting some strides in the early rounds of the draft (all of my personal top 8 were picked 45th or higher). After the top 8, things get hazier.

Posted this on the main boards, figured I'd cross-post this here.

I think the top 8 players should be the same for most, just in a variety of orders. After that, it's much more up in the air.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Also, I never realized until now that Heatherington and Honka played together (and were paired together for a time) in Swift Current. I wonder if that had any effect on us acquiring him, either through scouting Honka or his familiarity with the player.

The season they played together was also Heatherington's best offensive season of his career by a fair margin.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

I think the top 8 players should be the same for most, just in a variety of orders. After that, it's much more up in the air.

Im incredibly high on Nyberg but cant seem to slot him in that chart. Maybe a toss up with Caamano at 10

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX

Only two changes I would make:

-Honka is still #1. For all the talk of needing a partner for Klingberg, it's a testament to Honka's talents that nobody ever bothers about thinking about the "right partner" for Mr. Murder Face. That's because he's a possession beast. Even compared to Klingberg, he has superior speed and outlet passing to break out of the zone like nobody's business. As important as raw defense is, when you're down in a game, you need scoring too. Having a premiere offensive defenseman is just as important as the five tools skillset Heiskanen brings. Kind of like Dallas' version of PK (Honka) and Josi (Klingberg).
-Gavin Bayreuther over Tufte at #6. The only reason I nitpicked the Heiskanen selection (I love the selection, don't get me wrong) is because Bayreuther looked that good taking over the #1 role in Texas. On raw skill alone, he's got all of Goligoski's strengths and none of his weaknesses. Maybe not as sturdy defensively, but a little more creative, and experience will serve him well. A deep six of Heiskanen-Klingberg, Lindell-Honka (wish we had taken a flyer on Beaulieu, or traded for Theodore when he was still in Anaheim for better LHD), and Bayreuther-Johns can't come soon enough.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I know Bayreuther is thought of highly in this forum but I'd like to see something more from him than 5pts in 15 professional games in the AHL before believing that he's as good or better than Goligoski, potential or otherwise.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I know Bayreuther is thought of highly in this forum but I'd like to see something more from him than 5pts in 15 professional games in the AHL before believing that he's as good or better than Goligoski, potential or otherwise.

I recall several people saying he'd never be much more than a good AHL player, but he also seems to be a bit of a polarizing prospect.

Anyone see him play yet? Would be curious to read a more reliable report on him.

Only two changes I would make:

-Honka is still #1. For all the talk of needing a partner for Klingberg, it's a testament to Honka's talents that nobody ever bothers about thinking about the "right partner" for Mr. Murder Face. That's because he's a possession beast. Even compared to Klingberg, he has superior speed and outlet passing to break out of the zone like nobody's business. As important as raw defense is, when you're down in a game, you need scoring too. Having a premiere offensive defenseman is just as important as the five tools skillset Heiskanen brings. Kind of like Dallas' version of PK (Honka) and Josi (Klingberg).
-Gavin Bayreuther over Tufte at #6. The only reason I nitpicked the Heiskanen selection (I love the selection, don't get me wrong) is because Bayreuther looked that good taking over the #1 role in Texas. On raw skill alone, he's got all of Goligoski's strengths and none of his weaknesses. Maybe not as sturdy defensively, but a little more creative, and experience will serve him well. A deep six of Heiskanen-Klingberg, Lindell-Honka (wish we had taken a flyer on Beaulieu, or traded for Theodore when he was still in Anaheim for better LHD), and Bayreuther-Johns can't come soon enough.

I think it'll be fascinating to watch that internal competition play out over the next few years. Both have sky-high potential, but seem to play very different games. Personally, I think Heiskanen is a better prospect, but it's completely reasonable (and probably preferable, at this point) to think Honka is going to be better.

It's a great problem to have.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm not a scout, but I thought he was great in the games in Milwaukee. Ully too, but he was stuck in the bottom 6 even though there were all those callups.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Camp roster hasn't been released, but I noticed an invite from Twitter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad