Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
2.5%, too much depth ahead of him.

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Janmark-Spezza-Sharp
Roussel-Faksa-Hemsky
Eaves-Eakin-Ritchie

Realistically 11 forwards of top 9 quality plus Eaves who gets promoted up and down even though he isn't good IMO. Pretty much anybody in the top 9 who gets injured has 3 replacement choices. McKenzie is a guy who you can park in the press box and occasionally put in a 4th line spot and by all indications Cracknell is the same type of player. The call up last year after Faksa was Shore not Dickinson, so assuming Shore's shoulder is all healed up he's probably got the inside track when somebody with some skill needs to come up.

Nill's MO is to give guys like Honka, Shore, and Dickinson a huge AHL role instead of a marginal NHL one, so unless we need some contribution out of our 16th forward on the depth chart he'll be waiting one more year to be an NHL regular.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I like reading these. Any insight on the guys we let go?

I think Dallas probably made the right choice on all four.

Haydon's offensive game never really developed, despite what I would have expected. His defensive game is solid and he's mobile though. He was the one I thought "might" still get a contract. He'll return to the OHL as an overager and if he has a very good year, I could still see him earning an NHL contract.

Peters was in a similar situation to Haydon. It was a recovery year after tearing his ACL and quite frankly, he didn't look like the same defender this year. Offensively, he regressed. And defensively, his mobility looked to be hampered a bit. Like Haydon, if he comes back to the OHL, completely rejuvenated and motivated, he too could earn an NHL contract.

Moran just never developed any consistency to his game. Great size, but still prone to weak goals (which cause him to let in more weak goals) and poor positioning.

And Sanvido, I don't think he ever developed an identity. Hulking guy, but never really learned to use his size to dominate physically. His mobility, while it has improved, still isn't at an NHL level IMO. And offensively, his first pass never really improved all that much either and he can still struggle with the forecheck.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I think Dallas probably made the right choice on all four.

Haydon's offensive game never really developed, despite what I would have expected. His defensive game is solid and he's mobile though. He was the one I thought "might" still get a contract. He'll return to the OHL as an overager and if he has a very good year, I could still see him earning an NHL contract.

Peters was in a similar situation to Haydon. It was a recovery year after tearing his ACL and quite frankly, he didn't look like the same defender this year. Offensively, he regressed. And defensively, his mobility looked to be hampered a bit. Like Haydon, if he comes back to the OHL, completely rejuvenated and motivated, he too could earn an NHL contract.

Moran just never developed any consistency to his game. Great size, but still prone to weak goals (which cause him to let in more weak goals) and poor positioning.

And Sanvido, I don't think he ever developed an identity. Hulking guy, but never really learned to use his size to dominate physically. His mobility, while it has improved, still isn't at an NHL level IMO. And offensively, his first pass never really improved all that much either and he can still struggle with the forecheck.

Thanks again Brock, see you next year!

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Russia U20 NT coach Valeri Bragin is quite unhappy about Guryanov getting mostly 4-th line minutes in the AHL, questions if he will be able to show progress that way.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah don't really understand that either. He played 4th line minutes with terrible linemates last year in the KHL as well doing it here too isn't much of an improvement . Texas isn't even all that great this year .

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The whole point of bringing him over to NA was to get him playing more minutes.

Pelle Lindbergh

Sep 9, 2006
Montreal
Brent Moran

Can you tell me if this goalie, still in the plans for Dallas, under contract ?
He was draft in 2012 i think and still playing in the junior league.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
2014 Draft and no i don't think Dallas gave him a contract.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I noticed that Markus Ruusu was picked for WJC camp.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I noticed that Markus Ruusu was picked for WJC camp.

He's put up some good numbers in Finland top league (liiga). Going 3-1 with a GAA of 1.91 and a .940 S%

Not so good number in Finland seconds league though. Not sure how good each team is

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Dickinson is also doing good. 12 games with 10 points ( 4 goals, 6 assists )

Dickinson has been good, but hit or miss.

Heck of a shot when he lets it go.

Had a sweet goal the other night where he cut through the D with speed and scored high on a ripper from distance. Beautiful. I want to see him do more of that...too many nights he's unimpactful.

He's close to NHL-ready.

Next season he should become a regular.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Brett Ritchie has graduated from HF Prospects. :handclap:

Recent Graduates:

Nemeth (Offseason Graduate)
Johns (Offseason Graduate)
Faksa
Ritchie

Graduating This Season (Probably):

Lindell

Might Graduate This Season:

Shore
Lindell

That's a changing of the guard on our prospect pool.

Need to replenish.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There's a couple of prospects that look solid from recent years . Of course most of them are still years away but had good seasons for their current clubs so far.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
if you had to order the team's best prospects, how would you slot the top 5-10 guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad