Prospect Info: General Prospect Thread 2016-2017

Clardz

Jan 25, 2013
DFW
Went to the development camp today and have a couple of brief things to share:

Roope Hintz and Denis Guryanov look like men among boys (which hey, they're pretty much all boys at the end of the day).

Hintz has the most impressive all around game, albeit limited sample size, obviously.

Guryanov's shot is straight up nasty; fast and powerful. Pro shot.

Both skate very well, which leads into this observation:

About halfway through the practice session; which lasted from 10am til around 1pm, they ran through some back to basics power skating drills before a zamboni break. This is where the Euros really shined. It started out with basic inside edge end-to-end. Then outside edge, backwards skating drills, etc. A lot of the guys really struggled with these, which I honestly found surprising. I would say that if nothing else it speaks to European training programs (on into the pro level) having a greater emphasis on edgework. Either way was pretty eye opening to see.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
It makes sense that a pro team probably has a high quality skating coach that also works with the youth teams regularly. Just like I assume our goalie prospects don't work with Valley-level coaches before they get drafted.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Good to hear on our last year's top picks. Can't wait to see scrimmage on Saturday.

I think we were all a little worried about DG, after some spotty international performances, and while limited sample size, good to know he impresses in person.

Also, seems like it may free up some other prospects, like Dickenson and Shore (?) for that Ben Bishop trade, if it comes to that, knowing we have replacement forwards in the ranks.

Clardz

Jan 25, 2013
DFW
more interested in 2016 draftees and how they looked

good work plz give more info thnx

Tufte is very noticeable out there, but it's mostly due to his size. He has a lot growing to do in regards to his frame. He's pretty mobile from what I saw and let off some decent shots in drills. But as Stepneski said, he's definitely still a kid.

Caamano had a few good moves in some of the 1 on 1 drills, but that's really all I remember from the other 2016 picks.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'll get the top 20 voting started soon.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Went to the scrimmage yesterday. A few non-expert thoughts:

Tufte is noticeably large. He fumbled the puck a lot in drills, but then had two great in close goals where he had to grab and control the rebound of his own shot to poke the rebound by the goalie. My guess he is more of a gamer than a practice player, perhaps based on his Mr. Hockey status in MN HS hockey, where he had to clearly be better than most opponents.

DG didn't stand out as much as I thought he might, but he has a quick, powerful wrister, the best shot out there. I also noted he was at least concerned with getting back on D, not necessarily his rep on some prospect sites.

Roope Hintz also looked good, but not as dominant as I imagined he might based on an earlier post here.

Like last year, Gemel Smith and Ully impressed with speed, but both failed to convert on some breakaways. I get the impression they have lower line potential on a team like the Stars that value skating.

Devin Shore was somewhat quiet, given his write ups about NHL potential, injury, etc.

Gardiner and Cammano from this years class were noticeable and looked good.

2015 6th round pick Goalie Markus Ruusu looked markedly better than Landon Bow, who seemed to have lost his confidence after one goal, and let several in a row in after.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Ully as the half prospect?

:laugh:

I was thinking we'd have a couple undersized guys to choose from for that distinction. But I guess for the most part, most of our prospects are pretty tall.

Height and speed seems to be what we're after...Al Davis would be proud...I bet a lot of our guys have great 40 yard dash times.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Where's the games played cutoff at? And do we count playoff games or not?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think it usually is 60 GP, not including playoffs. HF's (former) standards. I'll double check.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
So no Oleksiak, Janmark, or Nemeth then. Also no Campbell, Pollack or Jokipakka from last year's list. Plus all the 2014 draftees are gone, so 7 new picks plus Bow doesn't exactly scream 25 deep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad