Feb 21, 2010

The guy tries too hard sometimes, but I thought this was quite amusing :laugh:

The land of idiots, saunas and alcohol.

Last edited:

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
Well, it is. It just... is. People seem to think it's a mind-blowing, earth-shattering experience and you should do anything and everything to get it. It isn't.

Pretty sure you have no idea which movie that gif is from, or what is happening in the scene...

If you did, I think you'd find my simple response of that gif to have a drastically different meaning than how you took it...

Just sayin'

ewoksonhoth

Lolorado
Jul 4, 2012
One Great City!
Not to derail the sex talk, but I just found out that Reslife on campus has basically pulled a bait and switch on me and three of my friends. We were promised a brand new three room suite in a building they're renovating and apparently not only is the building not going to be ready by the move in date (it's been pushed back twice and today they decided to completely delay it), but apparently the suite we were promised doesn't actually exist. They're trying to squeeze all four of us into a regular sized dorm for the same price. Wonderful to hear I have to move out of where I'm at on Friday (was supposed to go Sunday) right before my night shift.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Pretty sure you have no idea which movie that gif is from, or what is happening in the scene...

If you did, I think you'd find my simple response of that gif to have a drastically different meaning than how you took it...

Just sayin'

You posted a .gif from "A Clockwork Orange". I've seen the movie. In fact, it's one of my favorite movies.

That doesn't mean that I'm going to praise you for being lazy and posting a .gif instead of an argument against my opinion which you obviously disagree with.

Please.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Did squats for the first time in two months yesterday. I've been doing leg press instead of it.

Two months ago, I did squats with 4x6x154 lbs, yesterday 4x6x200 lbs

Apparently I've made some progress.

Last edited:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
friends-dont-let-friends-skip-leg-day.jpg

Going to re-join a gym eventually. I haven't been a gym member since I was single, so that will be a whole different perspective.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
You posted a .gif from "A Clockwork Orange". I've seen the movie. In fact, it's one of my favorite movies.

That doesn't mean that I'm going to praise you for being lazy and posting a .gif instead of an argument against my opinion which you obviously disagree with.

Please.

Please yourself, dude...

If it is one of your favorite movies, then I am betting you absolutely do not get the point that Kubrick was making with the entire movie.

What tells me that?

You think I disagree with your earlier statement.

I was using the animated gif of Alex's aversion therapy sequence to agree with your bloody point.

The fact that our society has (essentially) created operant conditioning regarding sex, the drive for it, and (for lack of a better term) the lust for sex is very much well documented in film and television. Operant conditioning grows as a society grows as certain things become "okay" and certain others become "taboo". A movie based on a book about the source of human good, written in the 1960s, may not even apply to where we are at more than 50 years later.

I would actually argue that Burgess' initial concern about the government using aversion therapy against the public doesn't apply to the world today at all. If you were to supplant the role of the "government" in A Clockwork Orange with the "media elite" (hollywood, news, and the multiple sources of alternative media which shapes public opinion) it would still be applicable today.

However...

I would possibly suggest that you set aside your flame thrower. Going through life with so much internal anger is going to cause issues for your health.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Oh we're talking about good classic movies?

How about the best classic of the last 15 years:
black-hawk-down.jpg

So gud.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Please yourself, dude...

If it is one of your favorite movies, then I am betting you absolutely do not get the point that Kubrick was making with the entire movie.

What tells me that?

You think I disagree with your earlier statement.

I was using the animated gif of Alex's aversion therapy sequence to agree with your bloody point.

The fact that our society has (essentially) created operant conditioning regarding sex, the drive for it, and (for lack of a better term) the lust for sex is very much well documented in film and television. Operant conditioning grows as a society grows as certain things become "okay" and certain others become "taboo". A movie based on a book about the source of human good, written in the 1960s, may not even apply to where we are at more than 50 years later.

I would actually argue that Burgess' initial concern about the government using aversion therapy against the public doesn't apply to the world today at all. If you were to supplant the role of the "government" in A Clockwork Orange with the "media elite" (hollywood, news, and the multiple sources of alternative media which shapes public opinion) it would still be applicable today.

However...

I would possibly suggest that you set aside your flame thrower. Going through life with so much internal anger is going to cause issues for your health.

See, there's the answer. Much better than a .gif. That wasn't so hard, was it?

Oh, and best movie in the last 15 years is either Fight Club or American History X. Both are great.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
That movie always makes me rage

Because of how the soldiers' bodies were treated, or what?

Reading the book was a different kind of anger, for me. There were a handful of chapters that told the point-of-view of a Somali militiaman, as well as a few chapters from the captured pilots' POV after he was captured/in captivity. I feel like Bowden, the writer, inserted them to not only tell the full story but kind of add some sympathy/a good angle to the Somali side, it was mostly a failure.

While some of the Somalis were nice/friendly toward the Americans, the vast majority were basically saying "Screw you, we don't want help! You came in here, we can mutilate your dead as much as we want!"

And coming from a community/high school that had lots of race-issues with Somalis growing up, I feel like it hit home a bit differently for me than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad