Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XI - Providence Bruins to play abbreviated season in Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
No sombrero or hat will be eaten. It's blind hope to actually think they won't QO him.

IMO, it would be pretty stupid to not QO a guy that you've developed for the past
few years and has shown improvement throughout that time. i know a lot of people
like stat lines, and while they are important, it's also important to see the body of
work. is senyshyn a disappointment? based on where he was drafted and what people
expected, that's obvious. but is he useless? far from it, and i still say he's gonna be
a good bottom 6 guy with great wheels.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
IMO, it would be pretty stupid to not QO a guy that you've developed for the past
few years and has shown improvement throughout that time. i know a lot of people
like stat lines, and while they are important, it's also important to see the body of
work. is senyshyn a disappointment? based on where he was drafted and what people
expected, that's obvious. but is he useless? far from it, and i still say he's gonna be
Nugs you also interested in the sombrero...

BruinsNetwork

Yes and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with getting a middle-six or even solid third-line player with good attributes for the modern version of the NHL going forward. Senyshyn is younger than a lot of NCAA free agents that I’ve seen suggested in years past as well. He looked pretty good in his stint before injury and I believe he’ll pick up exactly where he left off when he’s recalled.

The organization likes Senyshyn and still believes he’ll be a useful player.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I think the interesting exercise would be asking whether you would let Senyshyn go without a QO in order to bring in two college free agents, like Wolff and one of the many available right shooting forwards this year? The NCAA prospects won't likely be better than fourth liners, in the unlikely event they make the NHL. But what's Senyshyn's upside at this point?

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I think the interesting exercise would be asking whether you would let Senyshyn go without a QO in order to bring in two college free agents, like Wolff and one of the many available right shooting forwards this year? The NCAA prospects won't likely be better than fourth liners, in the unlikely event they make the NHL. But what's Senyshyn's upside at this point?

There will be some PBruin forwards that don’t get re-signed so Sweeney can use those openings to go after undrafted NCAA free agents. From what you’ve seen the past two years what do you think Senyshyn’s upside is ?

BlackFrancis

Dec 14, 2013
There will be some PBruin forwards that don’t get re-signed so Sweeney can use those openings to go after undrafted NCAA free agents. From what you’ve seen the past two years what do you think Senyshyn’s upside is ?
How can you determine that in a fair fashion? His tools and OHL pedigree suggest a 2nd line upside. His professional career to date suggest he's about 1/5th the player Daniel Paille was.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but that leaves you divining the true middle out of a complete mess. So, I guess I'd say 40% chance of being an NHL 4th line wing, 20% chance of being an NHL 3rd line wing, 20% chance of working in a call center. And every pointless weekend moves the pivot towards causal Friday.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
How can you determine that in a fair fashion? His tools and OHL pedigree suggest a 2nd line upside. His professional career to date suggest he's about 1/5th the player Daniel Paille was.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but that leaves you divining the true middle out of a complete mess. So, I guess I'd say 40% chance of being an NHL 4th line wing, 20% chance of being an NHL 3rd line wing, 20% chance of working in a call center. And every pointless weekend moves the pivot towards causal Friday.

If the Bruins thought Senyshyn was 1/5th the player Daniel Paille is he would be gone by now imo. I think the kid is an NHL 3rd liner from what I have seen. My biggest gripe is the kid gloves handling of Senyshyn is frustrating. Throw Zboril and Senyshyn into the fire and see what you have.

BlackFrancis

Dec 14, 2013
I somehow mangled editing my reply, but whatever.

Regarding the AHL guys leaving open spots, this summer will be sort of weird. They will be signing at least one and maybe two guys playing for Providence this season, in Zecc and maybe Lantosi. That may leave one fewer spot than we'd normally see.

BruinsNetwork

Why would the Bruins release a prospect that they've been developing to bring in someone who's on average one year older than him? You say "at this point" as if he's a 25-year-old prospect who's never gotten a sniff, aka Fitzgerald. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he not get recalled by Boston this year, play well and even produce points in the NHL?

NCAA junior and senior free agents are most likely older than Senyshyn...so...you want to replace a younger prospect with an older one?

Reactions: wintersej

BlackFrancis

Dec 14, 2013
Why would the Bruins release a prospect that they've been developing to bring in someone who's on average one year older than him? You say "at this point" as if he's a 25-year-old prospect who's never gotten a sniff, aka Fitzgerald. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he not get recalled by Boston this year, play well and even produce points in the NHL?

NCAA junior and senior free agents are most likely older than Senyshyn...so...you want to replace a younger prospect with an older one?
I said interesting, though I should have said more interesting. Not qualifying him just because isn't going to happen and it probably won't happen for any reason this summer. I simply thought thinking about it on other, more practical terms would be better than, the "You!" "No, You!" thing.

Apologies for not labeling that hypothetical for what it should have been.

As far as Senyshyn getting called up and producing. He did. But like I said I think yesterday, I'm done trying to make sense of that kid and what the Bruins are doing with him. I'm not good at it and there's no positives to be gained in doing so.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I somehow mangled editing my reply, but whatever.

Regarding the AHL guys leaving open spots, this summer will be sort of weird. They will be signing at least one and maybe two guys playing for Providence this season, in Zecc and maybe Lantosi. That may leave one fewer spot than we'd normally see.[/QUOTE.

Cehlarik, Fitzgerald and Gaunce could all be gone. Zech would take Sherman or Petrovics spot. I don’t think that Senyshyn would still be with the organization if Sweeney didn’t have intention of bringing him back. I don’t want to see him in the AHL again. Cut Senyshyn lose to another organization.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
And...you would be ok with this? So it was a bad draft to begin with... and you would be ok to keep adding to that mistake, in order to maybe hope the project that was supposed to be a 2,3 maybe 4 years become a 6 years project?

I personally don't think he deserves any more resources dedicated to his development, he hasn't showed enough growth in those D5+ years.

Lol, I wish... so I could shake his head.
It's not about hate, or love, it's about asset management. It's business nothing personal. Its an investment, at some point that investment needs to keep it's value or bring some profit, if not, you need to invest in something else.

It's so nice that you care about Jeremy Jacobs' money so much. I don't know if you're American, but if you are, do you also check off the box on your taxes to voluntarily donate more money to the government?

Senyshyn's existence on the team isn't hurting anyone else's development. His qualifying offer is around $875k, which wouldn't be on the cap if he's in the AHL, and if he's in the NHL, then that cap hit would be close to 1% of the total cap (aka nothing). There's no reason at all to not offer him the qualifying offer.

I honestly don't understand how you could logically think they're not going to qualify him. I don't think you actually believe that, or else you'd take up @BruinsFanSince94's bet to eat a hat. If you're so certain, there's no risk to you.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Yeah, I’m not quite sure why that’s being omitted as of late.
Do you remember Tyler Randell? He scored 6 goals in 27 games in Boston and hasn't done the same since in the AHL.

People omit his NHL play because over the grand scheme of things, it is utterly irreverent. Anomalies happen and his 165 AHL games is a far better judge than his 6 NHL games. You are basically putting a huge amount of stock in 3% of his professional games played vs the other 97%.

Age is one (massive) concern, but another is also waivers. While NCAA FA's are older, next season Senyshyn will have to pass through waivers if I am not mistaken. That really hinders the team and what they can do with him. So dropping a younger prospect for an older one whom you think has more potential, and more roster flexibility isn't as unrealistic as you think. I still think he will be qualified anyway

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Do you remember Tyler Randell? He scored 6 goals in 27 games in Boston and hasn't done the same since in the AHL.

People omit his NHL play because over the grand scheme of things, it is utterly irreverent. Anomalies happen and his 165 AHL games is a far better judge than his 6 NHL games. You are basically putting a huge amount of stock in 3% of his professional games played vs the other 97%.

Age is one (massive) concern, but another is also waivers. While NCAA FA's are older, next season Senyshyn will have to pass through waivers if I am not mistaken. That really hinders the team and what they can do with him. So dropping a younger prospect for an older one whom you think has more potential, and more roster flexibility isn't as unrealistic as you think. I still think he will be qualified anyway

Yeah but dropping THIS prospect for an older one with more roster flexibility is still very unrealistic though. And that’s what we are talking about here.

I don’t see his flexibility being an issue. If he struggles when up next year then you waive him. No big deal.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
It's so nice that you care about Jeremy Jacobs' money so much. I don't know if you're American, but if you are, do you also check off the box on your taxes to voluntarily donate more money to the government?

Senyshyn's existence on the team isn't hurting anyone else's development. His qualifying offer is around $875k, which wouldn't be on the cap if he's in the AHL, and if he's in the NHL, then that cap hit would be close to 1% of the total cap (aka nothing). There's no reason at all to not offer him the qualifying offer.

I honestly don't understand how you could logically think they're not going to qualify him. I don't think you actually believe that, or else you'd take up @BruinsFanSince94's bet to eat a hat. If you're so certain, there's no risk to you.
I honestly don't understand how you could logically think someone else would follow on the (lack of word) idea of eating a hat? I mean...how (lack of words and expletives) seriously think in any reality this could happen.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Let's put it this way. The most recent guys not to get a qualifying offer at the end of their entry deals were Justin Hickman and Ben Sexton.
There's a lot more context to it than just a simple QO. a QO of $$875 to play in the AHl for a 15th pick overall that has shown very little improvement, and is not the type of player that they draft to begin with. He was a scorer... he can't score to save his life now. They had to develop him in a different role since his offensive game alone or lack of it wouldn't make it to the NHL. His hockey sense is also a huge question mark. I'm pretty sure they will try to trade him for a similar player in same condition. If not, I won't be surprised if they don't QO him. Nothing personal just business.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
For my Providence peeps
Who's been the biggest surprise thus far
Biggest disappointment
Most improved from last year
I'll give my take later tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad