Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XI - Providence Bruins to play abbreviated season in Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malt

Jul 6, 2007
Providence, RI
Great weekend for Providence. The team has really brought their game to another level over the past couple of weeks.

Both goalies have been fantastic. It's hard to believe Vladar is 8-7-1 on the year. He deserved more goal support during the month of January in particular.

Gaunce is finally playing well and had a good weekend. Frederick is on a cold streak now and was playing better when he was racking up the PIMs.

I hate to admit it, but I'm throwing in the towel in regards to my support for Senyshyn. 1g, 1a in his past eight games. No shots on goal during the three game home stand. His linemates, Woods and Gaunce, are producing and/or being involved physically. I know he's developing, learning the right way to play, etc. etc., but I've been watching hockey for 35+ years now and my eyes tell me there's nothing going on with this young man. He doesn't have the puck on his stick enough. He's not tough to knock off the puck like a Charlie Coyle. He's become a passenger. I hate to write this, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Great weekend for Providence. The team has really brought their game to another level over the past couple of weeks.

Both goalies have been fantastic. It's hard to believe Vladar is 8-7-1 on the year. He deserved more goal support during the month of January in particular.

Gaunce is finally playing well and had a good weekend. Frederick is on a cold streak now and was playing better when he was racking up the PIMs.

I hate to admit it, but I'm throwing in the towel in regards to my support for Senyhsyn. 1g, 1a in his past eight games. No shots on goal during the three game home stand. His linemates, Woods and Gaunce, are producing and/or being involved physically. I know he's developing, learning the right way to play, etc. etc., but I've been watching hockey for 35+ years now and my eyes tell me there's nothing going on with this young man. He doesn't have the puck on his stick enough. He's not tough to knock off the puck like a Charlie Coyle. He's become a passenger. I hate to write this but it is what it is.
I didn't like his game either this weekend fwiw
Funny how it works though,Senyshyn falters, Steen emerges

Reactions: Malt

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
It's whipping boy Highlander.
Not to pick on Senyshyn or Frederic for that matter but these guys should be making their move upward not sideways, they're making it harder on themselves long term,Lauzon forced his way up as did Bjork and Kuhlman ,there's 7 million in Cap Space from Boston,they'll make room for you if you give them enough reasons to do so
Some of these guys aren't pushing the envelope nearly enough

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Not to pick on Senyshyn or Frederic for that matter but these guys should be making their move upward not sideways, they're making it harder on themselves long term,Lauzon forced his way up as did Bjork and Kuhlman ,there's 7 million in Cap Space from Boston,they'll make room for you if you give them enough reasons to do so
It's a killer, honestly.

I look at Fred as the forward version of Vladar. Vladar would have these mini-spurts where he would look like a world beater, then be terrible for the rest of the season. But he always had the one or two spurts that hooked you into hoping he could find consistency. Frederic has had big swathes of very good play bracketed by periods of abject invisibility. With the bigger samples of good play, he gets higher expectations that he'll get it eventually, but way more frustration that he can't seem to get there. And with Sweeney bringing in two fourth liners every damn summer, you just look at the kid and wonder what the hell is he thinking? They've fed him opportunities and he keeps bringing the invisible man up to Boston with him.

Maddening.

The fact Senyshyn's most productive run as a pro was his four game stint in Boston is just one of those things you can't figure. Best not to even make the attempt to rationalize it.

The shame in all this is poor Gaunce, who looked above average in camp and then great in Providence until Cross killed him. Without that, he might have been up in Boston for Ritchie a couple/few weeks after. Instead, he's going to be an afterthought, and any chances at the Boston roster are more than likely going to trade acquisitions.

Providence delivered Bjork, and they do a bang up job delivering defensemen ready to play, but it just feels like an extremely disappointing season, development-wise.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Is it time for a different approach to Senyshyn's development? Because it sure seems like this slow and steady/learn the 200 ft. game approach isnt' working here nearly a half decade since his draft year. What may work for Prospect A may not work for Prospect B in terms of a development approach or program.

What is his confidence like at this point as a former 1st rounder, now 3rd year pro, and he's floating between lines 3 and 4 with career minor leaguers most of the time. It has to be completely shot by now.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Is it time for a different approach to Senyshyn's development? Because it sure seems like this slow and steady/learn the 200 ft. game approach isnt' working here nearly a half decade since his draft year. What may work for Prospect A may not work for Prospect B in terms of a development approach or program.

What is his confidence like at this point as a former 1st rounder, now 3rd year pro, and he's floating between lines 3 and 4 with career minor leaguers most of the time. It has to be completely shot by now.
Something I have noticed is how much worse his offensive game has gotten in the past year. Last season he started the season playing with Hughes and Cehlarik, playing around 3rd to 2nd line minutes. In those first 29 games he had 12 goals. Then he got injured and since has 7 goals to include his first NHL goal. He has to play with those 2 at the same time since. It makes me wonder if it's confidence or something else.

Reactions: BruinDust

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

The “approach” was nothing more than the organization covering for themselves and a player who after getting the player in the system realized he wasn’t nearly good enough to warrant a first round pick, or to warrant top 6 minutes. So when people ask them why their first round pick is buried in the ahl they need to say something that doesnt kill the players confidence or lead to media backlash about the player. So they just tell the player he needs work on his 200 foot game and tell the media the same so people won’t question why he’s not getting top line minutes.

then what happens is everyone believes the team and gets angry when “the uninformed” questions the pick because those people don’t understand the big picture. Then a few years go by and the player is still toiling in the minors and the vocal minority has moved on to other parts of the team and the media that believed providence feels embarrassed and the last thing they want to do is admit they believed a lie so the player just fades into oblivion and the organization skates on being criticized for the pick because everyone kind of is over it.

Now we know, right? Now we know that next time a high pick is “working on his 200 foot game” that means “this pick hasn’t worked and we are trying to bury him so you don’t get mad at us.” Now we know.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Couple observations:

Frederic, he needs to be involved physically to make his offense work. When he is playing a more passive game and looking to avoid penalties his whole game suffers. I don't know if he was told to be more disciplined by Leach/management or if he has chosen to ratchet back his physical, borderline dirty play but he needs to play on the edge, much like Marchand, his whole game revolves around it and he is more engaged when aggravating other players or being run at.

Gaunce is finally playing like he was at the start of the season after his concussion, depending on what Sweeney does by the deadline he may be an option at 4th line LW or C. Has some grit, speed and skill. Up until now this has really been a bit of a lost season for him due to injuries.

Petrovic should not be getting power play time but he should be dressed as a big, physical presence. He makes some ill advised plays and needs to be a support player not a go to player. He is nice to have in Providence due to NHL experience and his size, and occasional physicality.

I was really hard on Brendan Woods at the start of the season when he did not step up and fight McCarron. He has grown on me as the season has progressed. I would give him an NHL contract at some point, he has age against him (28 this June) but he could be one of the many potential fourth line players for Boston. His size sets him apart from the pack to a point. He has more skill than I anticipated.

Brett Ritchie, the bigger version of Danton Heinen had a couple of good games when first sent down but is invisible far too much. He seems to settling into hos new career minor leaguer status while probably keeping an eye on Europe next season. Waste of talent which should have seen him have a decent NHL career, looks more and more like he just doesn't care.

Reactions: bbfan419

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Good, bad & ugly from Providence Bruins weekend

BAD
— Robert Lantosi has gone 10 games without a goal.
— The P-Bruins had no power plays in Friday night’s game. Wilkes-Barre / Scranton had four.
— Zach Senyshyn has gone three straight games without a shot on goal.
— Providence was outshot, 16-6, in the third period against Laval.
UGLY
— Injured: Peter Cehlarik, Chris Breen, Jakub Lauko, Brett Ritchie

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Good, bad & ugly from Providence Bruins weekend

BAD
— Robert Lantosi has gone 10 games without a goal.
— The P-Bruins had no power plays in Friday night’s game. Wilkes-Barre / Scranton had four.
— Zach Senyshyn has gone three straight games without a shot on goal.
— Providence was outshot, 16-6, in the third period against Laval.
UGLY
— Injured: Peter Cehlarik, Chris Breen, Jakub Lauko, Brett Ritchie
Where’s the Good?

Reactions: wintersej and TCB

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The blue letters (link) at the top... click on it. o_O

Just so weird how you decided to only post the bad and ugly portion of the piece. Must have been because Senyshyn was included. Lmao.

So let's take that question I asked in the TDL here since it's more on topic...

Why do you think the Bruins won't qualify Senyshyn? After all these years of developing him, you really think this? Feels more like what you want to happen. Thoughts?

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Last time you pm me... I thought you understood. I guess not.
I understand you don't like Senyshyn. I just think that you constantly saying stuff about it is getting over the top. I haven't said much about it since and probably won't in the future.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Just so weird how you decided to only post the bad and ugly portion of the piece. Must have been because Senyshyn was included. Lmao.

So let's take that question I asked in the TDL here since it's more on topic...

Why do you think the Bruins won't qualify Senyshyn? After all these years of developing him, you really think this? Feels more like what you want to happen. Thoughts?
My thoughts on it are well documented, it's no secret.

Contrary to the super fans... I don't believe he has what it takes to be a regular in the NHL. No hockey sense, not a scorer, not a play maker, we already have lots of those for less money that bring a lot more than what Senyshyn brings. A slow learner that doesn't have what it takes to be a Bruins.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I understand you don't like Senyshyn. I just think that you constantly saying stuff about it is getting over the top. I haven't said much about it since and probably won't in the future.
It's not about love, it's more about not believing in the hype, which I stayed away for 2 years, until it was more than clear he doesn't have what it takes.

So it's ok to be a believer... but not ok to be a non believer... is how this works? People can just flat out say whatever they want as long it's in line with the super fans ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad