Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XI - Providence Bruins to play abbreviated season in Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Question out of curiosity: with Swayman likely to come over from the University of Maine, do you think he beats out Darth Vladar for the starting role? I only ask because it feels like the Bruins have been hyping the hell out of Swayman now after being tepidly promoting Vladar as "the goalie of the future" for years. Despite that, the kid hasn't made any major strides to give Don a reason to call him up. Granted that's impossible with Halak and Rask as the tandem now, but Vladar could have made his way up when Khudobin was here I'd think.
Swayman signed back in March so he will be coming over. Now it will be between him and Keyser to see who gets the backup role in Providence and who gets the starter role in Atlanta.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Question out of curiosity: with Swayman likely to come over from the University of Maine, do you think he beats out Darth Vladar for the starting role? I only ask because it feels like the Bruins have been hyping the hell out of Swayman now after being tepidly promoting Vladar as "the goalie of the future" for years. Despite that, the kid hasn't made any major strides to give Don a reason to call him up. Granted that's impossible with Halak and Rask as the tandem now, but Vladar could have made his way up when Khudobin was here I'd think.
I don't think I've ever once seen anyone posit Vladar as the goalie of the future. Hopeful he could be a serviceable NHL backup, maybe, but never more than that.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I don't think I've ever once seen anyone posit Vladar as the goalie of the future. Hopeful he could be a serviceable NHL backup, maybe, but never more than that.
I think it's still to early to put a cap on what he'll end up being, prior to his long dominate stretch he was consistently inconsistent, he was a raw but enormous,core strength looked to be an issue, played to deep in his net but at the same time did enough to keep me and others interested, he has the potential to be in the same conversation as Igor Shesterkin,high praise I know.
My one concern ,does Vladar have the stamina to play 50 games as "the guy" while maintaining his prior high level performance
We'll see

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
It seems to me that somehow the best and worst case scenario is that he plays lights out next year. If he plays well, Seattle might consider taking him in the expansion draft, but if he's worthy of being taken over some of the other options (assuming no trade), then you'd hate to lose him with Rask getting older.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Cehlarik gone

Will the bruins extend a qualifying offer? When does that need to happen? Deadline?

No secrete I liked Cehlarik however his lack of speed and will to win puck battles didn't sit well with Cassidy. Tremendous vision and passing ability. Really too bad. I had high hopes for the kid.

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Maybe he goes to Europe and it really clicks there and he works on his speed which is a huge reason he's not successful at the NHL level. He's too slow. Then you have a potential in-house depth option if you convince him to return. Or you trade his rights for a conditional pick.

Either way, good luck to him.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Maybe he goes to Europe and it really clicks there and he works on his speed which is a huge reason he's not successful at the NHL level. He's too slow. Then you have a potential in-house depth option if you convince him to return. Or you trade his rights for a conditional pick.

Either way, good luck to him.

Well said.

He's had good AHL season. Change of scenery - reasonable next step.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Will the bruins extend a qualifying offer? When does that need to happen? Deadline?

No secrete I liked Cehlarik however his lack of speed and will to win puck battles didn't sit well with Cassidy. Tremendous vision and passing ability. Really too bad. I had high hopes for the kid.

October 7 2020 is the deadline for qualifying offers...

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Anyone looking at the AHL contracts? Are players and vets signing or are they all trying to go to Europe or what. Will they league be watered down significantly? I doubt they play anytime before FEB at the earliest but who knows.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
No fans at the Dunk, I'm sure.
I doubt it. AHL is gate driven league, if they cannot get fans to go I cant see them losing the type of money the league would playing to empty buildings. AHL live is not any type of incentive for the league to start.

Reactions: 08SeaBass08
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia