Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XI - Providence Bruins to play abbreviated season in Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Good to hear Leach discuss Senyshyn & Zboril and I wasn’t seeing what I wanted to on my February/March trips to Providence

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
Good to hear Leach discuss Senyshyn & Zboril and I wasn’t seeing what I wanted to on my February/March trips to Providence
On Zboril: "Very much like Senyshyn, the last 12 games or 15 games, became probably our best defenseman overall. His ability to move the puck cleanly is just, really there's not many who can do it at our level."

Holy moly, that is some high praise.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Holy moly, that is some high praise.
I’ve said he reminded me of Brad McCrimmon who went by Sarge. Brad controlled the front first and foremost and then smartly would make an excellent first pass. There was a way he did it / Zboril end of year looked like that. Now in his brief appearance in Boston he looked like he didn’t want to make a mistake. I’m rooting for him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Watching Zboril in person during that 12-0-1 stretch was fantastic stuff. For the first time in a while he looked like his SJS days.
You put this stuff on Twitter I’d love to see the Keyboard Warriors shoot Leach down.

member 96824

It's his third year pro and I think people tend to, and I get it, it's professional hockey and there's expectations there. But in our mind and in Seny's mind, he's exactly where he needs to be and that's that he's starting to really develop."

giphy.gif

member 96824

We like your overall game Zach, now if you could just go and do everything you're doing today, but differently. And one last thing, focus only on defense. Mmmkay?

Don sits down in 2017 to draw up the 4 year plan:

"Don, I noticed you didn't fill in a top 6 RW spot, is that because you're planning to use a player you picked 5 years prior in the 1st round for one of those spots?"
"Nah, I'm just really hoping Brett Ritchie becomes available to us"

Note: I'm not knocking his development, I don't doubt the accounts that he looked significantly better the last month...I'm laughing at the attempt here to piss on my head and call it rain because he's "right where they want him to be" and anything different just people's wild expectations

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Don sits down in 2017 to draw up the 4 year plan:

"Don, I noticed you didn't fill in a top 6 RW spot, is that because you're planning to use a player you picked 5 years prior in the 1st round for one of those spots?"
"Nah, I'm just really hoping Brett Ritchie becomes available to us"

Note: I'm not knocking his development, I don't doubt the accounts that he looked significantly better the last month...I'm laughing at the attempt here to piss on my head and call it rain because he's "right where they want him to be" and anything different just people's wild expectations

Yep, I get where you're coming from. I also am of the belief that the organization picking an offensively minded player like ZS and then literally recreating his game to be that of a 3 zone player with defensive responsibility is a huge part of why he hasn't progressed. If you want 3 zone players, draft a 3 zone player. Don't take a guy like this and make him stop doing what he does well. Instead of a top 6 player, they've now turned him into a bottom 6 grinder.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Man Studnicka really impresses me. Watching the Q&A video in the article you can tell the kid has great character. Even when someone asked him the question if there was anyone he look forward to playing on a line with he didn’t answer it. Kind of saying that he needs to earn his spot playing with those tops guys and that he look forward to being around all of them. Also talking about how he felt this years providence team was special because of them being a team first team that just wanted to win.

It always drove me nuts hearing these kids like Spooner saying that preferred to play center instead of wing. Him and Vatrano speaking out against Claude how he didn’t like them. Koko and more recently Cehlarik talking about how they weren’t given a chance. Donato complaining about the team after he was traded.

Studnicka at the beginning of this year was asked about trying to make the team. He said I will play wherever the organization feels is best and work his hardest.

he seems like a really good kid who is going to go about his business, play his hardest and I bet you it is going to pay off in the near future.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
they gave this chump exceptional status but not Jack Hughes

I know the OHL gets blamed for denying Hughes Exceptional Status. But it was Hockey Canada that denied it. It's quite simple, Hughes is an American and would have required another transfer from USA Hockey to play in Canada. Hard to say whether USA Hockey would have signed his transfer card because they wanted him with the UNTDP. Still, I would have like to see Hockey Canada grant him the status and see where it would have led. Those disagreements are usually settled by the IIHF.

As for Day, he was extremely talented. Very few could skate like him and handle the puck like him. Unfortunately, off ice issues took its toll.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I really liked Lantosi in the World Championship before he signed with Providence. He showed great speed and some hands. I hope he somehow makes it to the NHL. Slovakia desperately needs forwards, even depth players...

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Question out of curiosity: with Swayman likely to come over from the University of Maine, do you think he beats out Darth Vladar for the starting role? I only ask because it feels like the Bruins have been hyping the hell out of Swayman now after being tepidly promoting Vladar as "the goalie of the future" for years. Despite that, the kid hasn't made any major strides to give Don a reason to call him up. Granted that's impossible with Halak and Rask as the tandem now, but Vladar could have made his way up when Khudobin was here I'd think.

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad