Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XI - Providence Bruins to play abbreviated season in Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Wasn’t Voyer an invitee to the Development Camp? Thought I saw him at Buffalo tournament in October.

Impressive offensive numbers. Right shot RW too.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So, I was reading social media yesterday, after the three signings, and there are a bunch of people that don't understand why AHL deals versus NHL deals.

A lot of things come into play when a team decides to sign a player to an AHL deal. Hopefully, this explains some of it:

Dominic Tiano: Lyle, Messner, Moyer- Why AHL Contracts vs NHL?

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Brady Lyle is interesting. Good size, plays hard in all areas of the ice, was second on his team in scoring last season. I'm curious to see how he'll develop.

Reactions: CDJ

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Aside from my consistent complaining about the Providence feed on AHL TV I really enjoyed this season,12 game win streak will do that, might have been the last time in Uniform for Studnicka and Frederic,that's exciting
Lots of moving pieces for the Summer

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
AHL cancels remainder of season due to coronavirus pandemic - The Boston Globe

The Providence Bruins were on a 13-game unbeaten streak when the AHL's season paused.
That's how it will end for them.

The AHL, the top developmental hockey league, canceled the remainder of its season on Monday.

In a statement, the league said resumption was “not feasible in light of current conditions,” and its focus has shifted to 2020-21.

With 14 regular-season games remaining, the P-Bruins (38-18-6) had the second-best record in the league. They have not won their division since 2013. Their first and only Calder Cup was in 1999.

If and when the NHL resumes, players could be called up to serve as “black aces” during practices, AHL President Dave Andrews said, according to Postmedia.
Advertisement

Michael Traikos✔@Michael_Traikos

AHL Pres. Dave Andrews believes about a dozen players will get called up to their NHL team, with most skating as "black aces" reserves. In other words, the season isn't over for all the AHL players.
9:52 AM - May 11, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
15 people are talking about this
The most likely candidates to join the Bruins varsity would seem to be forwards Jack Studnicka, Trent Frederic, Karson Kuhlman, Brett Ritchie and Paul Carey; defensemen Urho Vaakanainen and Jakub Zboril, and goalie Dan Vladar.

Reactions: Spooner st

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Had 2 games left I hope to use next season

Feel bad for Zboril kid was so good at the end

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
NHL next?

Dont think it necessarily means that. AHL cancelling their season has been rumored since it was paused. Owners just not willing or unable to foot the bill for games with no fans. I do wonder if it possibly means expansion of call up rules for NHL teams when they return.

Reactions: Estlin

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
NHL next?
Very different dynamic. AHL is pretty much purely gate driven league and needs to fill arenas, NHL can get away with making millions on tv playing in empty buildings.

I don't think AHL cancelling will effect the NHL and still think we get some type of playoff..

Last edited:
Reactions: Estlin

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Not really surprised. But, the AHL Providence Bruins this year was a special team and so much fun to follow with all the feedback here on this message board.

Reactions: TCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad