General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Rumors/Speculation/News), Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Urbom's top projection is #5/#6, and that's assuming he ever becomes an everyday NHL player.

Sure, I wish Lou could have extracted a 5th round pick from somebody, but this move is pretty much, *yawn* from my perspective.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Has nothing to do with Deboer. This decision comes from the top. Which is not very reassuring. I get what's going on though. Harrold can help this team this year (maybe) and that's the goal. The goal is to avoid the embarrasment of not having a top 5 pick you lost for a player not even on your roster.

What? I'm not blaming waivers on Pete. I don't really care all that much about Urbom. Harrold should not be playing over Fayne. And Gionta should be in the pressbox.

Deboer clearly has his guys. He's in love with those who are fringe NHLers.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Urbom's top projection is #5/#6, and that's assuming he ever becomes an everyday NHL player.

Sure, I wish Lou could have extracted a 5th round pick from somebody, but this move is pretty much, *yawn* from my perspective.

Both Hockey's Future and Hockey Prospectus have him as a potential second pairing defensemen.

I don't put too much weight in projections anyway. Urbom could have very well pulled an Adam Henrique his age 22 season. Henrique was projected to be a fourth liner, wasn't he?

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Major major screwup by Lou. Urbom is a guy that will make us reget this pretty badly.

I'm really pissed.

Losing a guy like Tedenby would've felt a lot better.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
A Josefson-Gionta comparison is fine, but it's tough to argue with Olesz. He's not a center and we're extremely deep on the wing now with all of these signings, so where is he going to play? He's not better than Carter or Bernier.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't really care about Urbom specifically, he's a dime-a-dozen prospect to me, what kills me is that Harrold and Volchenkov still have jobs when they are clearly the weakest links on this hockey team.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I wonder why Urbom is even going to bother playing

Clearly he's ready for the HOF

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Major major screwup by Lou. Urbom is a guy that will make us reget this pretty badly.

I'm really pissed.

hahaha SERIOUSLY? I think your tune would be a bit different if it were Alex Johnson and not Alex Urbom.

how will a defensive minded DMan who probably projects to be a #5 at best going to make us regret losing him? come on.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
A Josefson-Gionta comparison is fine, but it's tough to argue with Olesz. He's not a center and we're extremely deep on the wing now with all of these signings, so where is he going to play? He's not better than Carter or Bernier.

I think for their career's Olesz is very comparable to Carter or Bernier.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I'm really pissed.

Organizational depth at their respective positions makes Urbom the easier to accept loss.

goph94

Freezing
Mar 21, 2006
As a Caps fan, I'll say that reports on Urbom make him the type of player that the Caps are in need of on the blueline. Prefaced with the fact I've never seen him play, Caps have a need for a steady, defensive-minded blueliner that has enough mobility + size in their own end to make things difficult for the opposition. Right now, Erskine is on the 2nd D pairing and while he provides a physical presence, he's shown time and again that his lack of footspeed keeps him from being able to shutdown anyone with decent quickness/agility.

Other than that, Mike Green and John Carlson are decidedly offensive dmen, with Alzner really being the only real "shutdown" dman. The 3rd pairing has been a revolving door with a bunch of guys that play hard, but none that are notable for their defensive abilities.

Urbom might not project to be more than a #5/#6, but that's what the Caps need. If that turns out to be accurate, I wouldn't say it's the end of the world that New Jersey lost him.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
With Tallinder, Moose, Urbom gone and Tedenby on the way, it seems the whole Swedish Empire we were building is crumbling.

At least there's Larsson and Yayo.

Was more so responding to ZBC implying that DevilsSwede was biased because Urbom is Swedish. When, in actuality, Tedenby is also swedish.

So his preference is actually not rooted in any national bias at all...

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I don't really care about Urbom specifically, he's a dime-a-dozen prospect to me, what kills me is that Harrold and Volchenkov still have jobs when they are clearly the weakest links on this hockey team.

I'm on the same page here

As a Caps fan, I'll say that reports on Urbom make him the type of player that the Caps are in need of on the blueline. Prefaced with the fact I've never seen him play, Caps have a need for a steady, defensive-minded blueliner that has enough mobility + size in their own end to make things difficult for the opposition. Right now, Erskine is on the 2nd D pairing and while he provides a physical presence, he's shown time and again that his lack of footspeed keeps him from being able to shutdown anyone with decent quickness/agility.

Other than that, Mike Green and John Carlson are decidedly offensive dmen, with Alzner really being the only real "shutdown" dman. The 3rd pairing has been a revolving door with a bunch of guys that play hard, but none that are notable for their defensive abilities.

Urbom might not project to be more than a #5/#6, but that's what the Caps need. If that turns out to be accurate, I wouldn't say it's the end of the world that New Jersey lost him.

He is VERY, VERY, VERY overrated by our board

You'd think he was the second coming

He has a lot to work on defensively, notably how he plays guys coming in on him over the blue line, has gotten beat fairly easily and as a result we've seen his poor pivoting skills when going to play catchup - he's shown he's not afraid to step up on offense, but is overall an ok defensemen

I'd love for him to prove me wrong, however I just don't see anything special coming out of him

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I want to see some of these posters apologize if Urbom becomes a good player. This board needs some accountability. Idk if he'll be anything, but for those that are sure he'll be nothing, can I have some lotto numbers?

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
He is VERY, VERY, VERY overrated by our board

You'd think he was the second coming

He has a lot to work on defensively, notably how he plays guys coming in on him over the blue line, has gotten beat fairly easily and as a result we've seen his poor pivoting skills when going to play catchup - he's shown he's not afraid to step up on offense, but is overall an ok defensemen

I'd love for him to prove me wrong, however I just don't see anything special coming out of him

Well it depends what you consider overrated. Again, if people stating "it's too soon to make an assessment on Urbom" is considered overrating him - then yea. Overrated. :shakehead

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I want to see some of these posters apologize if Urbom becomes a good player. This board needs some accountability. Idk if he'll be anything, but for those that are sure he'll be nothing, can I have some lotto numbers?

It's the internet. Accountability is a non-existent concept 99.9% of the time. If 5 years from now Urbom is in the Caps second pairing having success, those who are burying him at age 22 won't hold themselves accountable for anything.

All will be forgotten.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
seinfeld_no_thanks.gif

Happy opening night everybody

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

That depends on your definition of good. If he becomes what Mark Fraser is now then that's no skin off my nose but other people will cite it as proof positive we gave up on some great defenseman.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
It's the internet. Accountability is a non-existent concept 99.9% of the time. If 5 years from now Urbom is in the Caps second pairing having success, those who are burying him at age 22 won't hold themselves accountable for anything.

All will be forgotten.

Lol why should anyone have to be accountable for voicing their opinion in an online forum? That's taking things a bit too seriously.

As are the people who don't realize the reality that a) something had to budge with the Devils' personnel and b) Urbom isn't that valuable.

Mark Fraser stinks, by the way.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That depends on your definition of good. If he becomes what Mark Fraser is now then that's no skin off my nose but other people will cite it as proof positive we gave up on some great defenseman.

What if he is Mark Fayne good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad