General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Rumors/Speculation/News), Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What if he is Mark Fayne good?

Considering the Devils themselves don't think the 'current' version of Fayne's that valuable I'll be more annoyed over giving up on the orignal Fayne than Urbom before he became good enough to be a healthy scratch on our team.

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York
He's not a nothing prospect. He's a big guy who can skate and move the puck and is decent defensively. For a defensemen that's a terrific combination of skills. Is he ever going to be more than a complementary defenseman? Probably not. But he's still got second pairing upside.

You don't lose defensemen with that kind of skillset for nothing. Granted, in trade we probably couldn't have gotten too much, but I'll bet you he solidifies himself in the lineup and demonstrates that he can do Salvador's job as least as well as Salvador can by the time this season is over.

Not losing my mind over this, as we all knew it was a possibility. And never been too high on Urbom from when he first arrived out of shape.

But I agree with CD. He has a decent skill set and size. Defensemen take more time to develop. So with NHL experience, he could well become a valuable piece. Saying he is a "nothing prospect" is entirely premature and short sighted.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It's the internet. Accountability is a non-existent concept 99.9% of the time. If 5 years from now Urbom is in the Caps second pairing having success, those who are burying him at age 22 won't hold themselves accountable for anything.

All will be forgotten.
we'll see how people own up to certain things come April.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
the funny thing is when I said id be shocked if noone claimed him, then when the mainboard posted about him being waived, loads of fans wanted their team to take him..... and he was taken

but every team in the league has dime a dozen prospects like that, right?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the funny thing is when I said id be shocked if noone claimed him, then when the mainboard posted about him being waived, loads of fans wanted their team to take him..... and he was taken

people say things all the day on the main board (and here, for that matter) that are pretty ridiculous so that isn't the best argument....

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Lol why should anyone have to be accountable for voicing their opinion in an online forum? That's taking things a bit too seriously.

As are the people who don't realize the reality that a) something had to budge with the Devils' personnel and b) Urbom isn't that valuable.

Mark Fraser stinks, by the way.

This is ridiculous. What the hell does "Urbom isn't that valuable." mean? If he turns out to be a second pairing dman that's valuable. You don't have to be accountable for having a modest opinion or making a prediction, but sarcastically making fun of others or loudly shouting something and claiming others are morons for feeling the opposite of you requires accountability.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Lol why should anyone have to be accountable for voicing their opinion in an online forum? That's taking things a bit too seriously.

I think the concern is when people are so confident in their opinions that they become dismissive of other opinions. But then don't face the music when their opinion turns out totally wrong.

Now what does "facing the music" mean? I dunno, pushups maybe?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think the concern is when people are so confident in their opinions that they become dismissive of other opinions. But then don't face the music when their opinion turns out totally wrong.

I have said that I have been wrong plenty of times on here. Even today, I said I was wrong thinking Urbom wouldn't get claimed. But him getting claimed does not change the fact that he is likely never going to amount to anything in the NHL.

I also have bets with people on this board to help out with accountability because I totally agree, people here try to say ridiculous things sometimes with nothing to back it up.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013

This x100.

"My opinion is right and your opinion is so wrong it's ridiculous. As a matter of fact, every other person who agrees with your ridiculous opinion is equally ridiculous."

Like if the conversation is about the sky being blue.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This is ridiculous. What the hell does "Urbom isn't that valuable." mean? If he turns out to be a second pairing dman that's valuable. .

Well what if all we could have gotten for Urbom right now is a 5th rnd pick. I'd say that that is not very valuable.

Could Lou have gotten more in return? Say a 4th or 3rd rnder? Obviously that would be more valuable.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

Of course they do. NHL-readiness has nothing to do with skill, which is probably the biggest misconception on HFBoards.

Remember when we waived Jay Leach and Montreal claimed him? Does that mean Jay Leach isn't a dime-a-dozen player as well?

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Zajacs Bowl Cut;71935049[B said:
]I have said that I have been wrong plenty of times on here. Even today, I said I was wrong thinking Urbom wouldn't get claimed.[/B] But him getting claimed does not change the fact that he is likely never going to amount to anything in the NHL.

I also have bets with people on this board to help out with accountability because I totally agree, people here try to say ridiculous things sometimes with nothing to back it up.

Before: Urbom won't get claimed because he's nothing special.
After: Well I was wrong he wouldn't get claimed. So what! It doesn't mean he's going to be any good!

"Accountability."

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Well what if all we could have gotten for Urbom right now is a 5th rnd pick. I'd say that that is not very valuable.

Could Lou have gotten more in return? Say a 4th or 3rd rnder? Obviously that would be more valuable.

If Urbom were to enter the draft this coming year I believe he'd be far more than a 5th round selection. Probably top 3 rounds.

We're talking about a 22 year old, 6'5 kid ready to play in your third pairing now.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Before: Urbom won't get claimed because he's nothing special.
After: Well I was wrong he wouldn't get claimed. So what! It doesn't mean he's going to be any good!

"Accountability."

as you like to say, the 2 are not related.

the fact that he DID get claimed does NOT make him a good player.

again, can't wait for April 13th.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
WHY WHY WHYYYY are you talking about Urbom entering the draft next year? what in GODS CREATION does that have to do with anything?

so you're saying that a 23 year old would be more highly regarded than kids in high school? YOU DON'T SAY?!?!

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't understand this false narrative that getting claimed off waivers makes you a good player.

Is Sheldon Brookbank also a good player? Jay Leach? Tom Kostopoulos?

The only positive waiver wire pickup I can remember for us has been Ryan Carter.

Let's not forget 19 teams passed on Urbom before Washington put in a claim at 20th.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
it's all about how you type your opinions out.

it's okay if you think a player won't amount to anything, especially if you back-up your reasoning, but saying very definitive statements about a player, like "they'll definitely succeed" or "it doesn't change the fact that he is likely never going to amount to anything in the nhl" might rub people the wrong way, even if you are blatantly saying that you're stating your opinion. the fact of the matter is, no one knows what's going to happen with a player in terms of skill. a promising prospect could totally suck after 2 amazing seasons (fingers crossed that isn't our favorite #14), or a total scrub from the AHL could blow up in his first season in the big leagues

you never know

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
as you like to say, the 2 are not related.

the fact that he DID get claimed does NOT make him a good player.

I guess I'm the only one who sees how you saying "I'm wrong but I'm not wrong" isn't admitting you're wrong about anything.

You said that he would clear waivers because he's nothing special. Now all of a sudden you're saying, while he got claimed, it doesn't mean he's nothing special!

I do agree with your ultimate conclusion (just because someone gets claimed doesn't mean they're special). However I can totally see down the line if he has a good year you saying "Just because he had one good year doesn't mean he's going to be anything special" in April.

again, can't wait for April 13th.

"I can't wait until i win this bet so I don't have to here your ridiculous opinions because mine are the only ones worth discussing."

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If Urbom were to enter the draft this coming year I believe he'd be far more than a 5th round selection. Probably top 3 rounds.

We're talking about a 22 year old, 6'5 kid ready to play in your third pairing now.

I sure hope Lou threw the line in the water to see what teams were willing to offer for Urbom. And if a 3rd rnder was on the table, then Lou made a significant mistake in not making that deal.

I think the mistake would have been clear enough, that I don't think the scenario played out like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad