General COVID-19 Talk #2, NHL Phase 2 begins early June Mod Warning post 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Last thread reached 40 pages and it looked like it was it was getting out of hand. A reminder for the rules of the thread and general Covid-19 talk

This forum is not limited to hockey-related talk.

You may critique the response of government but don't make it political.
Posts attributing motives because it involves this or that political party/politician/ideology will not be tolerated.

Examples:
Allowed: "Trump doesn't know what he's doing, the response was too little too late"
Not Allowed: "The only reason the response was so slow was to keep the stock prices high so he can get reelected"

Allowed: "The media is over-reporting this and it's going to make things worse"
Not Allowed: "The liberal media is over-reporting this because they're trying to bring down Trump"

Miracle cures, home remedies, and medical advice should not be posted.

Be careful what you link to, treat it like the trade forum we don't want to spread bad information.

How you're preparing, how this is affecting your community, news and information are the types of discussion this forum is for.

If you want to talk about the protests in regards to Covid-19, be my guest. Please try not to diverge the thread into politics.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
@LT Dan Re: your previous comments, I agree with you 100% that the US military would have the power to crush any uprising, particularly if it was mostly unarmed students like at Tiananmen Square, but do you think realistically the US could ever go there? It feels like were that to happen here, it would be the death of Democracy in this country. It also assumes that every member of the military would have no trouble firing on American citizens (or the vast majority at least), and I just don't think that's the case. A lot of consciences would get in the way, chain of command problems, etc.

If this is deemed not appropriate for this thread we can take it to PM.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
@LT Dan Re: your previous comments, I agree with you 100% that the US military would have the power to crush any uprising, particularly if it was mostly unarmed students like at Tiananmen Square, but do you think realistically the US could ever go there? It feels like were that to happen here, it would be the death of Democracy in this country. It also assumes that every member of the military would have no trouble firing on American citizens (or the vast majority at least), and I just don't think that's the case. A lot of consciences would get in the way, chain of command problems, etc.

Context
That whole reply was based on La Kings Cup champs' weird obsession that we are in a civil war
No, I dont think it would ever come to that

A small very loud portion of the population is killing cops and rioting and there isn't enough popular support for a civil war anyway.

I am not a fan of the left or the right, but both sides think they have way more support than they really do. The average American is worried about their own life, putting food on the table, and more worried about Miller Time than the 2020 election.

These protests will very likely be over within a week. There will be broad promises made of reform, etc. but very little will actually happen
Just like 1992 and 2008. La Kings Cup Champs is still very young and is expecting grandiose change. This will be the first of him realizing that the man is in charge, he always wins , and he will give us just big enough of a carrot to keep us happy

Last edited:

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Context
That whole reply was based on La Kings Cup champs' weird obsession that we are in a civil war
No, I dont think it would ever come to that

A small very loud portion of the population is killing cops and rioting and there isn't enough popular support for a civil war anyway.

I am not a fan of the left or the right, but both sides think they have way more support than they really do. The average American is worried about their own life, putting food on the table, and more worried about Miller Time than the 2020 election.

These protests will very likely be over within a week. There will be broad promises made of reform, etc. but very little will actually happen
Just like 1992 and 2008

Agreed, but don't knock Miller Time. It is the champagne of beers after all.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Agree on the civil war part, now take it to PMs

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Deleted some more OT posts.

Racism and activism in sports is an important and contemporary topic but this isn't a catch-all sociopolitical thread and we're going to keep this one cleaner than the last one.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
f*** it. We’re doomed.

414Gox4iHsL.jpg

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
On the logarithmic scale the number of cases and deaths in the U.S. continues to be flat.

United States Coronavirus: 1,886,540 Cases and 108,258 Deaths - Worldometer

In California, Los Angeles County has far and away the most cases and deaths.

California Coronavirus: 117,962 Cases and 4,360 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer

Looking at Florida on the logarithmic scale the trend for cases and deaths still has a slightly positive slope, but is nearly flat.

Florida Coronavirus: 58,764 Cases and 2,567 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I am expecting spikes in 3 days to 2 weeks. Especially in NYC, Minny, and LA
Atlanta is also probable
I would have expected to see a spike in Florida by now, but on the logarithmic scale they appear to be unchanged. DeSantis' approach with nursing homes in Florida appears to be effective.

Mayor Carlos A. Giménez of Miami, FL has also done a good job of keeping the peace there.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I would have expected to see a spike in Florida by now, but on the logarithmic scale they appear to be unchanged. DeSantis' approach with nursing homes in Florida appears to be effective.
I expect this spike to be much bigger than what (lets say the average person) was expecting from Florida.

I think that the beach was one of the lowest possible transmission points but most people were still also showing high levels of caution, which largely weren't being shown in the protest and riot hot spots.

I just hope that we aren't moved back a phase because of all of this

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I expect this spike to be much bigger than what (lets say the average person) was expecting from Florida.

I think that the beach was one of the lowest possible transmission points but most people were still also showing high levels of caution, which largely weren't being shown in the protest and riot hot spots.

I just hope that we aren't moved back a phase because of all of this
I don't think Newsom has the stones to move things back a phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad