OT: General College Hockey Talk

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I, for one, do not share any of your disappointment in the result of that game!!

Feels like the team got better as the game went on, but woof, if we don't get better PK'ing and stop giving up all those breakaways, that performance isn't going to cut it against Omaha or Minnesota. Giving up 5 straight goals on the kill going back to the BC game is ridiculous.
Getting out of the 1st up was huge for you guys. Never really felt like we had a realistic chance after that point. Funny that each period ended up 2-1 but felt very different in terms of who was carrying play - I liked our 3rd period but then you guys didn't really have to push once the 5th went in.

EDIT: Apparently the guy doing play by play on ESPNU was a first timer - having done football and basketball in the past for ESPN. If that's the case he was superlative calling the game. I thought he was very balanced and understood the ebbs and flows of a hockey game quite well.

EDIT2: Did his homework too, for example knowing that AIC scored first against us in the AHA championship game.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Saturday's games are set:

Springfield: (3) Denver vs (12) Cornell 4PM
Sioux Falls: (2) BU vs (7) Minnesota 6:30 PM

Time for revenge from last years Frozen Four.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Respectable game for RIT against one of the best. Let them cycle in some more scholarship players over the next few years and stop being at such a competitive disadvantage and who knows, they might really become a great program. Would be amazing to see, as going to their DIII games throughout the 90s was as instrumental as anything was in developing my love for hockey.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Respectable game for RIT against one of the best. Let them cycle in some more scholarship players over the next few years and stop being at such a competitive disadvantage and who knows, they might really become a great program. Would be amazing to see, as going to their DIII games throughout the 90s was as instrumental as anything was in developing my love for hockey.

Wait until the NCAA is forced to restructure who is and who isn’t eligible to play hockey and some of the lesser conferences could be able to recruit graduating CHLers.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Wait until the NCAA is forced to restructure who is and who isn’t eligible to play hockey and some of the lesser conferences could be able to recruit graduating CHLers.
I think the really interesting effect will be the kids that go early to the CHL and would rather go the NCAA route before their CHL eligibility is exhausted.

Plus, with NIL in place, the NCAA route could become even more lucrative than the CHL route as players can get NIL deals with the Bauers and CCMs of the world while playing in college. That is already happening in college lacrosse with Joey Spallina at Syracuse having a deal with Gait Lacrosse and Warrior having deals with both a #1 recruit (McCabe Millon at Virginia) and a social media superstar (Caleb Hammett aka The Drip King at UMass-Amherst).

It will help the bigger, Power 5 schools that have robust NIL collectives in place, as much, and perhaps even more, than the lower level D1 programs that do not have the NIL collectives that the larger schools have.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think the really interesting effect will be the kids that go early to the CHL and would rather go the NCAA route before their CHL eligibility is exhausted.

Plus, with NIL in place, the NCAA route could become even more lucrative than the CHL route as players can get NIL deals with the Bauers and CCMs of the world while playing in college. That is already happening in college lacrosse with Joey Spallina at Syracuse having a deal with Gait Lacrosse and Warrior having deals with both a #1 recruit (McCabe Millon at Virginia) and a social media superstar (Caleb Hammett aka The Drip King at UMass-Amherst).

It will help the bigger, Power 5 schools that have robust NIL collectives in place, as much, and perhaps even more, than the lower level D1 programs that do not have the NIL collectives that the larger schools have.

But the shear volume of players who could go into NCAA programs is going to boost places that traditionally recruit and skew older. We will have to see but it seems like the bigger programs will have way more competition.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
But the shear volume of players who could go into NCAA programs is going to boost places that traditionally recruit and skew older. We will have to see but it seems like the bigger programs will have way more competition.
A lot of people saw the introduction of the transfer portal as a way for talent to be more evenly distributed. But, it has not had that big of an effect in balancing things out. And you see plenty of lower end schools losing players that are under-recruited to bigger schools when they pop.

So, while I would hope it would help lift the lower levels of D1 hockey. My guess is that it really would just be a rising tide that lifts all boats, at best. And something that gives the bigger schools another advantage, at worst.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
BC scores 36 seconds into the game. Man I'm glad we didn't have to play them :laugh:

Nice bounce back by Michigan Tech - shorty about 12 minutes in and have really stabilized their game. 1-1 late first.

Last edited:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Oof yeah that's a pretty clear cut 5 and game.

The AHA director of officials has been very angry with his group for exactly what happened there - calling it two on the ice and forcing the opposing coach to use his challenge to get it to the correct call. Seems like that's a problem in more conferences than just ours.

Unless they looked at it on their own without forcing MTU to challenge? That would be nice.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
NoDak were something like 20-0-0 when leading after 2. Michigan has scored three to take a 4-2 lead with three third period goals.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Rough opening round for 3rd periods for the NCHC. Omaha, North Dakota, and Western Michigan all led at some point in the 3rd period and couldn't finish the deal. Denver the only NCHC team left, while the recently maligned ECAC still has two despite needing someone other than Quinnipiac to win in Lake Placid to even get that 2nd team in.

Reactions: Chainshot

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Denver has to be happy for the long break before the FF after playing that marathon game against UMass then being pummeled relentlessly by Cornell.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The difference in the BU-Minnesota game is Close, the Gopher starter. He's let in a couple of porous ones.
Looks like he couldn’t keep it

giphy.gif

Close enough

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Very happy with BU's performance. Should be a great semi against Denver. Here's hoping for QU tomorrow!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad