General coaching talk thread

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The thing that struck me watching the game last night is that this team is the worst underachiever in the entire league this season. The Devils got sunk by sub-AHL level goaltending (which is death for any team) whereas we don't have that excuse. It's beyond disgraceful with this roster that this team isn't either in a wild card slot or just a point out. A real organization would fire the entire coaching staff the minute the season ended because this season was as catastrophic a failure as there has ever been but this organization has no standards.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The thing that struck me watching the game last night is that this team is the worst underachiever in the entire league this season. The Devils got sunk by sub-AHL level goaltending (which is death for any team) whereas we don't have that excuse. It's beyond disgraceful with this roster that this team isn't either in a wild card slot or just a point out. A real organization would fire the entire coaching staff the minute the season ended because this season was as catastrophic a failure as there has ever been but this organization has no standards.

Eh, it looked like the Caps just played poorly and Buffalo was able to capitalize. The Caps seemed more like the lottery team they thought they would be rather than a possible WC team.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Eh, I think it's more like we over achieved last year. This is a .500 roster. We have talent, yes, but it's poorly constructed. 3 lines that don't know how to play in their own zone, lack of any real physical prowess, too many kids in key positions for them to be reliable producers night to night. The only reason we aren't a bottom 5 team is because UPL played out of his mind for 3 months.

As far as coaching goes:

I mean...doesn't this sound like a junior coach? "Lets make sure we all have fun"

These are adults being paid to play at the highest level. The fun is winning and cashing a massive paycheck.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Nothing is more fun than the off-season! And Donnie gets them the longest ones possible every year.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

It is impossible to look at a team with less talent being closer to where you tried to be and not see a giant difference is right here in this statement.

Its interest how he says, "they're young they are not suppose to be here. Bullshit. we are here"

its all I heard last year about how the sabres werent suppose to make the playoffs so its ok and people, management and coaches got a free pass.

Torts mentality is completely different and is refreshing that he doesn't sound like the sabres where its just hey lets enjoy the ride while we can attitude.

Adams - Well we weren't suppose to win anyways so we were lucky to be in it.

The two different attitudes

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

After Monday's loss to the Islanders, Philadelphia is 36-29-11 and sits third in the Metropolitan Division, just one point ahead of the fourth-place Washington Capitals.

The Flyers are in danger of falling out of a playoff spot as the Capitals cling to the final wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference, with the Detroit Red Wings and Islanders right on the heels. All three teams also have a games-remaining advantage on the Flyers.

With the Flyers on a five-game losing streak and his public criticism of the team, speculation of Tortorella losing the locker room has once again reared its head.

Torts might be available this summer with his team falling apart down the stretch.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Fire Granato regardless of how this season ends, and hire NHL experience. Lindy's interesting to me, so is Bruce Boudreau.

People hate retreads, but we've skipped that part since the fraud Bylsma, who never got another head coaching NHL job.

Reactions: sabremike

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Fire Granato regardless of how this season ends, and hire NHL experience. Lindy's interesting to me, so is Bruce Boudreau.

People hate retreads, but we've skipped that part since the fraud Bylsma, who never got another head coaching NHL job.
Bylsma and Ralph were retread hires. Bylsma wasn't great and Ralph was horrible.

The key for me is hiring a guy that is the right fit for what this team needs at this point in their build. I think they need less of a development coach and more of a structure and professionalism type coach that is a bit more of a demanding coach than they have had under Granato.

That could be a retread. Or, that could be another rookie coach as long as they support him with at least one assistant who has NHL head coaching experience.

Peca or McKee as the head coach with Lindy as an assistant for a year or two would make sense to me if they can't get a solid experienced guy to come here.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Watched the Leafs vs Lightning game last night and the amount of pic plays and interference the Leafs do is astonishing. Subtle grabs and hooks too,,, Sabres just skate up and down the ice. Also, both teams enter the zone on the PP so easily. We was the first half of them just trying to get in the zone.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

It is interesting to see what names get thrown around when other teams might be making a change at head coach.
I think Berube will definitely be a coach somewhere next year.

I find it interesting seeing Larionov and Fedorov mentioned. Would be cool to see Larionov as a coach in the NHL to see a Russian coach compete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad