General coaching talk thread

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The Habs hiring Nicholas is not a good thing as a Sabres fan. It is a good thing as a hockey fan who really likes the way the game is going with more coaching focus on skills development and the offensive game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is that the article where Kidney talks about Nicholas' helping him get inside more? Not in a spot I can view it, but I know there is one I read about the Hab dev coaches.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Is that the article where Kidney talks about Nicholas' helping him get inside more? Not in a spot I can view it, but I know there is one I read about the Hab dev coaches.
Not that I saw scanning through it looking for that reference.

They definitely seemed to be old school (aka cheap) when it came to a lot of stuff and Gorton has really modernized things including nutrition and adding a mental skills coach on top of hiring Nicholas as a skills/development coach. They also have been late to the analytics game, it would appear.

It is crazy to me that a team like Montreal hasn't been pouring resources into all the various non-capped things that can give your team an advantage given that they are a big revenue team.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not that I saw scanning through it looking for that reference.

They definitely seemed to be old school (aka cheap) when it came to a lot of stuff and Gorton has really modernized things including nutrition and adding a mental skills coach on top of hiring Nicholas as a skills/development coach. They also have been late to the analytics game, it would appear.

It is crazy to me that a team like Montreal hasn't been pouring resources into all the various non-capped things that can give your team an advantage given that they are a big revenue team.

I've heard that the Rangers are also not on top of the analytics side of things either through some hints on different podcasts too.

Thanks for looking. I will have to give this one a gander in a bit. Someone had posted the Kidney one on the Prospects Board - he's centering Nadeau and part of why Gatineau is pushing up toward Quebec in the Q.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Specific to the Sabres, this was encouraging:

“We’ve had four first-rounders here and we’ve had players traded here who were drafted, but no team has spent anywhere close to the amount of time that Buffalo has here,” Patrick said.

He added that while other teams are making a commitment to drafting and developing, it’s “not as much as I see with the Sabres …"

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Reactions: Jeremy2020

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

It will be interesting to see if this becomes a trend or not.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

It will be interesting to see if this becomes a trend or not.
Old school thinking. Young players process information differently and are WAY more visual. Used correctly and in the hands of a video coach, having this available instantly helps. I see Cozens do it all the time with his line mates. If they spend more than 10-15 seconds reviewing it, I would be shocked.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Old school thinking. Young players process information differently and are WAY more visual. Used correctly and in the hands of a video coach, having this available instantly helps. I see Cozens do it all the time with his line mates. If they spend more than 10-15 seconds reviewing it, I would be shocked.
I forget if it was ATW or a different conversation, but they talked about using the iPads too much and if it was a thing.

I do think there is a balance there and going right to the iPad can have benefits in some situations and not so much in others. The iPad doesn't show what each linemate saw from their place on the ice. And that can be more important sometimes than what the high angle shows.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I forget if it was ATW or a different conversation, but they talked about using the iPads too much and if it was a thing.

I do think there is a balance there and going right to the iPad can have benefits in some situations and not so much in others. The iPad doesn't show what each linemate saw from their place on the ice. And that can be more important sometimes than what the high angle shows.
It was Rivet. And one of the many things where there is a generational gap between how players were put together when he played and now. He really does not understand gen z at all and it pops up in all kinds of places.

Reactions: joshjull

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

On offense, Buffalo has top scoring centers such as Tage Thompson, one of the NHL’s best forwards this season. Han said the Sabres still need to improve in net, but overall, the team is headed in the right direction. One of the biggest problems he sees is patience. Buffalo is on the rise, but it’s hard to tell fans that have suffered through a 12-year long playoff drought to be patient if the Blue and Gold miss the postseason this spring.

If they’re patient and they build on their style of play and stay the course and maybe find some ways to add some better players, as soon as the Bruins, the Leafs and the Lightning kind of fall off and their stars get older, I think Buffalo can be right there. The big challenge in this market is obviously we’ve been patient for a long time now waiting for a playoff team. But can we not freak out if the next step doesn’t happen right away?”

Han feels the Sabres will make the playoffs next season, even if they’re eliminated this year. Buffalo’s coaches and staff are very oriented toward player development and compared to past seasons, the Sabres are far better five-on-five.

One missing ingredient among fans and players is optimism. It’s difficult for a team and fanbase that never won a Stanley Cup or even made the postseason since 2011 to adopt a hopeful attitude, but Han thinks it’s crucial.

Buffalo is going to be a playoff team as soon as next season. But for them to really go deep and…really do things that have never been done in the city, they’ve got to have this mindset of ‘why not us or why can’t we get lucky?’ They’ve got to be optimistic even when things don’t go well. Because honestly, that’s the only thing that I think could be missing from this group.”

I am guessing that Han is hoping this drives sales of his hockey tactics ebook.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX

If you have guys all independently looking at their own ipads and not communicating with each other than yea, that would be a problem, but it's not a problem with having the ipads. That's a team/communication issue and blaming the tool is silly.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If you have guys all independently looking at their own ipads and not communicating with each other than yea, that would be a problem, but it's not a problem with having the ipads. That's a team/communication issue and blaming the tool is silly.
This topic came up in The Science of Hockey: The Math, Technology, and Data Behind the Sport by Kevin Snow. One of the complaints that coaches had were that players were looking at the iPads so much that they were not paying attention to what was happening on the ice and there were some concerns about that and how it might just be better to use video between periods.

:dunno:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This topic came up in The Science of Hockey: The Math, Technology, and Data Behind the Sport by Kevin Snow. One of the complaints that coaches had were that players were looking at the iPads so much that they were not paying attention to what was happening on the ice and there were some concerns about that and how it might just be better to use video between periods.

:dunno:
I get that. But it seems like establishing rules/procedures for their use would address that. As @Jeremy2020 said, it seems silly to blame the tool.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad