TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I searched HFBoards for "Scavengers Reign" and this is the only post.

This series drew me in because I love sci-fi and the animation style really intrigued me. I then watched the short that this series was based on.

Basically, the series is just going from Point A to Point B on an alien planet. But I very much enjoyed it.

If they ever release an "Art Of" book I'll be buying it.

Any word as to if they're making a second season?

Watched the first episode and I definitely need to watch more. It should have its own thread though as it f***ing deserves it. The amount of creativity and the fluid style of animation is amazing.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
So I decided to pick up JJK again, since season 2 seems to be getting a lot of hype.

I had previously dropped the show after like 13-14 episodes as I did not find it very interesting and hard to follow. Now I have a lot of time on my hands so I started watching from 12th episode and now I have finished the first season. Maybe the latter half of the season is just easier to watch or maybe I had more focus this time because there's not much else going on that I watch. But I did get through the season in just few days. I still don't have any idea what's going on with the cursed energy / power system of the show nor do I understand the domain expansion at all, but I just roll with it. The fights are still pretty good and enjoyable. I also have started to like a lot of the characters which I don't remember being the case first time around. I'm gonna rate the first season 7,5/10 and it could be as high as 8,5 if it wasn't as confusing to me and I wouldn't have dropped the show earlier. I still think comparable shows like Chainsaw Man, Hell's Paradise are far better. Excited to start season 2 though.

Maybe I'll give Vinland Saga season 2 another try as well, though it has a massive hill to climb to make me care even a little bit.

Reactions: PALE PWNR

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
So I decided to pick up JJK again, since season 2 seems to be getting a lot of hype.

I had previously dropped the show after like 13-14 episodes as I did not find it very interesting and hard to follow. Now I have a lot of time on my hands so I started watching from 12th episode and now I have finished the first season. Maybe the latter half of the season is just easier to watch or maybe I had more focus this time because there's not much else going on that I watch. But I did get through the season in just few days. I still don't have any idea what's going on with the cursed energy / power system of the show nor do I understand the domain expansion at all, but I just roll with it. The fights are still pretty good and enjoyable. I also have started to like a lot of the characters which I don't remember being the case first time around. I'm gonna rate the first season 7,5/10 and it could be as high as 8,5 if it wasn't as confusing to me and I wouldn't have dropped the show earlier. I still think comparable shows like Chainsaw Man, Hell's Paradise are far better. Excited to start season 2 though.

Maybe I'll give Vinland Saga season 2 another try as well, though it has a massive hill to climb to make me care even a little bit.
I feel very much the same way about jjk. I have watched it all the way through and still feel like they pull so much shit out of their asses but it's entertaining to watch. It's just so much of the story seems to revolve around the power system and cursed energy stuff but it is so hard to follow or understand it turned me off. I've still kept up with it and the last couple episodes have been fantastic to watch but I still feel very lost in that universe

Reactions: hoyster

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
I finally got around and started Apothecary Diaries and it's has been absolutely amazing so far.

I was a bit worried that the style, the story and the MC would be closer to My Happy Marriage but I'm glad this is not the case. It's actually reminding me of Frieren more and that show keeps delivering week after week. (Btw, Frieren is now #1 rated anime of all-time on MAL). Both of these shows and especially the MCs are hilarious which I wasn't expecting from either show.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Anyone else see The Boy and the Heron? I really didn't like anything about it.

Any announcement on when AoT dub will be out?

Blue Eyed Samurai is amazing. Same with Scavengers Reign. Not sure if they are really “anime”, but they are top notch TV shows.

I'm about halfway through Blue Eye Samurai, I love it, the animation is so good.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
I can't be the only one watching jujutsu kaisen and having no f***ing idea what is happening anymore
I was planning on writing something about it. The whole Shibuya Incident Arc was a hot mess of....something. I had no idea what was going on but I was just riding along. I have no idea why everyone was hyping the Thunderclap episodes so much, I thought those were the weakest episodes. I did learn to like this show a little though. The clear strenght of JJK are the amazing characters. I just turn my brains off with the fights and when the characters explain their new techniques that they pulled off their asses for half an episode. Right and Wrong were great episodes and I really liked the first 5 flashback episodes. I think I would be a lot more invested in this show if they had showed these episodes in chronological order. First season would be Hidden Inventory + JJK 0 movie, second season would be the current first season and then third season would be the Shibuya Arc. Maybe that's just me, cause most people seem to love this show as is.

Also I have no idea why people hype Mappa so much. The animation felt really off and even lazy so many times and the fight animations had a lot of weird choices. I was also not impressed with Vinland Saga S2 animation, Chainsaw Man was amazing though.

I rated the first season 7,5/10 and I'm gonna give the second season the same rating. Would be a lot better if it wasn't so confusing. Also I have no idea what happened at the final episode, it just ended?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I was planning on writing something about it. The whole Shibuya Incident Arc was a hot mess of....something. I had no idea what was going on but I was just riding along. I have no idea why everyone was hyping the Thunderclap episodes so much, I thought those were the weakest episodes. I did learn to like this show a little though. The clear strenght of JJK are the amazing characters. I just turn my brains off with the fights and when the characters explain their new techniques that they pulled off their asses for half an episode. Right and Wrong were great episodes and I really liked the first 5 flashback episodes. I think I would be a lot more invested in this show if they had showed these episodes in chronological order. First season would be Hidden Inventory + JJK 0 movie, second season would be the current first season and then third season would be the Shibuya Arc. Maybe that's just me, cause most people seem to love this show as is.

Also I have no idea why people hype Mappa so much. The animation felt really off and even lazy so many times and the fight animations had a lot of weird choices. I was also not impressed with Vinland Saga S2 animation, Chainsaw Man was amazing though.

I rated the first season 7,5/10 and I'm gonna give the second season the same rating. Would be a lot better if it wasn't so confusing. Also I have no idea what happened at the final episode, it just ended?
The animation did fall off quite a bit in a number of episodes, but I also saw that there were quite a lot of issues in MAPPA's studio during the production. Artists were forced to sign an NDA so that they couldn't talk about it, but were being overworked to extremes and being paid very little, and then had animators quit mid-production but refused to delay the schedule releases so the ones left were overworked even further and were not satisfied with the art they were putting out and even saying some of it wasn't even finished when it was released. Here's a screenshot of one of the artists talking about the abuse he has received on twitter about it.

1704078617927.png

Aside from the animation being released unfinished in parts that are clearly visible and the untenable working conditions the artists are put through, the story just does not make sense. And I see people on reddit talking about "well it's pretty straight forward in the anime, Good guys want to get rid of curses, bad guys want more curses" there is way more to the plot than that, clearly with Geto or whoever he's supposed to be now, and the power structure and domain expansions (Which I still have no clue what it is nor how its created, or what it does, or how difficult its supposed to be to do, etc.) just further complicates an already complicated plot told in a non-chronological way. It's one thing to have a Tarantino-esque plot when the world is known and things happen in an order and way that a person can relate to, it's entirely another when the world and its rules are foreign and explanations are few and far between.

Like you, I gave up trying to understand somewhere along the way with this past season and just started to watch because it was hype and some of the art is absolutely fantastic, but I doubt I will be sticking with it for future seasons, as my exploration in understanding it has led me to find comments like "well if you don't understand what's going on now, just WAIT until next season when it gets even more convoluted".

Reactions: hoyster

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Madhouse and Studio Bones are still by far my favourites, I find that whenever I really like an anime, it was made by one of these lot.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I sometimes watch Ufotable productions in the background just because it’s nice to look at
I think they cheat because they use a lot of computer technology nowadays (which everyone does to be fair), but Unlimited Blade Works when it was released was clearly ahead of its time. The amount of effort they put into the background during battles was insane. I need to rewatch that series because I am still super impressed by it. I do wish they were able to grab some of the more hyped-up manga that turn into anime because they do a great job, but I guess they're happy with Demon Slayer and Fate series as those are easy cash cows.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think they cheat because they use a lot of computer technology nowadays (which everyone does to be fair), but Unlimited Blade Works when it was released was clearly ahead of its time. The amount of effort they put into the background during battles was insane. I need to rewatch that series because I am still super impressed by it. I do wish they were able to grab some of the more hyped-up manga that turn into anime because they do a great job, but I guess they're happy with Demon Slayer and Fate series as those are easy cash cows.
Did you ever watch the Fate Heaven's Feel movies? Those were incredibly well animated.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Did you ever watch the Fate Heaven's Feel movies? Those were incredibly well animated.
I have not, I am completely lost with the Fate series, to be honest, and I am waiting for the UBW sequel, but I am not sure if that ever came out or will ever come out. I watched a bit of the other Fate series in the past and they were misses for me (ones that did not include King Arthur). I haven't chequed in a long time because I am quite behind in my must-watch shows and I decided to start a Bleach run from the very beginning with fillers since TYW just was released.

If you recommend it, I will totally watch it in the near future though.

Reactions: PALE PWNR

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
I have not, I am completely lost with the Fate series, to be honest, and I am waiting for the UBW sequel, but I am not sure if that ever came out or will ever come out. I watched a bit of the other Fate series in the past and they were misses for me (ones that did not include King Arthur). I haven't chequed in a long time because I am quite behind in my must-watch shows and I decided to start a Bleach run from the very beginning with fillers since TYW just was released.

Fate Heaven's Feel is connected to UBW.

Imho, the fate series peaked at Fate/Zero

Reactions: S E P H

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
UBW and Heaven's Feel are alternate routes of the original game. The "canon" route was the original anime in 2006 that I'm sure will get remade by Ufotable at some point. Zero was an after-the-fact prequel.

The trailer I linked above is also in the same universe, as are Kara no Kyoukai and Tsukihime.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

Bleach is and always has been incredible

Reactions: S E P H

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
I watched the first episode of Blue Eye Samurai last night and I definitely plan on watching the whole thing.
I just finished the first episode and it was the best pilot episode since Oshi No Ko. Might be even better because ONK relied on the shock factor and the twist. I absolutely love Samurai culture so this will be an awesome ride!

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad