GBU Gee, Bee, Whew. Sabres 5 - Devils 4

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
My prediction: Comrie throws a huge "NEENER NEENER" to HF boards tomorrow by pulling out a 42-save shutout on the Island.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Devils fan here, really impressed by you guys tonight. You guys remind me of us last year in the sense of a high flying offense + ok defense + goaltending that can completely cave you guys. Hope you guys can make another run here late and especially beat the Isles tomorrow but I hope for your guys's sake that Adams doesn't sit on his hands like he did at the deadline for a small add and have a 2022 NJD offseason to bring you guys into the top 3-4 in the Atlantic next year.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Throughout all the hardships and foul mouthed rants of the season, I will always take solace in the fact that we have Quinn and Cozens on our team. I'd bet big money on both of them becoming franchise guys. I like Peterka, too, but Quinn and Cozens are a different breed.

They're only going to get better, which is an enticing thought. Their ceilings keep me hopeful as a Sabres fan.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Throughout all the hardships and foul mouthed rants of the season, I will always take solace in the fact that we have Quinn and Cozens on our team. I'd bet big money on both of them becoming franchise guys. I like Peterka, too, but Quinn and Cozens are a different breed.

They're only going to get better, which is an enticing thought. Their ceilings keep me hopeful as a Sabres fan.
I'm a firm believer that Quinn is going to explode next season. In the OHL and the AHL he took a season to adjust, even if you look at him in his pre-OHL years he kind of ramped up a bit. He's figuring out what works and what doesn't right now, next season look out the kids scoring 30.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Devils fan here, really impressed by you guys tonight. You guys remind me of us last year in the sense of a high flying offense + ok defense + goaltending that can completely cave you guys. Hope you guys can make another run here late and especially beat the Isles tomorrow but I hope for your guys's sake that Adams doesn't sit on his hands like he did at the deadline for a small add and have a 2022 NJD off-season to bring you guys into the top 3-4 in the Atlantic next year.
Devils model is a good one to follow in my opinion and you have some great prospects that you did not have to give up from Meier in the pipeline to come, this is a very good sign for you.

We are hopeful to get D Johnson from Minnesota (NCAA) when their season is over (he could also choose to go FA) but must at least add 1 if not 2 nhl caliber defensenmen and make changes to our special teams.

We also have some very good prospects in our pipeline coming in Devon Levi (debut Monday perhaps), Savoie, Kulich, etc. Missing out on top 4 D at the deadline was a disappointment for most Sabre fans (and perhaps the team).

Looks like Vanecek has really settled in nicely for you. Our goalteding has been scary bad for a few years now. Levi is a very good prospect but you do not want to put a team on the back of the kid either (like Knight or Hart) so I hope Adam's finally learns he has to get a quality keeper. Demko or Vehmelka would be a good target in a dream summer ?

Maybe you can let us have Wood or a PK guy this summer ? :laugh: Who are you hoping to match up against in the playoffs ?

Seeing Lindy doing so well is great, his goalie change nearly paid off in the end as it stopped the bleeding. I'm glad they had patience with him rather the usual NHL carousel. And as you might agree, Brunette to your staff was a great add.

Finally, got to see the Boss this week here. Thanks to NJ for the E Street Band! What a treasure.

Last edited:

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
That section behind the goal was scary! BUT, was also a great perspective to watch a game from.

Or the claustrophobia of the Upper Blues (remember the closed circuit monitors ?)
you could literally touch the inside of the roof of the Aud from the "green" seats up there. And vertigo was a real thing. But I loved that place.

You're really going to blame the goalie for allowing a goal on a deflected shot? That's 99% on Tuch lol
most of the times, no. but for Christ sake, you could park a car in the space under his pads on that one.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
you could literally touch the inside of the roof of the Aud from the "green" seats up there. And vertigo was a real thing. But I loved that place.

most of the times, no. but for Christ sake, you could park a car in the space under his pads on that one.

My first game there we sat in the second last row of the oranges and it was amazing. I always preferred sitting behind the press box so we could get a chance to talk with visiting scouts and out of town press folks.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I have never been in KBC. Last Sabres home game I saw in person was in the Aud.

Yes. I'm old. :D
The Aud used to scare me. We always got seats up top at the railing and I always felt like I was going to fall out of my chair and onto the ice. Just getting down the isle to our seats was a harrowing white knuckle afair. That said it was an awesome view of the ice. My favorite game ever was a playoff game against the Bruins with like 5-6 fights and a bench clearing brawl. God I miss that version of the NHL.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Also, finished watching the game this morning.......

UPL was terrible. He was out of position and slow to react all night. Game got saved by a couple Sabres snipes and an offsides call back.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Green jacket watch:
Olofsson with a par, but extends his lead to 3 strokes due to an inexplicable double-bogey from Bryson.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
Please fire the PK coach, whoever it is. It makes no sense and never has. I can’t wrap my head around the concept behind it
I can't say I have studied the penalty kill units of other teams, but one thing that seems odd to me is the # of forwards that we use on the PK. It is almost as though this season has been an extended try-out for positions on the PK unit. When in the line-up, Tuch, Thompson, Cozens, Quinn, Jost, Krebs, Okposo, Girgs and Greenway all get PK time. It's hard to imagine that this group of 8-9 forwards are equally skilled at this important role. Is this typical for most teams? Or do most teams just use 4-5 forwards who are their best penalty killers? It seems we might benefit at some point from identifying who are best 4-5 PK forwards are and letting them have the role.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I can't say I have studied the penalty kill units of other teams, but one thing that seems odd to me is the # of forwards that we use on the PK. It is almost as though this season has been an extended try-out for positions on the PK unit. When in the line-up, Tuch, Thompson, Cozens, Quinn, Jost, Krebs, Okposo, Girgs and Greenway all get PK time. It's hard to imagine that this group of 8-9 forwards are equally skilled at this important role. Is this typical for most teams? Or do most teams just use 4-5 forwards who are their best penalty killers? It seems we might benefit at some point from identifying who are best 4-5 PK forwards are and letting them have the role.

Boston (2nd best in the league by PK%) uses Coyle-Nosek and Bergeron-Marchand as their primary four but have a trio of regulars who also work in (7 total). Carolina (best in the league by PK%) uses Staal-Martinook and Aho-Teravainen as their primary four with three others getting over a half minute per game.

Boston leans heavily on Forbort-Carlo as their primary D pair, Carolina has more evenly dispersed PKing for their four primary defense PKers.

Some of it is that teams have their settled pair (start the PK in their zone) and the disrupting pair while Buffalo has shown an aptitude for neither role. Their settled people are slow and their stick details are shit. Their disrupting folks don't.

Their defensemen get caught puck-watching and drift out of position - Fitz was the worst at this but as the season wears on, we see almost all of them doing it - and they don't have inside stick position on potential shooters. Hell, most of the time, there is someone behind one of them at the net front AND at the back post. For a collection of people who suck at intercepting or blocking passes in part because of the giant lanes the forwards leave, that leaves a lot of tap-ins and open shots that no goalie is going to make a save on. Some of that is also how they defend at 5-on-5 which is why I come back to firing Wilford into the sun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad