GDT: World Junior Championships 2013 - Discussion III

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
I'm simply repeating what many Leafs fans already have..

A page back someone just compared him to Norris winner Erik Karlsson.[/QUOTE]

I call bull on this comment. And it is one of the reasons some people, certainly myself, do not post on here a lot. the comparison was about physical make-up, not skill as you are suggesting. comments are regularly responded to out of context and I have read enough of your posts to know you knew the original point that was being made.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
As I've said before, Canada's mistake was doing exactly what you are suggesting. Camara and Jenner were the only real "grinder" types, and they were better offensively than the non-grinder types available. Jenner was leading the OHL in goals, and Camara is still leading the OHL's 2nd best offense in goals... while having better goals per game than league-leading Seth Griffith.

As for Monahan, who is he better than offensively? While I did want him to make this this team, it was because of his ability to play that bottom-6 role.

This team's biggest flaw was not that they lacked offensive skill. The biggest flaw was they they lacked roleplayers.

I'm not sure it isn't just that the other teams were more talented.

Sweden probably would have like Zibanejad, but I'm sure he's healthy anyway.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
As I've said before, Canada's mistake was doing exactly what you are suggesting. Camara and Jenner were the only real "grinder" types, and they were better offensively than the non-grinder types available. Jenner was leading the OHL in goals, and Camara is still leading the OHL's 2nd best offense in goals... while having better goals per game than league-leading Seth Griffith.

As for Monahan, who is he better than offensively? While I did want him to make this this team, it was because of his ability to play that bottom-6 role.

This team's biggest flaw was not that they lacked offensive skill. The biggest flaw was they they lacked roleplayers.

Monahan is easily better Offensively then Camara who has the benefit of playing on a line with Mark Schiefele who dominates at the OHL level. where as Monahan plays for one of the worst OHL teams and was still top 10 in OHL scoring before his 10 game suspension.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Monahan is easily better Offensively then Camara who has the benefit of playing on a line with Mark Schiefele who dominates at the OHL level. where as Monahan plays for one of the worst OHL teams and was still top 10 in OHL scoring before his 10 game suspension.

Yeah, you're probably right that he's better offensively than Camara, but my point remains the same. Monahan would have been one of the weakest offensive players on the team, but would have been an invaluable roleplayer.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I call bull on this comment. And it is one of the reasons some people, certainly myself, do not post on here a lot. the comparison was about physical make-up, not skill as you are suggesting. comments are regularly responded to out of context and I have read enough of your posts to know you knew the original point that was being made.

The point being made was that Rielly does not have the physical attributes or defensive ability to hold down an NHL job right now.

Comparing his pro development to a Norris award winning defenceman's doesn't really fly in my opinion.

Non-starter to begin with.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The point being made was that Rielly does not have the physical attributes or defensive ability to hold down an NHL job right now.

Comparing his pro development to a Norris award winning defenceman's doesn't really fly in my opinion.

Non-starter to begin with.

You could make the same generalization about RHN being unfit to play in the NHL due to his lukewarm leadership and clutch play, which makes all of his comparisons to Wayne Gretzky a "non starter."

Also, a guy who plays Rielly's brand of hockey successfully at the NHL level does not require any threshold of "physical attributes" that you speak of. He's already bigger than a J-M Liles, and I don't remember Ian White as a rookie being very big, for example, so this physical requirement is a total fallacy. Morgan Rielly's perceived failure at this tournament stems a lack of confidence from playing limited minutes, showing timidness by making occasional mental lapses with deliberation, which resulted in disappointment because he didn't emerge as one of the key players on this team.

Rielly's NHL fitness this season will ultimately depend on his training camp performance and how the pro staff uses and protects him.

Last edited:

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Aside from the powerplay points he managed to get, I wasn't impressed.

Certainly not a typical Bobby Orr / Brian Leetch performance.

Just wondering, was the fact that Rielly only play 18 games last season lost on you. He did come off of a season ending injury last year and usually its around this time in January when the fatigue of a season starts to set in. I know Brian Leetch and Bobby Orr type performances should be a regular occurence, but aren't you being pretty harsh for an 18 year old returning from an injury and playing hockey in an foreign land?

Last edited:

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
You guys need to lay off on Rielly, my god. He wasnt nearly as bad as you guys are making him out to be.

He got screwed over by Spott, cuz they were pairing him with offensive guys where he needed to hang back ala Harrington and cover their *****. Case in point, he played a good chunk of at least the final 2 games, maybe more, paired with Murphy, whose probably more familiar with Ufa, Russia than he is with his defensive zone.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
You guys need to lay off on Rielly, my god. He wasnt nearly as bad as you guys are making him out to be.
He got screwed over by Spott, cuz they were pairing him with offensive guys where he needed to hang back ala Harrington and cover their *****. Case in point, he played a good chunk of at least the final 2 games, maybe more, paired with Murphy, whose probably more familiar with Ufa, Russia than he is with his defensive zone.

I agree, he had an extra gear when Canada was making a push to tie the game. Even when the game was tied he did some great plays, one was a greed feed that could resulted in a better save. The other was setting up a shot that went off the post...

Rielly wasn't used to his strength this tournament IMHO. He's better than Murphy as a offensive defencemen but had to sit back and watch him mess up...over and over

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

+1 to this .. I think Rielly was incorrectly used by Spott, and Spott's overall terrible coaching of the entire team made the good players look bad

People are so quick to jump to conclusions and either love him or hate him .. Personally I think Rielly was fine throughout the tournament, he wasn't perfect but it's not like he was consistently making bad decisions and he hardly cost Team Canada any goals against.

In fact I think it was the inverse, I think for the most part he made good decisions, smart plays, and was even creative in making scoring opportunities .. Definitely one of Canada's best, if not the best, defenseman in the tourney

If I were to grade him, it'd be a B+ ... Nothing outstanding, but all around solid

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
In the third period and OT last night, Rielly showed why he's so hyped. He can create offense out of nothing.

Also, notice, that when Rielly was put on the PK, the puck was kept out of Canada's zone.

I don't think he had a great tournament by any means, but I'm not even slightly worried about him.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
+1 to this .. I think Rielly was incorrectly used by Spott, and Spott's overall terrible coaching of the entire team made the good players look bad

People are so quick to jump to conclusions and either love him or hate him .. Personally I think Rielly was fine throughout the tournament, he wasn't perfect but it's not like he was consistently making bad decisions and he hardly cost Team Canada any goals against.

In fact I think it was the inverse, I think for the most part he made good decisions, smart plays, and was even creative in making scoring opportunities .. Definitely one of Canada's best, if not the best, defenseman in the tourney

All the talent in the world on that team, not connecting the dots. This all leads back to terrible coaching and lack of situational coaching by Spott and his crew. People are also hopping on the 'Murphy sucks' train and albeit he didn't have a good tournament, Spott misused him heavily and put far too much trust in him in situations that he wasn't going to succeed in .

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
My dad watched the replay and the first thing he said that Canada wasn't "tough" enough or have any "heart". This is back to back years Russia scored 6 goals on us. Time to re-evaluate. It's embarrassing.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Much of the Canadian team was hyped up for how skilled they were.
I guess most of them arn't making the NHL since most fell short of expectations?

Rielly will be fine and he's not immature physically, let him develop a bit before saying he won't make the NHL.

The Canadians should have taken at least a medal in this tournament with the way this year was shaping up. Like someone else said Canada didn't pick the best team, they picked just the most skilled players with not enough role players. I think USA showed how important that is, and how important solid goaltending is.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
^^ Gibby was the star of this tournament, not Jones, No Wackupov, nor RNH... JOHN GIBSON.

Btw, Looks like Danault may be suspended. Russia are classless in victory. Just get ya medal and shut up.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
The problem with team canada just like every team canada is that every player is a star, monahan woulda been nice, tom wilson woulda been nice but your 3rd and 4th line guys are scorers. Mcneil actually looked very good too. When you have all scoring lines you usually don't have a winning team like we saw in this tourny. Aswell as people have said spott picked favourties and played favourites.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
1)I have never been a fan of the "shutdown pair" and I hope they scrap it for next year. Because of their shutdown pair, they were left with a defensively crap pair in Rielly and Murphy. Why couldnt you have just paired Rielly with Ouellet and Murphy with Wotherspoon? In key moments, you could put out hamilton and harrington.
2)Too many individual efforts, too many "Im going to take on the entire team!!!" plays. When Canada makes camp they should stress a passing game. We know that individually we have the best group of players, but that does not equal the best team. A team plays together. Some lines did this, others didnt.
3)Too much pressure. Canadians should always come into every tournament expecting nothing. They need to win because they want to, not because they are worried of losing and being publically shamed. Worrying makes you self conscious--> if you're self conscious, you react slower-->if you react slower, you increase your chances to lose

The team could have also been picked differently, but regardless this team was the best individually. Personally, I didnt have lipon, camara or murphy making the team but whatever. It was still good enough to win.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Just saw the highlights. OT goal was nice, but terrible defensive play.

Very classy by some Russian players after the goal, taunting the Canadian bench :shakehead

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Just saw the highlights. OT goal was nice, but terrible defensive play.

Very classy by some Russian players after the goal, taunting the Canadian bench :shakehead

i dont like that attitude. we'd be taunting the russians as well, and thats great. its awesome when you can taunt your rivals and get them and their fans fired up, dont lose next time and you wont have to worry about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad