GDT: World Junior Championships 2013 - Discussion III

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
I just watched the Sweden vs. Russia game from yesterday, thought Forsberg was an absolute beast out there and the most dangerous player on the ice but pretty cool seeing Nilsson get player of the game. Nilsson and #9 (Wickstrom?) seemed to be leaned on a lot by the coach, especially late in the 3rd and OT. Nilsson played great, physical, smart hockey and even had a few nice moves to avoid the forecheckers then proceeded to move the puck right on the tape. He's gonna have to be a factor again if the Swedes want to beat the States. that banged up Swedish D is really gonna be tested by the Americans speed

JMcLeaf

This list is ridiculous... imagine if these kids played.

Adam Lowry
Cody Ceci
Derrick Pouliot
Matt Dumba
Hunter Shinkaruk
Seth Griffith
Sean Monahan
Tom Wilson

Wilson over Lipon, Monahan/Lowry over McNeill, and IDGAF over Murphy

I actually would have been fine if we still went with Murphy, but only if we didn't give him so many ****ing minutes! Although an offensive dman with some physicality would have been nice. Too bad Dumba is struggling this season.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Jordan Binnington gets the start against Russia. Now you play him? Spott is an idiot.

Seriously? Spott's going to Binnington now? What a complete Pejorative Slur that guy is....

First, he never should have given Subban the starting job without at least making each guy play a game to prove themselves..... then he probably could have went to Binnington after Subban struggled early..... and now, only after Subban starts to play well, he goes to Binnington, who hasn't played a game in weeks, for the Bronze medal game? Talk about getting EVERYTHING wrong....

Holy crap, what a clown....

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Said it from the beginning. Spott, and the last couple of coaches have been garbage. It's weird, having gone to a few coaching clinics hosted by HC, they talk like they're smarter than they act.

leugangen

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto
Anyone watching the U-17s? William Nylander (Michal's son) is an absolute beast. Won't be surprised to see him go top 3 in the 2014 draft.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Said it from the beginning. Spott, and the last couple of coaches have been garbage. It's weird, having gone to a few coaching clinics hosted by HC, they talk like they're smarter than they act.

Oh, I knew Spott was an idiot even before he took over the head job in Kitchener.

I'm just surprised that he can't get anything right. Even by accident, you'd think he could get something right!

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Oh, I knew Spott was an idiot even before he took over the head job in Kitchener.

I'm just surprised that he can't get anything right. Even by accident, you'd think he could get something right!

He did, putting Reilly out there on PP time. Thought it was his boy Murphy though.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Biggs may very have a U-18 Gold medal(or was it U-17?) and a U-20 after Saturday.

Pretty cool.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Biggs may very have a U-18 Gold medal(or was it U-17?) and a U-20 after Saturday.

Pretty cool.

Biggs has a gold medal from U-17 in 2010, U-18 in 2010 and U-18 in 2011.

Going for his fourth gold medal.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Biggs has a gold medal from U-17 in 2010, U-18 in 2010, and U-18 in 2011.

Going for his fourth gold medal.
He's a winner. He knows his role as well.

Anyone watching the U-17s? William Nylander (Michal's son) is an absolute beast. Won't be surprised to see him go top 3 in the 2014 draft.

Love him, I thought people were going raving him a bit more due to his father but he has got legit talent.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Wilson over Lipon, Monahan/Lowry over McNeill, and IDGAF over Murphy

I actually would have been fine if we still went with Murphy, but only if we didn't give him so many ****ing minutes! Although an offensive dman with some physicality would have been nice. Too bad Dumba is struggling this season.

What we really needed was Murray :(

leugangen

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto
This is why I blame Spott:

Today's lines:

Huberdeau-RNH-Rattie
Drouin-Strome-Scheifele
Danault-Jenner-Ritchie
Camara-McNeill-MacKinnon-Lipon

Harrington-Hamilton
Ouellet-Wotherspoon
Rielly-Murphy

Binnington
Subban

So Rattie gets top line duty while MacKinnon is still wasted on the fourth line? Rielly and Murphy are paired up? Now he decides to go with the "hot hand" in net (if he was ever going to go with Binnington, should have done it earlier, but Subban should be in net again today in my opinion).

Regardless if we win this game or not, I am not a fan of this lineup right now. The 2nd and 3rd lines are pretty strong though.

I still hate how Spott predetermined player roles and didn't adjust as the tournament went along. Sheesh.

JMcLeaf

This is why I blame Spott:

Today's lines:

Huberdeau-RNH-Rattie
Drouin-Strome-Scheifele
Danault-Jenner-Ritchie
Camara-McNeill-MacKinnon-Lipon

Harrington-Hamilton
Ouellet-Wotherspoon
Rielly-Murphy

Binnington
Subban

So Rattie gets top line duty while MacKinnon is still wasted on the fourth line? Rielly and Murphy are paired up? Now he decides to go with the "hot hand" in net (if he was ever going to go with Binnington, should have done it earlier, but Subban should be in net again today in my opinion).

Regardless if we win this game or not, I am not a fan of this lineup right now. The 2nd and 3rd lines are pretty strong though.

I still hate how Spott predetermined player roles and didn't adjust as the tournament went along. Sheesh.

I thought Rattie was actually one of our better forwards last game, which isn't saying much lol, but still that could explain the move.

I'm also not a fan of those defense pairings.

I have mixed feelings on Binnington starting. Really he should have started at the start of the tourny, but Spott went with Subban and it's not Subban's fault we lost the last game. Strange time to make the switch.

Let's hope we have a way better coach next year.

leugangen

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto
I thought Rattie was actually one of our better forwards last game, which isn't saying much lol, but still that could explain the move.

I'm also not a fan of those defense pairings.

I have mixed feelings on Binnington starting. Really he should have started at the start of the tourny, but Spott went with Subban and it's not Subban's fault we lost the last game. Strange time to make the switch.

Let's hope we have a way better coach next year.

Maybe the Rattie move will pay off, but for a coach that wanted to try and pair up teammates that had chemistry (Strome and Ritchie), he sure didn't make an effort for the more dynamic offensive pair (Mac and Drouin). At least put them with Strome for a full period or two, not just the occasional shift.

And those are my thoughts too, although I was happy Subban was given the net because from his performance in the summer I knew he'd come through. Regardless, switching goalies now of all times is really bizarre.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
easy win with Binny

however i do wanna say Forsberg... the captain of the hour
i mean come on, that's gotta mean something

why did people pass him UP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad