GDT: World Junior Championships 2013 - Discussion III

Zalemander

Nov 1, 2012
I cannot for the life of me figure out how Murphy made this team. He is the worst defensive player I can recall ever seeing play for team Canada...what a disgrace.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Wow, taunting the Canadian bench...

I wish this team had more players to keep the Russians honest, that needs to be addressed next time around, this team had zero bite outside of a few players.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Rielly and Murphy pairing :laugh:

Hamilton missing an empty net :biglaugh:

Murphy getting ****ed, which led to the game winner :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

JMcLeaf

Rielly had a great 3rd period. Unfortunately whenever Rielly was on the ice that meant Murphy had to be too.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Well atleast there was one time when murphy had a brutal giveaway in the third and reilly was the one who broke it up ;)

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Rielly had a great 3rd period. Unfortunately whenever Rielly was on the ice that meant Murphy had to be too.

It seems like a such simple thing to figure out, Yet Spott didn't fix it.

I thought I've already seen some of the worst coaching, Turns out I owe Ron Wilson and apology.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Just to display Spott's terrible coaching...he has a player that is arguably better than every single player in the tournament not named RNH or Yakupov(yet) and he sets him on the pine all tournament...Mackinnon needed playing time.

kamosko

Ginger Jesus
Jun 18, 2010
Girouxsalem
Canada needs to take the best players available, not the best 4th liners and 3rd liners but the 12 best forwards.

Guys like Jenner for the PK and stuff I understand, but guys who only play a physical dump and chase game don't really help score goals.

Guys like Monahan/Shinkaruk should've made the team, outside of the Nuge's line and the 2nd line a little bit no one else was scoring for Canada.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Canada needs to take the best players available, not the best 4th liners and 3rd liners but the 12 best forwards.

Guys like Jenner for the PK and stuff I understand, but guys who only play a physical dump and chase game don't really help score goals.

Guys like Monahan/Shinkaruk should've made the team, outside of the Nuge's line and the 2nd line a little bit no one else was scoring for Canada.

Especially when Monahan showed that he's capable of playing huge against this type of competition, he was stellar in the summer series Canada and Russia had.

JMcLeaf

I actually wish we had some tougher guys. Like Lipon was useless. Tom Wilson would have been a much better choice over him.

JMcLeaf

**** I wish Mackinnon got more ice time so I could see what he can do.

Really liked what I saw from Nichushkin this tourny.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
On a positive note, I thought Drouin had a fantastic tournament. He played a lot with MacKinnon and always looked like he had better control of the puck. Taking into account only this tournament, having MacKinnon rated higher than Drouin would seem pretty crazy. I'm glad i'm not a scout.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Very pleased how Nilsson and Biggs are playing in the gold medal game, both have been 2 of the better players on the ice thus far in the game.

SteveV*

Fair to say Reilly had a poor tournament, he looked shaky in his own end the whole time and had a ton of dangerous outlet passes. I think being touted on first line pairing, then the coach dropping him to last pairing, hardly playing at all, messed with his confidence. To me he looked nervous quite often and never found his groove. I don't think the coach used him properly, but he also instilled no confidence in the D zone, his lack of physicality was quite noticeable. Some work to do for sure...

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Apparently this was all Riellys fault. If you're to read the main board right now

While it wasn't ALL his fault, he shouldn't escape fault as it started with him trying to pinch or intercepting the pass and failing which caused him to out of position.

Overall his defensive game was inconsistent and yes i know before last game he only allowed one goal against. At times he was GREAT defensively but he seemed to get worst as the tourney went on.

Now I do think it was pure ******** and insanity that he was paired with Murphy who was a pure pylon defensively and at times Rielly had to save his ass.

I am not alarmed, in fact kinda glad. No I don't want Rielly to fail but rather I think he will garner more experience from this tourney overall.

His definitely not ready for NHL and it's sickening that Burke evens leaves the option to rushing him leaving it to Carlyle who only cares about his job and wins and being short sighted as he should.

I really hope he gets another year in whl next year, but like someone pointed out, with a contender team.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
He went from being the sole provider on Moose Jaw to being a 3rd pairing defenceman with Canada. Not something he's used to doing. Especially playing with someone as defensively inept as Murphy. Basically couldn't play his own game cause he was worried that Murphy would rush, or if he rushed that Murphy would be the only one back. Pretty stupid coaching by Spott. Didn't utilize any of his players to their strengths

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Saw the replay of Nichuskin goal, Rielly did tip the puck, the puck may have took a fortuitous bounce off the stanchion and didn't come back to Rielly, this is what everyone is missing. Bad bounce for Canada, good bounce for Russia. Nichuskin my fav comrade as I have been telling everyone since August, is one skilled player. Great goal by Nichuskin. I can't even blame Murphy so much, the comrade is a beast.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
He was the seventh defenceman for the majority of the tournament. He was used so sparingly that it doesn't surprise me one bit that he was never able to find his groove. Sure, he could have been better and I'll expect him to be if he is ever to join the Maple Leafs, but i'm not taking anything away from this tournament. The coaching was the worst i've ever seen.

GermanLeaf

Jun 9, 2011
Very pleased how Nilsson and Biggs are playing in the gold medal game, both have been 2 of the better players on the ice thus far in the game.
I agree, especially nilsson has impressed me this tournament. He is so calm out there, but still knows when his team needs him to be more aggressive and lay out timely hits. His decisionmaking is brilliant, he has very good positioning offensively as well as defensively, possesses good passing skills and puck control.

Another great pick by Bergman!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad