Movies: GDT: The 95th Oscars

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I must have missed it. They already presented the best director oscar? Wonder why they changed it from being presented right before the best picture oscar?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
f*** it, I'll share my personal diatribe. Not comparative suffering by any means, but as someone who fought crippling depression most of my life and found a way to overcome it, coupled with the fact that Brendan Fraser was basically my first favorite actor after George of the Jungle and the Mummy, his return to Hollywood has been well more than a treat to see and he has shown nothing but humility and kindness for the whole run. You could make arguments for the other actors but this is as good as a feel-good story gets. Happy for Brendan and hope this second act continues strong as a result of this win.

Edit:
I learned through people talking about it post awards that Brendan was cast in an upcoming Scorcese film with DiCaprio, De Niro, Plemmons and Lithgow. Seems to be a supporting role but still cool that he's got another go with a prestigious director.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Every year is a bit different. Best Picture always ends the show, but the other awards can shift around. I honestly believe it depends on the narrative.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
f*** it, I'll share my personal diatribe. Not comparative suffering by any means, but as someone who fought crippling depression most of my life and found a way to overcome it, coupled with the fact that Brendan Fraser was basically my first favorite actor after George of the Jungle and the Mummy, his return to Hollywood has been well more than a treat to see and he has shown nothing but humility and kindness for the whole run. You could make arguments for the other actors but this is as good as a feel-good story gets. Happy for Brendan and hope this second act continues strong as a result of this win.

Thank you for sharing.

I hope this means we will see more of Fraser. He is just so likeable.

Reactions: HanSolo

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Cate Blanchett gave one of the all time great performances and walked away empty handed.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
This ceremony is just one feel good story.

I have not cared about the Oscars since I no longer watch it about a decade ago, but I rooted hard for Yeoh to win. I could have never predicted that she would be the one to break the record, since she started as a martial arts star, she was never known for her acting, and she is 60, but she seized the opportunity, and delivered a career best.

Ke Huy Quan is another one that I am happy to see win. I still remember that he made a B-movie in Hong Kong in early 2000s, and then he pretty much disappeared. It is so nice to see him act again, and even win.

Finally, Fraser was pretty much slowly phased out of Hollywood, but he survived, and delivered the performance of a lifetime. I know it is Hollywood, but these are all just great narratives, and it is so nice to see.
:cheers:

Cate Blanchett gave one of the all time great performances and walked away empty handed.

Sometimes it is all about timing. Hollywood sincerely wants to give minorities their dues in the last couple of years, and Yeoh gave a career best too. It is what it is.

Plus, Blanchett will likely be back in the future, but I cannot say the same for Yeoh. She went 1 for 1, and her record will likely remain there, so I am especially happy for her.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Sometimes it is all about timing. Hollywood sincerely wants to give minorities their dues in the last couple of years, and Yeoh gave a career best too. It is what it is.

Plus, Blanchett will likely be back in the future, but I cannot say the same for Yeoh. She went 1 for 1, and her record will likely remain there, so I am especially happy for her.

In 1975, Art Carney won Best Actor for Harry & Tonto over Al Pacino in The Godfather Part II.

It was wrong then and it's wrong now.

Reactions: I am not exposed

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
In 1975, Art Carney won Best Actor for Harry & Tonto over Al Pacino in The Godfather Part II.

Pacino won for The Scent of a Woman. It was clearly a makeup Oscar.

Like I wrote, timing is everything. Blanchett already got 2 statues, and people took note of that too.

For full disclosure, I have not watched Tar yet, so I cannot say if she is robbed or not, but with awards, once again, timing is everything. Yeoh had all the momentum in the world. It is what it is.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Everything Everywhere & All Quiet were by far my two favorite movies this year so very pleased with the results tonight.

Happy for Fraser and all but my god what a horribly stupid movie

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I must have missed it. They already presented the best director oscar? Wonder why they changed it from being presented right before the best picture oscar?
They've never done that.

It's always been before the acting awards.

It goes Director ›Actor/Actress ›Picture

They will alternate Actor and Actress order (although this is back to back years they did Actor first).

The lone exception to this is the 2020 Oscars, where they were so far up their own ass with closing the show by having Chadwick Boseman's widow accept the award that they broke with tradition and moved Best Picture up and put Best Actor on last.

The result was an absent Anthony Hopkins winning and them looking like idiots.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Everything Everywhere & All Quiet were by far my two favorite movies this year so very pleased with the results tonight.

Happy for Fraser and all but my god what a horribly stupid movie
Yeah in all fairness The Whale was a bit of a...I don't want to say bad movie but it was flawed for a bunch of reasons. Excellent performance in a bit of a turd.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Carney gave a hell of a performance in Harry and Tonto. Pacino basically repeated what he did in The Godfather, part I, No quibble from me.

Reactions: Chili

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If ever a movie deserved an editing award, it sure is Everything Everywhere All at Once.
I was thinking about this yesterday and how the film really is a feat of editing, but then I was reminded of an opinion that the goal of editing should be that you don't even notice it. I think that I agree with that opinion. It's not that hard to make a lot of noticeable cuts. What takes more skill is making cuts less noticeable. Cuts, after all, are immersion breaking. Titanic is an example that was brought up because you likely don't think about the editing while you're watching it. When I was watching EEAAO, I was constantly thinking of the editing, which was a big distraction.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I was thinking about this yesterday and how the film really is a feat of editing, but then I was reminded of an opinion that the goal of editing should be that you don't even notice it. I think that I agree with that opinion. It's not that hard to make a lot of noticeable cuts. What takes more skill is making cuts less noticeable. Cuts, after all, are immersion breaking. Titanic is an example that was brought up because you likely don't think about the editing while you're watching it. When I was watching EEAAO, I was constantly thinking of the editing, which was a big distraction.
Each movie needs editing that is appropriate to its content. There was no way unintrusive editing ccould have worked in this film--it would have compromised the vision of the directors. I guess the question is does the editing suit what the movie is portraying, and, in this case, I think it does brilliantly.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Feels like the Banshees of Inisherin didn't get its due this year. It should have at least received a couple of awards.

Michelle Yeo is a feel-good story given her age, and I really enjoyed her performance, but I don't know...it feels Cate Blanchett's performance was superior and more deserving.

Reactions: izlez

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008

It's harder when you have two Oscars, that's why McDormand winning 3 was hard to believe. My all time favorite performance is Bette Davis in All About Eve who somehow lost cause she was already 2x winner.

I agree but I think there can be merit to noticeable editing too. I would have given it to Maverick not only for the flying scenes but imo the film is timed very well, the ratio of the flying scenes to the Connelly scenes splitting them up has to be right for the movie to work like it did.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
So bland is better? Cuts are unnoticeable when they conform to common film language - they are part of an assimilated system. Editing is great when creative, or works through scenes that are tough to put together, or create a peculiar pace to a film that needs it. Editing is amazing when it becomes part of the discourse, but not everybody is Godard. I haven't seen half of the films nominated this year, but I was under the impression that Editing was the only award EEAAO might really have deserved.

Also, I wanted to add something that my father taught me [not really but that I learned from the ceremony]: no person is more important than profits.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Each movie needs editing that is appropriate to its content. There was no way unintrusive editing ccould have worked in this film--it would have compromised the vision of the directors. I guess the question is does the editing suit what the movie is portraying, and, in this case, I think it does brilliantly.
I think that it could've been scaled back without affecting the directors' vision. The style got in the way of the substance for me, and even in some of the positive reviews that I've read, people have criticized the pacing and length. You thought that it could've used some "judicious trimming." A few others here and elsewhere have argued that the final fight and/or the film could've been shorter. Those seem like criticisms of the editing.
So bland is better?
No, when a film is well edited, it's the opposite of bland. I just don't think that the reverse is necessarily true.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I think that it could've been scaled back without affecting the directors' vision. The style got in the way of the substance for me, and even in some of the positive reviews that I've read, people have criticized the pacing and length. You thought that it could've used some "judicious trimming." A few others here and elsewhere have argued that the final fight and/or the film could've been shorter. Those seem like criticisms of the editing.

No, when a film is well edited, it's the opposite of bland. I just don't think that the reverse is necessarily true.

Well, maybe it didn't even deserve that one either!

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
So Vietnam is doing to Ke Huy Quan what Cambodia did to Dr Haing S Ngor for his movie the killing fields. Playing down that fact Quan was born in Vietnam and playing up the fact his parents were considered Chinese

Sort of irks me and me only that MANY news agencies suggested Quan was the first actor born in South East Asia to win a trophy, when clearly he was not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad