GDT The 94th Oscars - The Power Of The Slap

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Unless I misremembered, feels like a strawman since none of them assaulted someone on stage at the big show. We can talk about standards beyond the showpiece but that is a pretty crucial ingredient.

Besides, Hollywood cancelling Polanski? They're more protective of pedos than the Catholic church.
Yeah, what those people have done didn't happen at the Oscars so no need to ban them for the the same reason Will Smith was. It's a strawman that ignores the fact Smith was banned for something that happened during the ceremony on live tv and that he was banned from attending anything Oscar ceremony related. He's still eligible for nominations and winning but good luck with that now.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, he wasn't banned for socially unacceptable behavior. He was banned specifically for interrupting and tarnishing the ceremony. There may even be rules that members and invitees agree to about not going up on stage unless called and not making a scene in the audience. He may've been banned for breaking specific rules like that. Generally, organizations and businesses are likely to ban you if you break rules or assault people at their events, inside their establishments or while using their services, but they're unlikely to ban you for something unrelated to them. That would be a slippery slope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeppo

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Question that has always completely baffled me: why is it supposedly so uncool to bump an old thread? I mean, why the hell should anyone give a f***?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Question that has always completely baffled me: why is it supposedly so uncool to bump an old thread? I mean, why the hell should anyone give a f***?

I guess the only real downside is when you see people reacting to early posts in the thread without looking at the dates thinking that they are recent.

In some cases, the same old and tired arguments rise up again like a well-prepared soufflé, and in other cases they assume that the posts they are quoting are completely wrong when in all fairness they did not have the benefit of hindsight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad