GDT The 94th Oscars - The Power Of The Slap

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
That's pretty much not true. We've been hearing this for decades but the truth is folks who lean right by and large still (and always have) consume Hollywood products because they too wanted to be entertained.
I didn't say not watch films or tv series I just said not pay attention to Hollywood stars; my mom and her friends used to read those gossip magazines and such. They don't. They also don't go the movies anymore (this was pre-covid). Finally, my mother isn't "right"-- she's been a registered democrat since 1964 (big union family).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
"FAKE!"

- HFBoards assclowns

This seems petty and unnecessary, especially when they likely don't believe that anymore and the poster who was arguing it the most has even admitted to changing his mind about it.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That could explain why viewership has very steadily declined over the decades, but it was still pretty strong in 2014 and then rapidly declined.

8fec7ds9quravvx1roqzo1y5z60y2ot.png

Hollywood couldn't have lost that much glamour overnight. The Best Picture winners did seem to change, though. In 2014, the last strong year, the winner was 12 Years a Slave, a pretty popular and somewhat mainstream movie. The next three winners, from 2015-17, were Birdman, Spotlight and Moonlight, all movies that probably mostly cinephiles went to see and had any interest in. I suspect that a lot of people lost interest because the movies getting the most buzz were ones that few of them had seen.

Also, all of the controversy and bad publicity surrounding the Oscars in the last 7 years (ex. #OscarsSoWhite, removing categories, rescinding nominations, announcing the wrong winner) has likely hurt its image. In fact, the #OscarsSoWhite hashtag and the resulting boycott were for the 2015 awards, which aligns. It looks like that and Birdman might've started the decline and then more controversies and non-mainstream films kept it going.
I don’t really think the latter has very much to do with it. I think it’s more that there’s only one level to mainstream movies and that is the comic books, specifically Marvel. It’s my unscientific opinion that without Marvel, the movie theater industry would be almost extinct.

I don’t know the real answer to this, because I’ve only gone once in the past like 3 or 4 years, but when was the last time anyone here went to a movie theater and it was busy?

Reactions: Jussi

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don’t really think the latter has very much to do with it. I think it’s more that there’s only one level to mainstream movies and that is the comic books, specifically Marvel. It’s my unscientific opinion that without Marvel, the movie theater industry would be almost extinct.

I don’t know the real answer to this, because I’ve only gone once in the past like 3 or 4 years, but when was the last time anyone here went to a movie theater and it was busy?

I think that that's part of it, but my unscientific opinion is that the comic/Marvel movies are more to blame for the theater industry's struggles than saving it from it. As you noted, they comprise most of the mainstream movies, so people who aren't interested in those aren't going to the theater as much (or watching awards shows). Of course, people also aren't going because of the convenience of streaming, but I think that the dwindling variety of movies worth seeing in the theater plays a part, as well.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think that that's part of it, but my unscientific opinion is that the comic/Marvel movies are partly to blame for it rather than saving the theater industry from it. As you noted, they comprise most of the mainstream movies, so people who aren't interested in those aren't going to the theater as much (or watching awards shows). Of course, the rise of streaming services has had a huge impact on theater patronage, as well, so I'm not saying that it's mostly due to comic book movies, but the two things combined have made it so that mostly only the comic book fans are eager to the theater anymore.
Um, yeah, I could see it that way too that they are to blame. They just kind of sucked all the air in the room towards them

And streaming became easier because those movies don’t get the promotion that get people out, streaming gets it in front of eyes faster.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think that that's part of it, but my unscientific opinion is that the comic/Marvel movies are more to blame for the theater industry's struggles than saving it from it. As you noted, they comprise most of the mainstream movies, so people who aren't interested in those aren't going to the theater as much (or watching awards shows). Of course, people also aren't going because of the convenience of streaming, but I think that the dwindling variety of movies worth seeing in the theater plays a part, as well.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

“We need big movies…We’d hoped that Disney would hold on, but studios have to make their decisions based on their marketing spend and their marketing plan. If they aren’t certain that theaters will be open, they’re going to delay. We’re gratified that they’re moving and not going to Disney+. That’s kind of an important statement. But until we get some of that certainty, we may be seeing theaters close back down again because it’s really tough, if you don’t have new movies coming in, to keep the lights on. To keep paying people. You lose money being closed, but you may end up losing more money if you can’t get audiences in and you’re open.”
That shows how much they depend on Marvel movies and big event type movies to survive.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That shows how much they depend on Marvel movies and big event type movies to survive.

We know that they're needed right now to recover from COVID (which that article is about) and because Marvel movies make up most of the big money makers. The issue is whether it's good that it got to this point. Heroin addicts depend on heroin and it does them good in the short term, but no one would argue that heroin is good for them in the big picture. If the movie industry is dependent on Marvel movies, that doesn't sound like a healthy industry to me, personally.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
We know that they're needed right now to recover from COVID (which that article is about) and because Marvel movies make up most of the big money makers. The issue is whether it's good that it got to this point. Heroin addicts depend on heroin and it does them good in the short term, but no one would argue that heroin is good for them in the big picture. If the movie industry is dependent on Marvel movies, that doesn't sound like a healthy industry to me, personally.
They were very dependent of them before Covid already. From a simple business perspective, they need big event type movies that sell out screenings, not "cinema" which bring in less than half a room.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They were very dependent of them before Covid already. From a simple business perspective, they need big event type movies that sell out screenings, not "cinema" which bring in less than half a room.

Yes, and those big event movies are predominantly Marvel movies at the moment, but I wouldn't suggest from that they need Marvel movies. If there were no Marvel movies, there'd just be other big event movies, instead.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I think it is a fair observation to ask--If it has been a white guy slapping a back guy would the resaults been the same?

Lots of people have used the Will Smith-Chris Rock incident to shoehorn their pet issues but I don't see how that dynamic wouldn't have made it an even bigger incident (if that's even possible). If you're asking if a white guy gets a lighter sentence, I personally don't see it. Not at that level/hype.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I think it is a fair observation to ask--If it has been a white guy slapping a back guy would the resaults been the same?
I don't think so. People throwing a hissy fit over a display of violence like this sounds like schoolteachers trying to put on a good front when there's a student conflict. It's always the retaliator's fault they can't keep control of the themselves. The instigator can be an ass all he wants if the damage remains "intangible". The recipient(usually victims as well, but not always) has to be the "moral" person and suck it up.

My analogy isn't perfect. Rock wasn't bullying Smith, but there is something messed up with Smith's relationship with Jada, and probably Smith giggling triggered Jada and then this move was to compensate whatever punishment he was going to get from Jada at home.

Anglo society doesn't like overt displays of emotions or resorting to overt violence and puts onus on the recipient to suck it up and turn the other cheek. "You weren't Jesus-like enough", basically.

Cancelling Smith isn't going to fix criminals. They already know they can shoot people if they cover their tracks. They have a pragmatic understanding of "the law".

Smith has also done a very good job of cultivating the image of a light-hearted "cool dude" and "cool dad", so much so that most fans are not aware of his rap career, where his biggest highlights are also PG at worst like Summertime.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Unless I misremembered, feels like a strawman since none of them assaulted someone on stage at the big show. We can talk about standards beyond the showpiece but that is a pretty crucial ingredient.

Besides, Hollywood cancelling Polanski? They're more protective of pedos than the Catholic church.

Reactions: Jussi

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Those ratings for the Oscars look even worse when you consider the population of the country.

In 1980, when the Oscars had 49M viewers, the population of the Untied States was only 226M.

The population of the USA today is 330M, and the Oscars just got 16M views.

49M/226M = 22%
16M/330M = 5%

Reactions: Osprey

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Unless I misremembered, feels like a strawman since none of them assaulted someone on stage at the big show. We can talk about standards beyond the showpiece but that is a pretty crucial ingredient.

Besides, Hollywood cancelling Polanski? They're more protective of pedos than the Catholic church.

I agree. That said, if Hollywood banned everyone with skeletons in their closet all that would be left is Tom Hanks talking to himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad