GDT Oil Leak @ Flying Injured/MumpsFeatherings 7:00 PT/ Who Cares? ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Poor Andersen. He should have so many shut outs this year but either the team stops skating in front of him OR some ******** play like the one last night transpires. Maybe we can teach Bork to do that bowling ball technique and run into the defender so Getzlaf can get the puck all alone in front of the net. Then again Getzlaf would probably just try and pass it anyways :facepalm:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Props to Rakell. IMO, his best game of the year, and arguably in a Ducks sweater.

2nd line was the best line tonight IMO. Very impressed with Palmieri. Kesler's relentlessness has made Palmieri better IMO.

Delightful to hear that Palmieri and Rakell have stepped up.

DaDucks*

Kinda sad Rakell has to look "flashy" for people to see that he has skill.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

It was more then just flashy plays that were impressive last night.

He seemed to have a lot of confidence with the puck, which is something I've rarely seen out of him at this level. He was also winning puck battles and creating scoring chances. He was not doing this earlier in the year. There's a reason BB moved him from the 3rd line to the 4th line to start the year.

DaDucks*

Huh? Were people questioning his skill level? His most common criticisms were his abilities in the offensive zone and he looked good there tonight.

Well he used his skill to create his scoring chances last night, I see them as connected criticisms. His stock has certainly dropped here on HF which is reasonable, but there were a lot of "surprised posters" in this GDT about his play, which tells me people have either forgotten what he is capable of, or have no clue about his abilities. I had to point out his skill in the defense zone last year, and his ability to pass and carry the puck out of the defensive zone. I have no problem with people wanting an upgrade at 3rd line center, (I'm one of them) but I don't like the quick judgments on 21 yr old prospects with a handfull of games played. There has been new discussions on these boards about "respecting" our prospects time to develop. Well, perfect time to start with Rakell, Manson, VATANEN, Karlsson etc....My point about this post is that it is certainly easier to see a more polarizing prospect's weaknesses and strengths. I don't think many posters take the time to really watch Rakell on the ice which leads to negative opinions being formed from his stat sheet, or in this piticular case, whether he was a stand out or not.

getzforfighting*

I'm oddly starting to really like Rakell, its weird because I was pretty negative about him going into the season. He seems like a bright kid that has a chance to put it together, though. Would be a nice fit with Cogs/Silf in the future.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

yeah, lot of people are down on Rakell. Not me. Trade for a rental 3C and let Ricky spend the year in norfolk. then move him to the NHL next year

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Nope. It's too late. Rakell had his last chance, and he had no points. He's 21, so clearly he's over the hill. Neeeeeexxxxxxt.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I actually think Rakell and Silfverberg are similar (not in play style). I do believe they have both experienced confidence issues at the NHL level during dry spells (points wise). Luckily Silf has been our most productive bottom 6 player and one of our best possession players all season. Rakell has looked more confident making plays with the puck lately

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Silfverberg, to me, is an example of why you can't just toss a kid aside because he is developing a little more slowly than you'd like. Some people are way too willing to toss kids aside for the next new toy. I'm glad the organization doesn't feel the same, and is willing to be patient.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Rakell has always had the hard work part of the game down, his issue has been holding the puck too long and trying to be too fancy doing the things he can get away with in the AHL. And not scoring. I'm not sure that being really fancy against the worst team in the NHL necessarily means he's arrived, it just means he was playing a team not too far above the talent level he can dominate at. Hopefully he doesn't try that fancy stuff against the Sharks, I don't see it ending well for anyone if he does.

Hopefully it's good for his confidence though and he continues improving.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I'm not down on Rakell at all but I don't think his upside is huge. I see 2nd/3rd line tweener if it all pans out. I think this year we need an upgrade for the 3C spot but he's not far off being ready for a 3rd line role. Not sure whether he's better suited in the middle or on the wing at this point.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Silfverberg, to me, is an example of why you can't just toss a kid aside because he is developing a little more slowly than you'd like. Some people are way too willing to toss kids aside for the next new toy. I'm glad the organization doesn't feel the same, and is willing to be patient.

I'd add in Boners as well. Even though we got him via trade I'd say Anaheim did a good job molding him.

I'm obviously biased but I think Anaheim is one of the best in the league for scouting and developing players. Too bad Schultz only saw dollar signs in Edmonton and not the positives in Anaheim.

Ando

Keyboard Warrior
Oct 18, 2014
Central Coast, CA
I'd add in Boners as well. Even though we got him via trade I'd say Anaheim did a good job molding him.

I'm obviously biased but I think Anaheim is one of the best in the league for scouting and developing players. Too bad Schultz only saw dollar signs in Edmonton and not the positives in Anaheim.

Thankfully we aren't a place where prospects come to lose and hinder their development, like the sOilers. That team is cursed as **** yo.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014

:) 100% agree, and glad I'm not the only one.

Nope. It's too late. Rakell had his last chance, and he had no points. He's 21, so clearly he's over the hill. Neeeeeexxxxxxt.

:D

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
Well he used his skill to create his scoring chances last night, I see them as connected criticisms. His stock has certainly dropped here on HF which is reasonable, but there were a lot of "surprised posters" in this GDT about his play, which tells me people have either forgotten what he is capable of, or have no clue about his abilities. I had to point out his skill in the defense zone last year, and his ability to pass and carry the puck out of the defensive zone. I have no problem with people wanting an upgrade at 3rd line center, (I'm one of them) but I don't like the quick judgments on 21 yr old prospects with a handfull of games played. There has been new discussions on these boards about "respecting" our prospects time to develop. Well, perfect time to start with Rakell, Manson, VATANEN, Karlsson etc....My point about this post is that it is certainly easier to see a more polarizing prospect's weaknesses and strengths. I don't think many posters take the time to really watch Rakell on the ice which leads to negative opinions being formed from his stat sheet, or in this piticular case, whether he was a stand out or not.

I wholeheartedly agree. Hopefully the Ducks patience with Rakell will pay off and he really blossoms. I've felt that defensively and with his face offs, he was developing into 3rd line center. Hopefully, being sent down and having success can awaken his offensive game and boost his confidence that he can play in the League. I would wait until deadline to see how Rakell develops before trying to upgrade. If he blossoms, he could be our best option.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Thankfully we aren't a place where prospects come to lose and hinder their development, like the sOilers. That team is cursed as **** yo.

LOL. Never heard them called the sOilers before. Too perfect. :laugh:

They should start flipping those first round picks for proven players. But that's just my opinion.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
The blank stare of someone who's just beaten. This has to be one of the worst jobs in NA....and I've watched a lot of Dirty Jobs.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
I dont see a youngster breaking through the call up, send down, swap linemate crap that BB uses instead of a solid system.

Of course that is unless your a Dman and this team's blueline is somewhat cursed :)

Etem, Belesky, Rakell, Palmeri, DSP, Maroon...

Im not saying those guys are going to make it or not... but I fully expect to vaguely remember all those names 3 years from now.

ekm01

Sep 24, 2014
At the game, i didnt even realize that Yakupov or Draisaitl were playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad