GDT: October 7 | Lok-MNk | Sev-Sib | Atl-Adm | SKA-Amr | CSKA-SYu | Lev-MMg | Mdv-Nft

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
yes but all of you guys forget when u mention that 7 game loss of Medvescak is 1) they were 30 guys that never met playing together 2) had the shortest training camp before 3) most never played in KHL nor had expirience with the russian style.
So yeah they lost 7 in a row but they needed time to adjust and learn to work together by instinct, and even during their bad run each game was getting better, look at their scores, until SKA game win in overtime. u can see in their scores before SKA last game was an over time loss or a close loss game. before that at the beginning they were blowouts even at home. SO give them credit for the losses it was a learning curve.

I think they're advantaged in many ways.

60-70% of players have experience in Europe (big ice), plus they all know the small ice game as well. It's a nice 1-2 big ice/small ice punch.

Nonetheless, it's good to see them do well. It's great for the KHL.

alce*

Medvescak is good on the home ice. Now we'll look how good they are on away ice. I myself would not be surprised if they'd fall down from the first ten in the west conference after next seven games.

SledgeHammer

Sep 30, 2013
Zagreb
In EBEL, Medvescak played equally good no matter if they were at home or away. So I think they will not fall down that much after next seven games.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
To be honest I think its a lot easier to adjust to big ice than vice versa.

Small ice forces you to react a lot faster and work harder. On big ice you have more time for more or less everything. That's why Team USA or Team Canada do well on the big ice even with guys who never played on it before.

So in fact playing on small ice at home should be an advantage for Medvescak also on road games as they will always be the team with the better reaction time.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
IMO, the ice size difference is way overrated. The team had troubles in first 7 out of 8 games because they just started to play together and not because of the ice size. I mean, it isn't even full 4m difference, but only 2m.

But time will tell, as always.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
IMO, the ice size difference is way overrated. The team had troubles in first 7 out of 8 games because they just started to play together and not because of the ice size. I mean, it isn't even full 4m difference, but only 2m.

But time will tell, as always.

you clearly don't watch much hockey, do you? turn on your computer, tune in to Avangard - Dinamo, try to find 100 differences between this game and the game you watched yesterday. Looks like a different sport

SledgeHammer

Sep 30, 2013
Zagreb
you clearly don't watch much hockey, do you? turn on your computer, tune in to Avangard - Dinamo, try to find 100 differences between this game and the game you watched yesterday. Looks like a different sport

Billy piton said IMO (in my opinion), time will tell and so on..
He didn't say it IS, unlike you..

Don't you think KHL would do something about that issue if it was that much of a problem (like not include teams with small rinks)?
I think big ice lobby is much stronger here:naughty:

alce*

Don't you think KHL would do something about that issue if it was that much of a problem (like not include teams with small rinks)?

What problem are you talking about? I don't see here any problem at all.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

again, if you read my previous posts, KHL has allowed Admiral and Medvescak to play on smaller ice rinks as it decreases the difference once there's lack of talent. Medvescak though was able to assemble a team that doesn't need such help.

roki977

Sep 6, 2013
Zagreb
Is it possible that some people are thinking that small rink is enough to beat teams with 5,6,7 times bigger budget? I think its not fair to even mention smaller rink in most games when Medvescak is playing.

alce*

Is it possible that some people are thinking that small rink is enough to beat teams with 5,6,7 times bigger budget? I think its not fair to even mention smaller rink in most games when Medvescak is playing.

Why not? Six last games were on small ice. Next seven games will show what we can expect from the team in this season.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

small rink, coaching, decent selection, fans a little bit of everything.

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
First of all, our rink stays as it is. Top card in our bid for KHL was - first North American team in KHL, and in fact in whole Europe. Or you think Russian brass was interested in seeing players with croatian roots as prio1? LOL.
USA&CA was our pitching line, and it was a good bet. It's going to be interesting getting numbers in spring on how we draw on road. I think people will want to see NA team, even more now when they show signs of gelling into a strong team.
I'm not saying there won't be any more losing streaks. There will. It's normal. But if you think our boys won't be getting wins on road at all, you clearly haven't been watching them play.
Unless Russian teams learn to play some better D, and fast, I'm betting on 50% wins on the road for us before season is over.

alce*

Unless Russian teams learn to play some better D, and fast, I'm betting on 50% wins on the road for us before season is over.

I like it. :laugh: First he predicts Olympics results on Medvescak play, now he talks about 50% away wins before winning even one. Funny guy.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Agreed with NJ above. Medvescak DOES NOT have a NA sized ring, and just so you know, besides Admiral, Slovan has a similar sized ring. its as u call it "finish" ring in here. Also Lev doesnt have a olympic size aswell (i think between medvescak n olympic). And mind u this is the size you in 90% wanted as the one to have on the rink size forum (go see if u like). SO rink size plays a part but not that big (otherwise they would not have lost to Riga n Slovan), FANS play a huge part in home games yes as does the NA more physical game (its still not as aggressive as NHL though with the bigger ice)

But i do agree with couple of you that 1) next set of away games will see how they stand on away games on big ice as i dont recognize the first away trips as showing 2) more than a few players played on big ice aswell so they can adapt same as the rest as the ice is finish size.

ANd no i do not belive they will have such loosing streaks oon big ice. their cohesiveness is much better, they grown confidence and loosened up. To prove it notice the home games OT 4:3 vs ska (they should have won objectively 3:1) than 2:1 yugra , 3:2 barys , 3:0 avtomobilist, 4:0 avangard, 6:0 himki. Do oyu see anything? each one they won with more ease and domination (yes even avangard with 40 to 16 shots to avangard, but from those 16 10 were excellent oportunities n avangards maybe 2). And if u see the games the domination and quantity of very good chances progressing. Yes they will loose games (as anybody) but it wount be like at the beginning (especially with animal Burst and Dekanich on goal)

Hockeyfan31*

Lol Croats are becoming unbearable here. Imagine if they get in play-offs, Gagarin will be theirs then :D

Oh and I don't think there are many people that still take NJDevilsZG's seriously, after his Olympic visions

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
lol hockeyfan31 you should meet us in person lol. but you must admit they played really well, something most didnt expect. and i think teams comeing to Dom Sportova got a bit intimidated by the fans n the support aswell. i am sure russian teams will be more aggressive at home and cohesive. it will be great games to watch definitively :)

alce*

ANd no i do not belive they will have such loosing streaks oon big ice. their cohesiveness is much better, they grown confidence and loosened up. To prove it notice the home games OT 4:3 vs ska (they should have won objectively 3:1) than 2:1 yugra , 3:2 barys , 3:0 avtomobilist, 4:0 avangard, 6:0 himki. Do oyu see anything? each one they won with more ease and domination (yes even avangard with 40 to 16 shots to avangard, but from those 16 10 were excellent oportunities n avangards maybe 2). And if u see the games the domination and quantity of very good chances progressing. Yes they will loose games (as anybody) but it wount be like at the beginning (especially with animal Burst and Dekanich on goal)

If you take away games with Avto(4 wins,-18,5 games lost in a row) and Avangard(3 wins,-32,9 games lost in a row), you would see nothing special in this home series. Several hard earned close wins and one big win. It's a very good result, of course, but not the reason to be carried away so much.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
If you take away games with Avto(4 wins,-18,5 games lost in a row) and Avangard(3 wins,-32,9 games lost in a row), you would see nothing special in this home series. Several hard earned close wins and one big win. It's a very good result, of course, but not the reason to be carried away so much.

well if u take out 4 best games of i dn barys at home you could say the same thing lol what kinda logic is that? if you take out the 6 wins our home games r crap :D lol And you still wouldnt say such a thing if u had watched Barys or SKA or Yugra. SKA was not dominating, it was 3:1 till last 10 min and than Kovalcuk (not SKA as a team) pulled goals out of his hat (uff i bow to that guy, just a total beast). With Yugra it shoulda been much more in the net, but there were many excellent chances blown but medvescak was dominating with the score not getting into question. Barys game was a real beauty from both sides. But Medvescak was better with better chances with 3:1 going in to the lats third. Barys had one really good chance in the 3/3 and took it. the rest there were no chances for them. really good hockey but no chances. its just the way they won.
And i must say you are wrong with getting carried away. for a rookie team with new players, lowest budget in the league, where the players here were said at one point to be just another AHL-ers, to take out highest budget, top ranking teams and some teams said to be better than them is an incredible achievement. Im not saying theyll be first in the west or win the gagarin cup, but its something to be happy and proud off and gives optimistic expectations of getting to the playoffs (if lucky in the middle and not 8th) and maybe even passing the first round.

roki977

Sep 6, 2013
Zagreb
small rink, coaching, decent selection, fans a little bit of everything.

I agree with you and yes small ice is playing its roll but not that much to be in every comment about Medvescak home wins. Medvescak is my team and this small ice *****ing is slowly getting on my nerves.
Two very hard away games are in front off them and will be happy with, 2,3 points and ice size wont be factor if they win or lose.
And 6 wins in raw from fresh team like that with lowest budget in KHL (not sure if it is but I think it is) is very big deal for every Medvescak fan esc. after 7 games without win. It would be for other "small" team fan to. Nothing strange about it or someone is feeling they are special..

Imagine what would NHL teams do to SKA in their arenas if Medvescak can beat them on small ice. They would totally **** them. That true or not it is something to think about..

Last edited:

alce*

well if u take out 4 best games of i dn barys at home you could say the same thing lol what kinda logic is that? if you take out the 6 wins our home games r crap :D lol

What the hell are you talking about? Unlike Medvescak Barys have several good away wins. Medvescak have none at all. So don't try to twist my words. You can't judge Medvescak strength on the results of games against teams that are losing to everyone. As I've arleady said - It's a good result, but nothing special for a long home series.

Im not saying theyll be first in the west or win the gagarin cup, but its something to be happy and proud off and gives optimistic expectations of getting to the playoffs (if lucky in the middle and not 8th) and maybe even passing the first round.

Yeh, but I don't see yet reasons for such expectations. Medvescak didn't show any good away play yet, so it's too early to talk about playoff, to say nothing about first round.

Today we'll see away game with another outsider Minsk and it's a very good chance to get first away win. Next will be game with Donetsk that is very strong playoff contender. If Medvescak wins both these games I would say that there is a very good playoff expectations. If Medvescak wins only Minsk game I would say that there is a chance. And if Medvescak loses both games ... then I would wait for end of away series to makes any playoff predictions.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
well we were talking about home games not all games. n as i said before the first 7 losses were not a realistic picture of the team for the reasons mention, which i am not gona say again.
And i basically agreed with you that these away games will show how they stand in general away from the fort.
But i do not agree with you of down playing a streak of great wins against immensely strong n rich clubs (dont forget CSKA win aswell) where one player coasts as much as the whole Medvescak team. Its like i dn Zenit beating Real Madrid , Barcelona and Chelsea in the same year. You wouldnt say ah not bad scores nice. you would be more like wohooo yeaaahh we ruleeee lol
I dn maybe its a pure clash of mentalities. maybe that is why our fans are so passionate n loud, win or loose if the players (as we say) leave their hearts in rink. We take the good stuff what we can get where we can get it lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad