GDT Game of thrones. Episode 5 there will be blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
My favorite part of this entire season ironically, at the very least, has been Sansa Stark being the most ****ing logical person and having by all acounts the most believable arc of the characters here. I'm so incredibly disappointed. Seasons of waiting for characters entire arcs to be thrown out the ****ing window. Conveniently having 1 dragon become immune to spears and capable of destroying KL on it's own while the other was knocked out from behind a mountain seemingly kilometers away with 3 SHOTS IN A ROW LOL.

This really, really sucks to see the show go out like this.

first this dragon is a lot bigger then the other two and it looks like he is smarter too. secondly they thought flying up there they were invincible and weren't taking any threats serious. that part is actually very believable

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Jaime and Cersei's arc could have been wrapped up better even in light of what they were pushing towards here.

Could have had Euron meet up with Cersei after she passes by the Cleganes. Euron and Cersei get out to the beach, Jaime sees them. Conversation ensues, Euron finally pieces together that it's not his child. Fight breaks out. Jaime accidentally stabs Cersei in the chaos, she slowly bleeds out. Meanwhile, Euron taunts Jaime as being a queenslayer now too, that his life is over because he killed the one person he actually loved and that Daenerys is just as insane as the father he killed and will kill him if he survives, etc. They continue to fight, Jaime wins the fight.

As she's dying, Cersei tells Jaime about how for years she always thought it would be Tyrion who would fulfill the prophesy, that she always treated him terribly because of it. That she made sure he would get convicted for Joffrey's murder, which led to the death of their father and Myrcella, and how her turning on the Tyrells in a lust for power killed Tommen and brought them here today. That it was all her fault after all, something to that effect. She dies in Jaime's arms. Jaime in sorrow makes his way to the boat that Tyrion left for him and sails off to Pentos to live out the rest of his days.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Remember when she chained her dragons for killing one child ?

So yeah, it makes sense to murder thousands of them now.

if anything chaining up dragons for killing 1 child was stupid beyond belief. this is more realistic imo and truer to human nature

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Dany going mad queen isn't necessarily a bad story turn for her. It's been foreshadowed from the beginning. The problem is that they made it happen so fast. If you see her on S8E1 compared to S8E4/5 it's a drastic change in such a short time. The reason given being loneliness and her top advisers dying/betraying her. Meanwhile JS revealing his heritage, being a threat to her power, and distancing himself from her romantically.

More reason why both seasons 7 & 8 should have had a full allotment of 10 episodes, maybe even a 9th season to fully lay out these plot points and not have everything happen so suddenly and rushed. The entire end game was rushed and plot points were forced together often in ways that completely went against established characterizations in order to just finish the thing off instead of doing it right. Season 8 should have been focused on the fight against the dead and then season 9 resolving the final war.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah like nothing has happened between that moment and now. :sarcasm:

She is not the person she was then... she has basically lost everyone who was close to her and her two "children" between then and now. People change. This episode the only person that's close to her and whom she actually trusts is Greyworm. She snapped.

Greyworm just wants blood now to so...

Like I said last night, she told Jon “fear it is” when speaking about being loved or feared.

If she wants to be feared, it makes total sense she burned down KL. That would put fear into anyone, anywhere, who crosses her.

I’m not happy they went this way with her, but what she did lines up completely with what she told Jon.

Also: Arya riding a "pale horse"

And

Anything to make of Varys' rings?

Varys heard footsteps and knew they were coming to execute him, so he took off his jewelry basically. I’ve seen lots of shows where someone knows they are going to get executed/whacked and they take off their jewelry first.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I thought the most emotional moment of the episode and one that was, unlike a lot of things this season, not forced or rushed in any way was the last moments Tyrion and Jamie shared as brothers. Cercei brings out the stupid in Jamie so their scene together, while on some level emotional, wasn't one that I felt personally invested in. They had a sick, sick relationship. But the brotherly relationship between Tyrion and Jamie brought out the best in Jamie and it was quite touching and easy to relate to.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The fact that she's burned people alive in all 8 seasons?

In my world that isn't normal behavior.
I guess. I think if you want to rule, there's probably some crappy things you have to do. Getting eviscerated by Dragon fire is probably a quick and easy way to go, relatively speaking.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Dany kind of forgot about Yara waiting for her on the Iron Islands.

Actually, it fits because she's nuts.

That was the warlocks from the house of the undying. Another plot that disappeared.

The warlocks were drawn to her because she was destined to be evil, her and her 3 monsters.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Dany has always been power hungry. The fact that she wants that power to "break the wheel" doesn't make her less susceptible to being corrupted by it.

Reactions: BKarchitect

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Dany kind of forgot about Yara waiting for her on the Iron Islands.

Actually, it fits because she's nuts.

The warlocks were drawn to her because she was destined to be evil, her and her 3 monsters.
They were drawn to her because of her dragons. They even say as much.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Dany has always been power hungry. The fact that she wants that power to "break the wheel" doesn't make her less susceptible to being corrupted by it.

At the end of the day, I agree with this. We can argue (and I'd agree) that the entire pacing is way, way too rushed this season and her turn to the dark side seems a bit clumsy if you are looking for a deep dive into a true decent to madness. I figured she would do terrible things this episode but was hopeful before she took it this far, a voice of "good" would still pop into her head, that she would stop and realize who she has become and that Tyrion would ultimately be proven right that she is different (than her father and other tyrannical leaders).

But...this is GOT and things rarely end well. And with all she's gone through adding to her "commitment" to being on the Throne this entire series and smaller acts of violence she's clearly had no issues with and everything she has lost in the past two seasons and her family history, I just cannot agree at all with those who say this is "out of character" for her or that DD's suddenly sprung this out of nowhere. People may not be happy that this is where the series (and likely the books too - let's not just blame the DD's here) has ended up but it was coming the entire time. It doesn't feel good or right or just or happy or complete or fair - and it doesn't have to.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
they turned Jon into such a p***y this season....at this point, i hope he dies with Dany too. He's been pretty much useless these episodes. Almost like a secondary character.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
So - Will Arya or Jon use the scorpion in the red keep (the one in the intro) to kill Drogon?

Will Jon get put in chains only to be saved at the last minute by Arya killing Dany?

I presume Grey Worm is gonna be pissed at Jon

How are they gonna tie in Sansa and Bran to the the finale?

I hope they keep the emo f*** out of the last episode.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
they turned Jon into such a ***** this season....at this point, i hope he dies with Dany too. He's been pretty much useless these episodes. Almost like a secondary character.

I'm half expecting Dany to have him executed. Either that or one of his little sisters will have to save him again like they've been doing for two seasons now.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
But I’ve been told it didn’t fit, and is out of character, and misogynist.
I mean, it's literally just a list of her saying she is gonna burn stuff. If that is the ling game they have been playing, it's pretty weak. She is the queen of dragons, what do you think she is gonna threaten people with. And she had never treated commoners with disdain, only slavers or her enemies.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
These last two episodes (perhaps three) have completely ruined the entire series. What a f***ing sham. All they had to do was end the series with some consistency and stay true to the character arcs they had been filming for years, and they blew it.

Jon is a total bitch who is blindly loyal to his aunt, Dany goes completely mad in an episode and a half, Arya dies a hundred times and then is suddenly fine, Jaime decides after everything he’s been through to change that he’d rather just die with Cersei, we get zero backstory on the Night King/Bran dynamic, the Scorpions can’t decide whether or not they can kill dragons in one hit...the only thing they didn’t f*** up was Cleganebowl.

Can’t believe it.

Reactions: Exley72

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yes, complaining about the “salt level” of fans is a great way to improve discourse. Take a look in the mirror.

You have no clue how the books will end, or what Martin has planned. He has all but divorced himself from the show since season five, which is telling in its own right. Moreover, we know for a fact that Arya killing the Night King is entirely a show invention.

There has long been evidence in the books to suggest Dany becomes a “Mad Queen,” so that’s nothing groundbreaking. Thematically, it seems fitting as a GRRM driven plot point. It’s also the only thing that has worked this season. Color me surprised.

On Danaerys -

When the show was faithfully adapting the books, there was ample and graceful foreshadowing that this was within Dany’s character from the word go. George R.R. Martin is a skilled writer when it comes to long arcs with his characters and foreshadowing their intents. This translates to the first four seasons or so of the show - her threats against Qarth in Season 2, crucifying and executing slave masters, burning alive Dothraki and Meerenese folks, all while talking a big game about her destiny as a ruler whether people wanted her to be or not, breaking the wheel, and letting people live in her new world or die in their old one, etc.

So really, this ending for her lines up for me. My only problem is that once the show outpaced the books and started relying on Benioff and Weiss as writers, almost all of the subtlety and nuance was gone. Dany was essentially portrayed as a white knight for the past few seasons, especially Season 7 and the beginning of Season 8. All of that served to make her actions last night seem a bit abrupt and rushed, which as a viewer, I can see causing quite a bit of narrative whiplash.

The show is still amazing to watch in many aspects. The actors all do a superb job. The directors (MVP award to Miguel Sapochnik), the CGI team, the production design, Ramin Djawadi on the music, all of them have contributed to make this some of the most epic television ever. It’s just too bad that the writing and plotting hasn’t matched that level of superiority. There have still been great moments in the past few seasons, but as has been pointed out by people more eloquent than myself, there have been a lot of narrative plot contrivances and conveniences to whisk the story along in the direction the showrunners want it to go. (Euron somehow killing Rhaegal last week, but everyone being absolutely eviscerated by Drogon’s daylight, head on charge this week, for example).

Anyway - I thought Cleganebowl, and Arya’s dash through the city were the highlights this week, as well as Tyrion and Jamie’s last moment together (although I’m terrified for Tyrion next week).

Lowlights were Jamie going back to Cersei, and Jon being given so little to do.

But all in all, a breathtaking hour plus of television. Legitimately have no idea what’s coming next - do we get a darkest timeline ending with Dany ruling over Westeros with an iron fist? Or does someone take her out?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Cersei dies a pathetic death knowing all her children are dead, her baby will never be born, her lover is dying, and her kingdom burning down around her.

Sure it wasnt a fist pumping death like Joffrey or Ramsey, but it was certainly a fitting one for a character of her class of evil. Every single death in the serious does not need to be a rally moment (for characters or fans).

Im totally fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad