GDT: GDT Game #III Pens vs Flames 1900hrs EST: The BlindWillyMcHurt Banishment Edition

First goal:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Why does Sullivan give the line with already poor offensive zone play more opportunity? Of what value is that to the team and game? You put your offensive threats in the best opportunity to score.
Already explained that. There will be nights where L1 and L2 will be worse than L3 or L4. As a coach, you adjust at that time.
Sometimes we get our top guys ghosting or being such big defensive liabilities where their offense isn't worth it. That was the case with Malkin's line last year in the 2nd half. Fat minuses.
But this also gets more to the point of Jesse's post about shifts beginning more on the fly than via faceoffs. The GF% doesn't start and stop only when there is or is not a faceoff in a particular zone. Realistically, it's only a single factor in a multi-factor analysis of a player or line's overall play.
Single factor, yes. Huge factor, also yes. Not to mention GA% gets impacted by these changes too.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Already explained that. There will be nights where L1 and L2 will be worse than L3 or L4. As a coach, you adjust at that time.
I think that's a good internet reply that doesn't have any basis in reality, no offense. If the team is down 1-2 goals late in the game and L3 and L4 are carrying the play and you get an offensive zone faceoff...do you really think Sullivan is putting out Nieto-Accari-Carter over Jake-Sid-Rust? Over any sample size that is meaningful, I say no.
Sometimes we get our top guys ghosting or being such big defensive liabilities where their offense isn't worth it. That was the case with Malkin's line last year in the 2nd half. Fat minuses.
Which is why you then keep that line in the offensive zone and play the L3/4 guys in the defensive zone.
Single factor, yes. Huge factor, also yes. Not to mention GA% gets impacted by these changes too.
Not a huge factor. At all. A factor yes. Huge? No.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm confused, I thought our season was over after we lost to Chicago? That's what I was told anyway

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
What did I miss that @BlindWillyMcHurt did something that he gets publicly banned in title and thread????? but BWMH is here posting now?! WHAT DID I MISS outside of the pens giving the capitals a good old fashion schlacking
Openly admitted last night to being outside for the first 2 goals in the GDT. Then voluntarily suggested to go back outside for the rest of the game. I’m not superstitious….

giphy.gif

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I think that's a good internet reply that doesn't have any basis in reality, no offense. If the team is down 1-2 goals late in the game and L3 and L4 are carrying the play and you get an offensive zone faceoff...do you really think Sullivan is putting out Nieto-Accari-Carter over Jake-Sid-Rust? Over any sample size that is meaningful, I say no.
This is not a discussion about what Sullivan will do. If we limited ourselves to that, for the sake of realism, there'd be almost nothing to discuss here, ever. He's completely stuck in his ways, no matter what happens.
This is about what I think should be done, on a case by case basis, depending on the flow of the game. Sullivan coaches every game the same. We saw where that leads to last year.
Which is why you then keep that line in the offensive zone and play the L3/4 guys in the defensive zone.
If you need a goal and L1 and L2 look unlikely to produce one, you use the lines that have more offensive jump on the given night. At least, that's what I'd prefer to be done.
You also boost L3 and L4's minutes if they are outplaying the top-six, to encourage the concept of performance dictating usage. The players need to believe that matters.

This isn't just about goals for or against either. Morale is important. It impacts performance. Playing 80% D-zone start hockey all year wears you down emotionally. We saw this happen last season.
L3 and L4 sometimes need to feel like they have a little more to offer the team than just shutdown hockey.
Players feel better when they're scoring.
It's an intangible, but it's something you gotta pay attention to as a coach, to keep the atmosphere healthy.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
I'm going way out on a limb and picking the guy who is not going to even make it very long in the NHL to get junky deflection goal... Harkins.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens back to back. Caps are not good but the Flames can be hard to beat here. Pens at home and see if they can get on a run here.

Reactions: Andy99

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I vote Smith.

We’re way better than the caps. We’ve got the same kind of team makeup but all our best players are significantly better than theirs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This game's going to be a big test to see how this team performs on back to back nights, as well as how they perform against a team that isn't dogshit.

Also forgot that Noodle Jack-O-Lantern was our backup. We found a guy even smaller than DeSmith to replace our diminutive backup.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
All You need to know, folks…I’d do something else tonight lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad