GDT: GDT Game #III Pens vs Flames 1900hrs EST: The BlindWillyMcHurt Banishment Edition

First goal:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

giphy.gif

vs

elmo-fire.gif

Who:
Pittsburgh Penguins
(1-1-0,
2 points, 5th place Metropolitan Division)

Calgary Flames
(1-0-0,
2 points, 3rd place Pacific Division)

penguins-pittsburgh-penguins.gif

When:
7 p.m. ET

How to Watch:
SN-PIT, SNW

d80b92a554925bc2fa2275438d8b0f0c.gif

Pens’ Path Ahead:
The Penguins have a three-day break before hitting the road for a battle with the Detroit Red Wings Wednesday, then two more days off before heading to St. Louis to face the Blues next Saturday.

Opponent Track:
The Flames opened their season with a 5-3 win over the Winnipeg Jets Wednesday. With just six minutes left in regulation, the Jets tied things up at 3-3, but Elias Lindholm scored on a behind-the-net feed from Andrew Mangiapane (two goals) to put the Flames ahead in the final minutes. Saturday marks the first outing of a five-game road trip for the Calgary team, so they’ll be rested and looking to pick up points against a Pens team on the wrong half of a back-to-back.

Season Series:
The Pens won’t see this team again until March 2, when the Penguins visit Calgary, for a late-night game in Pittsburgh where the puck won’t drop until 10 p.m.

happy-penguin-awareness-day

Last Year:
The Pens first faced the Flames last season in the middle of their early-season seven-game winless skid. Nazem Kadri scored twice, and the Penguins’ only goal was a power-play strike by Evgeni Malkin in a 4-1 loss. Things went better in November, although it wasn’t exactly a dominant victory. The Pens were unable to hold onto an early one-goal lead and the game went to a shootout, where Tristan Jarry stoned Mikael Backlund before Malkin finished things off for a 2-1 win.

Hidden Stat:
Tristan Jarry, who played against the Capitals Friday, might not be getting the start tonight. If he doesn’t, he will preserve his streak of zero regulation losses against the Flames. The netminder has a career record of 4-0-2 with a .951 SV% and 1.59 GAA in six games against Calgary.

@BlindWillyMcHurt the forum has spoken. For the good of the team you cannot watch the game inside.

fomo-lonely.gif

pittsburgh-penguins-pingu.gif

images

Sideline

May 23, 2004
The bottom six is terrible so far. Eller and Acciari seem to be the only guys worth a damn. I guess DOC can push the pace a little with his speed, but otherwise I do not like what I have seen.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
We held the Capitals to four shots in the third period. So we can defend a lead. That's a good thing.
Not that I expect us to have one in this game. Playing a rested team while we're in the second half of a back-to-back has never been good for us.

Reactions: TNT87 and Andy99

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
2nd line has been awesome. First line is good at producing, not so much on defense but last night the 3rd was a good team game.

Bottom six production is still a concern but it’s hard to say that was a surprise.

We held the Capitals to four shots in the third period. So we can defend a lead. That's a good thing.
Not that I expect us to have one in this game. Playing a rested team while we're in the second half of a back-to-back has never been good for us.
Hopefully we can do it consistently against quicker teams. Caps looked slow.

Reactions: Andy99

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
What did I miss that @BlindWillyMcHurt did something that he gets publicly banned in title and thread????? but BWMH is here posting now?! WHAT DID I MISS outside of the pens giving the capitals a good old fashion schlacking

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lol…this would be the perfect night to sit his ass but we had to carry two #8 D men that we’re scratching for some reason lol….if only we could get Z up here to enact revenge on his former team…

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Looking forward to seeing us tonight against a better NHL team with average speed…can we keep it up? The Flames have played really tough against us and Kadri was a killer last year…and it looks like they’re improved this season…hard game on a b2b…hopefully Ned is playing at his rookie form lol

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Looking forward to seeing us tonight against a better NHL team with average speed…can we keep it up? The Flames have played really tough against us and Kadri was a killer last year…and it looks like they’re improved this season…hard game on a b2b…hopefully Ned is playing at his rookie form lol
Capitals game was fun though... most modern day rivalry that still exists. Nothing close to the 2000's era philly-pitt rivalry, that kind of fizzled out to nothing.
Capitals were also less than an inch away from netting a few goals to make it that much more interesting.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
nothing helps athlets like winning. Sometimes a team just klicks and all of a sudden, holy shit, how come we have not been doing this forever, anyways, alot of good stuff last night...our dman can push the play, Letang, EK and even POJ played forward super solid. Our bottom 6 except Eller is still meh, I hated Sully's statement last night (classic) that its OK for fourth line to be caved all the f***ing time, because they collapse and keep everything outside. LOL, thats not recipe for success, not sure if he does that to justify deploying Carter, but these guys are major liability, also DOC is doing nothing these two games, running around in circles, we are wasting good legs of Eller right now, maybe they will click,
Loved EK65's statement about the PP last night...he is cerebral, he is not happy how PP was playing, got some bounces, but did not run super smoothly, imagine when it does, ...our PP may take us to the play offs on its own...
It will be interesting to see how we fare against Flames tonight...still not perfect game last night by any stretch but so much better than anything last year.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Lol…this would be the perfect night to sit his ass but we had to carry two #8 D men that we’re scratching for some reason lol….if only we could get Z up here to enact revenge on his former team…

Truly no reason for someone else not to be tried, especially since Carter isn’t even taking faceoffs.

The fourth line looked like it was a 5 man PK last night, constantly gassed and hemmed in while also looking passive as shit.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Truly no reason for someone else not to be tried, especially since Carter isn’t even taking faceoffs.

The fourth line looked like it was a 5 man PK last night, constantly gassed and hemmed in while also looking passive as shit.
Truthfully, I'm far more concerned about the THIRD line. We need to get meaningful contributions from them regardless of how effective or ineffective the 4th line is. That said I fundamentally disagree with the mind set of being as top heavy as we appear to be. Secondary scoring, special teams and goaltending will tell the tale.

Reactions: Trade and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
nothing helps athlets like winning. Sometimes a team just klicks and all of a sudden, holy shit, how come we have not been doing this forever, anyways, alot of good stuff last night...our dman can push the play, Letang, EK and even POJ played forward super solid. Our bottom 6 except Eller is still meh, I hated Sully's statement last night (classic) that its OK for fourth line to be caved all the f***ing time, because they collapse and keep everything outside. LOL, thats not recipe for success, not sure if he does that to justify deploying Carter, but these guys are major liability, also DOC is doing nothing these two games, running around in circles, we are wasting good legs of Eller right now, maybe they will click,
Loved EK65's statement about the PP last night...he is cerebral, he is not happy how PP was playing, got some bounces, but did not run super smoothly, imagine when it does, ...our PP may take us to the play offs on its own...
It will be interesting to see how we fare against Flames tonight...still not perfect game last night by any stretch but so much better than anything last year.
The defensive structure adjustment to start the second was huge…most of us have been calling for Sullivan to do something…kudos to him but he needs to keep it up against faster teams…the bottom six is as bad as last season 5v5…we only traded out a few better PKers, which is great, but I don’t even see a huge defensive improvement either 5v5

Reactions: BusinessGoose

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Let's be realistic for a second here. The goals have been scored by the powerplay or the top 6. The bottom 6 has not produced much in terms of goals or chances, thus, it is crucial that the top 6 and big guns continue to produce.

Now, looking at the stats and extrapolating out to 82 games played, assuming no injuries, we have:

Malkin: 82GP - 41G 123A 164PTS
Crosby: 82GP - 123G 0A 123PTS
Guentzel: 82GP - 0G 123A 123PTS
Smith: 82GP - 41G
Rust: 82GP - 41G

Letang, Eller, Karlsson, Rakell, and Pettersson all with 41A.

If they can keep that kind of pace, I think we should be ahead of where we were last year. They all need a big game tonight to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad