GDT: GDT Caps v Flaming Flamers 9 pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I think he's too far back this year - 35 to Matthews 43 I think? I am sure Ovie will land around 50 but I think Matthews could get 60 - that team gets laughed at a lot but they have some serious talent / firepower.

36. I dunno, a couple of games where Ovi scores and Matthews doesn't can change the landscape. Still 25 games left?

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I’ve been trying to tell ya that Mantha is good with a capital G. Does so many little things well, has insane hands for a guy that big, and is really tough to take the puck from.

Fell asleep before the third but waking up to the win sure was nice.

And Dowd is playing out of his mind. Best 4th line in hockey.
Sheary is also having his best year so far as a Capital albeit 2 years, he’s an energetic player for sure

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
AJF is definitely staying in the NHL. He won’t clear waivers if reassigned. His play last night was very, very good. It’s no wonder his nickname in Sweden was “The Hunter.” He wins so many battles along the boards and creates chaos on the forecheck.
Feel bad saying, as Hags had improved. But, like many had said, he didn’t justify a $2m plus up over AFJ.

Great win. Keep the train rolling. The additions of VV, Oshie, Mantha, and AFJ have been very welcome.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I wanted 5/6 points on this road trip. Good start.

Including this game, they have a chance to bank some points over their next five (now four). They’re at Edmonton and Vancouver and then home for the Isles followed by a quick trip to Columbus. Vancouver has been playing well but the other teams are in a rut and it’s a good chance for the Caps to establish some momentum and close the gap between them and the other three in the Metro. Hopefully they keep it going tonight.

Reactions: Neil Racki

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Starting to feel good about the forwards but maybe a piece that can push McMichael if he stumbles. I’m afraid Lavi still won’t trust him enough come playoff time. Jarnkrok makes sense then on a line with Sheary / Eller. Not to mention Osh inevitably getting hurt again.

Fehervary also continues to struggle. I think LHD, like a Brett Kulak, that can be had for cheap would be a smart move

Reactions: caps4cup

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
AJF is definitely staying in the NHL. He won’t clear waivers if reassigned. His play last night was very, very good. It’s no wonder his nickname in Sweden was “The Hunter.” He wins so many battles along the boards and creates chaos on the forecheck.
Agreed, he's seen his last AHL game. We're very lucky he had "visa issues" and Buffalo let him come back.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Noticed TVR was a good three minutes below any other D in this game. It's got to be challenging sustaining his play on his off side as pace elevates and he's not the most agile either. Were they to add a Kulak type, even though MacLellan said he more or less wouldn't, it should be TVR sitting. Moving Kempny for a more mobile upgrade that would (or could) play over TVR is wise, esp. if cost is negligible.

I'd hope for more offensive upside than Jarnkrok ideally...maybe Rakell. Barring a headliner addition with more pieces moving I'd wager the best player they can get for WPG's second rounder (pick ~#45) will be their main move. That may require secondary retention.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Kulak and Braun make sense if they were to acquire an LHD. Both are strong defensively and could make sense alongside Carlson. But if they go that route they really should be looking to offload Schultz and slide TVR to the right side.

Orlov-Jensen
Kulak/Braun-Carlson
Fehervary-TVR

Schultz makes way too much and provides nothing offensively to justify his position in the lineup. I’d rather they just go with Orlov running the point on PP2 despite the handedness.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Starting to feel good about the forwards but maybe a piece that can push McMichael if he stumbles. I’m afraid Lavi still won’t trust him enough come playoff time. Jarnkrok makes sense then on a line with Sheary / Eller. Not to mention Osh inevitably getting hurt again.

Fehervary also continues to struggle. I think LHD, like a Brett Kulak, that can be had for cheap would be a smart move

Hes young and been throwing his body around, without looking it up Id guess he leads us in hits. Im guessing hes never gone through a gauntlet like this before.

Wouldnt mind resting him a bit in this last stretch.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish

Hes flying around last night, hes going to score tonight.

FNYe3QuXIBcaw8e

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the Capitals play. I don't care if it was the second of a back to back for the Flames, both games they played were at home so no travel involved.

Looks like we've found our goalie for the remainder of the season and next year. Samsonov can be moved during the summer and the Caps can pick up a veteran to replace him to go along with VV.

Thought it was a complete game by all four lines.

The TDL is two weeks away, but I'm hesitant to disrupt the team that was iced last night. Not sure if any addition would improve the team that much. I'm in a protect the nuts mode at this point as there may be more AJFs at Hershey that are just waiting for their opportunity.

Come the summer, Schultz and Kempny will be gone via UFA. They can move the likes of Samsonov, Eller and Carlson, shedding cap and age along with getting younger and faster.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Yeah you never want to see somebody get hurt, but I have a feeling AFJ is going to jump on this and not look back. He may have played his last Hershey game. Good to see, as we all had hopes going back two years ago, when he got home sick and went home.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the Capitals play. I don't care if it was the second of a back to back for the Flames, both games they played were at home so no travel involved.

Looks like we've found our goalie for the remainder of the season and next year. Samsonov can be moved during the summer and the Caps can pick up a veteran to replace him to go along with VV.

Thought it was a complete game by all four lines.

The TDL is two weeks away, but I'm hesitant to disrupt the team that was iced last night. Not sure if any addition would improve the team that much. I'm in a protect the nuts mode at this point as there may be more AJFs at Hershey that are just waiting for their opportunity.

Come the summer, Schultz and Kempny will be gone via UFA. They can move the likes of Samsonov, Eller and Carlson, shedding cap and age along with getting younger and faster.

I agree with the TDL comment - I'm not sure there is enough out there available as an enough of an upgrade at a price GMBM would be willing to pay.

Schultz and Kempny are definitely coming off the books. I'd be fine with letting Samsonov and Eller go, but I doubt the Caps let Carlson go. For some reason, they think more of him than most fans seem to.

Reactions: Corby78

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just watched the recording. Looked like the 2018 team in a lot of ways.

VV's body control enables him to handle some of those deflections. He doesn't get too far out of the crease most times so he at least has a chance on the redirect. That save at the end of the 2nd with no rebound off a hot deflection...*chef's kiss*

Backstrom can still skate. He even took a defender wide on a net drive.

Mantha Bantha still has sick hands. Some of those backhand saucer passes in the NB spot were just stupid.

The one low point of the night was defensemen either at the point or sometimes getting lost in their own zone. Schultz needs to work on his pinching and decision making. Why play the body on the point wall when you're the last guy back? Several odd-man rushes resulted because of this. There's an ongoing issue here with the D.

I don't expect them to have the same legs tonight vs EDM but can always hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corby78

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Hes young and been throwing his body around, without looking it up Id guess he leads us in hits. Im guessing hes never gone through a gauntlet like this before.

Wouldnt mind resting him a bit in this last stretch.
Fehrevary was pretty good the prior 2 games.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I’m very confused at the main board thread. Am I just completely wrong to think that Wilson accidentally collided with Gaudreau last night? It’s like an echo chamber of angry fans from Calgary and other Metro division teams claiming Wilson did it on purpose. Saying shit like “Wilson’s leg position changes” and “He definitely sees Gaudreau” etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad