GDT: Canada vs Italy 1PM Torino Time, 7 AM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
Toss up between McCabe and Broduer as to who was the worst Canadian today. Difference being i think Broduer had a off game while McCabe is just not good enough to be on the ice other then PP and even then i'd argue the rest of the team is good enough he doesn't need to be there shootring anyways

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
Veinless said:
Iginla-Sakic-Bertuzzi looked great together.
Smyth drew a lot of penalties. Pair him with Draper on a checking/dump-and-cycle line.
I would agree with the first line. Bertuzzi had a great game, and had a nice screen infront of Muzzatti for Iginla's second goal. didn't really notice Sakic out there until later in the game though. Muzzatti made a really nice glove save on Sakic.
with regards to Smyth, as you said, putting him with Draper would be good. maybe add Doan to that line too? just my thought.

Veinless

Aug 23, 2005
OYLer said:
Ryan Smyth is 3rd among Canadian left wingers in goal scoring behind Heatley and Gange and he is perhaps the best puck/goal deflector in the NHL. Personally, I think he should get 1st PP time and play on an offensive line. He has great chemistry with Pronger on the PP.

I did not realize that Smyth was that high up in goal scoring. I agree he does well in front of the net on the PP, but I think Quinn will have Bertuzzi playing that role on the 1st line.

I thnk the 2nd PP will mainly be St. Louis-Vinny-Heatley, with other forwards alternating based on fatigue/quality of play during that game.

And I know, no one wants to be on a line with Draper. :)

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I think a Smyth, Draper, Doan line could go out there every 3rd or 4th shift, play with a pile of energy, knock some guys around, and would pop in a surprising number of timely goals through the tournament.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Frankly, it didn't look like Canada was trying to hard from the parts of the game I saw. Very little physical contact, in fact, the women's game I watched some of yesterday looked about the same in that department.

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
I thought Redden was supposed to be playing with Foote. What did he do to get stuck with McCabe?

My guess is that Redden plays a fairly similar game to Kaberle (not comparing abilities, just styles), and thus was seen as a good fit on Mccabe's flank.

I just got home from classes, and I don't want to read through 14 pages... I saw the first half of the game... was Richards playing any better in the second half?

OT: Anyone watching the luge (sp?) right now? I quote the announcer:

"After that crash the back man looks deaaaa... errr unconscious"

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
Mallard said:
What were the lines today??
these were the even strength line combinations that I saw today.

Forwards:
Draper – Sakic – Iginla
St.Louis – Lecavlier – Heatley
Smyth – Richards – Bertuzzi
Thornton – Nash – Gagne
Doan – Richards – Bertuzzi
Doan – Sakic - Iginla

Defence:
Redden – Foote
Bouwmeester – Regehr
McCabe – Pronger
Bouwmeester - Blake
Blake – Pronger

Big Mama*

WpgBoy84 said:
these were the even strength line combinations that I saw today.

Forwards:
Draper – Sakic – Iginla
St.Louis – Lecavlier – Heatley
Smyth – Richards – Bertuzzi
Thornton – Nash – Gagne
Doan – Richards – Bertuzzi
Doan – Sakic - Iginla

Defence:
Redden – Foote
Bouwmeester – Regehr
McCabe – Pronger
Bouwmeester - Blake
Blake – Pronger

Doan, Draper and Smyth are fighting for 2 positions. McCabe- Pronger together that should be the #1 PP. They need to get acclimitized.

Redden-Foote are the shutdown pair.

Golden Slumbers

Dec 26, 2005
Ottawa
You could see McCabe itching for the one timer when he was out there on the PP, and for once I was cheering for him to rip it, hahaha.

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
Danny__K said:
Toss up between McCabe and Broduer as to who was the worst Canadian today. Difference being i think Broduer had a off game while McCabe is just not good enough to be on the ice other then PP and even then i'd argue the rest of the team is good enough he doesn't need to be there shootring anyways

McCabe. Got way too much ice-time, and his play on the 2nd goal was just stupid. Use him on the PP and that's it. He'll get eatin' alive against the big nations espically the Czechs.

Maybe Quinn is only playing him to keep him happy so he'll re-sign.... Hmmmmmmmm

Big Mama*

Nihilism said:
He'll get eatin' alive against the big nations espically the Czechs.

He played over 60 minutes in back to back games against the New York Czechs Fri and Sat. Always on the ice against Jagr. He scored one even strength goal by banking it in off Belfour from behind the net. Of course Jagr was a monster on the PP.

Maken*

How could they not give Big Bert an assist on the second Iginla goal? He passed it right to Sakic... typical IIHF stuff.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Bertuzz is a very underrated skater, and played a very good game.

I just had my first exam, second one soon. :)

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
IMO add Staal, Spezza, Phaneuf drop Draper, Richards, Mccabe

Nash-Thornton-Bertuzzi
Gagne-Sakic-Iginla
Staal-Spezza-Heatley
St.Louis-Lecavalier-Smyth
Doan

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
Maken said:
How could they not give Big Bert an assist on the second Iginla goal? He passed it right to Sakic... typical IIHF stuff.
I thought they did after. I also heard an announcement over the PA during the broadcast changing the scoring on the goal.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Twi2teD said:

Nash-Thornton-Bertuzzi
Gagne-Sakic-Iginla
Staal-Spezza-Heatley
Doan
Whats the deal with people wanting to change the team after a game where they played not to embarass the other team and i think it was good sportsmanship from their part.

True North

Jan 10, 2006
Vancouver
Twi2teD said:

Nash-Thornton-Bertuzzi
Gagne-Sakic-Iginla
Staal-Spezza-Heatley
Doan

You can't just "drop" players. They have to be legitimately injured before you can add players from the taxi squad.

Maken*

Twi2teD said:

Nash-Thornton-Bertuzzi
Gagne-Sakic-Iginla
Staal-Spezza-Heatley
Doan

Drop Richards?

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Feb 24, 2004
Wow I am so tired....I just had to sit through 4 hours of classes after that game......

Worst Canadian was either Brodeuer(he needs to close his five hole) or Redden(He looked very slow)

McCabe needs to play PP exclusively, maybe a little even strength when people are tired.

Everyone else looked awesome, especially Iginla, St. Louis, Bert and Nash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad