Olympics: GDT Battle for Bronze SWE-SVK

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
There is a German cup and Swiss cup played every year. It's usually Germany, Switzerland, Slovakia and Russia's European B team.

That's good then. They certainly have the right teams and I like the addition of Russia, even with a handicapped team they have enough player material for such tournament.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Slovakia was the 2nd best team in this tournament, they too would have won Russia.
the only games that they lost, were to us; Finland.

Yep and like i said many times. The 2 first games against FIN & SWE, SVK allowed a lot of goals but those were Slovakia's practice matches. Since none of the teams had any practice games, some teams were more ready than the others and Slovakia kept improving all the way to the medal games. For example Finland had a familiar coach and quite a bit of past chemistry in the team, like the UFA line and Mäenalanen-Björninen-Anttila line from 2021 WHC as well.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Just watched the match thanks t the BBC regarding hockey as a minor sport. :rolleyes: Sweden just did not have any heart after Slovakia took the lead. Delighted for Slovakia and the players. A historic achievement and something with the youngsters coming through they can build on for the future. They'll be partying in the streets of Bratislava, Trencin, Nitra, Presov and Kosice. :thumbu:

Reactions: stastny12

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Central Europe should set up their own EHT tournament & EHT season. That would do good for the sport in that are of Europe. The way FIN, CZE, RUS, SWE does it. 4 mini tournaments a year, 3 games in each of those = 12 games total.

The teams should be:
SVK, GER, SUI and maybe Austria or Latvia? Actually don't know about the 4th one, but there needs to be 4.

I would rather see Belarus as the fourth team. Having a tournament in Belarus, Slovakia, Germany and Switzerland, so it promises even matches. Latvia, Denmark, France and probably Austria are also closer in terms of performance, but still further than the first four.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I would rather see Belarus as the fourth team. Having a tournament in Belarus, Slovakia, Germany and Switzerland, so it promises even matches. Latvia, Denmark, France and probably Austria are also closer in terms of performance, but still further than the first four.

Belarus is rather close but they have a crazy president who would find some political angle to abuse that tournament in some way. Players and teams could boycot that. As said in the other post, that Russian B team is a nice addition as a 4th team. Latvia would do just fine as well though, if they can find enough good players in the middle of the season for it.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Ok sure, Sweden doesn't have any depth. That's a reasonable conclusion after his tournament.

Well, I´ve read many Swedish posters claiming that you guys would be the far superior nation from Europe and guess what? These last years shows that's false. Couldn't be more far from the truth. There you go.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Really pleased for Slovakia. This version of Sweden was built to play in shootouts and nothing more.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
I understand the players' reaction but 8 year olds cry when they lose a tournament as well. Hockey in these Olympics was like drinking non alcoholic beer. A poor version of the real thing.

but the thing is for many Swedish players, they wouldn't be nowhere near the final roster with NHL participation. They are not used to win medals unlike top Swedish players so the bronze medal would be a very big achievement in their career

HeartAttack

Feb 16, 2018
but the thing is for many Swedish players, they wouldn't be nowhere near the final roster with NHL participation. They are not used to win medals unlike top Swedish players so the bronze medal would be a very big achievement in their career

this...if anybody is undermining the real value of this game must be troll...dumb troll

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
More importantly, he's going to be 18 by the time the tournament starts, rendering him ineligible. Would have been amusing to see him in the Division 1A of U18 after such a great Olympic tournament though.

Participation in u18s / u20s is based on birth year (and has been at least since I started following hockey 15+ years ago). This year it's 2004 births for u18s and 2002 births for u20. He would not be eligible only if he were born Dec 31st 2003 or earlier.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Congratulations Slovakia! Really deserved, I have been following Slovakian hockeys struggling for long time.

Sweden wasnt that bad in this tournament, they defended well but just lacked scoring.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Congrats Slovakia. You and Denmark have been an absolute joy in this tournament. And you have some future nhlers in this squad for sure.

I hope bronze is just the beginning of a resurgence of hockey in your country. Very well deserved and something to build on.

MadCGN

Dec 28, 2020
That's why I love international Hockey.
Congratulations Slovakia! Cinderella Part Two after Germany winning silver in 2018.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
What is Garpenlöv's position after this tournament and the result? Surely the team will lead in Finland in May?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad