Post-Game Talk: GDT: #7| FLYERS at Pittsburgh |Wed., Oct. 22, 2014

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Coots sure looked good last nite and Read also. The team worked hard from forward out and that's why they looked way better. Play Chicago the same and it might have been different. They have to compete for 60min against evry team not just the Seagulls. I'm gonna try be more patient as I'm sure they'll **** the bed again so go easy on me guys LOL.

MadFerIt95*

great game by#14, I think he's going to be good for 20+ g and about 50 pts this season

this season smells like a year where they don't quite make the playoffs and then don't quite get a good draft pick, rebuilding limbo

With how deep this draft is I don't think that's really a bad thing. We could probably get a top end winger with the 13th pick.

Solefool

Jul 2, 2013
great game by#14, I think he's going to be good for 20+ g and about 50 pts this season

this season smells like a year where they don't quite make the playoffs and then don't quite get a good draft pick, rebuilding limbo

Which would be a major problem if this was the NBA. There's not as much an emphasis to tank in hockey because you can land talent in the mid-to-late picks in the first round.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
One guy that deserves some credit is Nick Shultz. He's not great, but he's done some good things. He's not a dumpster fire.

After catching a few Phantoms games this season, I really think Alt is ready. Would love to see them find a way to dump Grossmann who has been far and away the worst of the bunch. Alt would give them some better pairing flexibility

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Riddle me this: Why is Read able to accept the puck in traffic, have a bit of time to hold it in front of Fleury, and then pull it to his backhand to chip it up and over a sprawling goalie?

If he is capable of doing this in the heat of the moment, then there's no reason for him to skate straight to the net and shoot a stupid wrister on his SO attempts.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Riddle me this: Why is Read able to accept the puck in traffic, have a bit of time to hold it in front of Fleury, and then pull it to his backhand to chip it up and over a sprawling goalie?

If he is capable of doing this in the heat of the moment, then there's no reason for him to skate straight to the net and shoot a stupid wrister on his SO attempts.

the reason is...he chokes...just like the rest of his team in shootouts. his goal last nite though was as good as it gets. i yelled so loud ......

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So much to happy about in this one..

Bellemare with a much-deserved 1st NHL goal. Loved his post-game press conference. This guy was a fantastic pick-up.

Couturier with his best game of the season and one of the better ones in his career.

Umberger explodes in a big way. Goes from invisible to Gordie Howe Hat-Trick.

One take-away I have though..if Nick Schultz isn't playing over Nik Grossmann when Coburn comes back. I'm going to be extremely pissed. He is twice the defensemen Grossmann is.

Solefool

Jul 2, 2013

GREAT point. Both he and Jake have the hands and skill level to be good SO players, but neither seem to willing use them. It's pretty inexplicable.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Schultz is better than schenn and grossman for sure. I hope one of them sits when coburn returns.

Coburn Mac
Streit Grossman
MDZ Schultz

x DeCruze

Dec 7, 2012
GREAT point. Both he and Jake have the hands and skill level to be good SO players, but neither seem to willing use them. It's pretty inexplicable.

I think I remember Jagr saying something like how on a breakaway, it happens so fast, its all instincts. The shootout is different, you have so much time to think what move to do.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Some people, like TSN's Scott Cullen are noticing:

Heroes:

Sean Couturier, C, Philadelphia – Helped the Flyers to a 5-3 win at Pittsburgh, scoring a goal and two assists, matched up for much of the game against Sidney Crosby - who was held without a point, incidentally - and Couturier started most (71.4%) of his even-strength shifts in the defensive zone.

Also, I'm not at all convinced that Schultz is anything more than a #7, even with Schenn and Grossmann's struggles.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
This might be the time where couts gets a 4-5 game point streak going and other fans finally take notice at what we have been saying the while time? Nah, they will still call him overrated

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
This might be the time where couts gets a 4-5 game point streak going and other fans finally take notice at what we have been saying the while time? Nah, they will still call him overrated

If he finishes the season with 40+ points and top 10 in Selke voting he may get some more respect....nah you're probably correct actually :laugh::help:

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
After watching this game it completely mind boggles me how anyone can say the NBC crew isn't biased towards the Penguins. Every goal they score is the greatest goal ever scored. When the Flyers score it's just a sound of "damnit how he hell did this happen?" Seriously it's night and day. Pierre goes screaming about how great whatever Pens goal scorer is. When it's a Flyers they all pretty much sit in silence and just take turns going "yeah look at that. Pens gotta tighten up on D there." It's unbelievable.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
McGuire also made a bizarre comment on one play about how Read would have got smashed if Orpik was out there. Orpik's in ****ing Washington.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
McGuire also made a bizarre comment on one play about how Read would have got smashed if Orpik was out there. Orpik's in ****ing Washington.

I remember that, I was like, WHO CARES. "Yknow if Scott Stevens were out there, they'd have to keep their head up more." Well, he's not out there so your point is totally useless.

Also, the only player the NBC crew praised was Simmonds and McGuire went over the top as usual, calling him the best player off the boards in the league. I love Simmonds, and maybe he's in the top 3, but at least Corey Perry comes to mind as being better

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
I could have sworn that the Pens coach invented hockey with how brilliant he was at keeping Crosby away from Couturier's line. How'd that work out for him?

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
71+ percent DZ starts?

Wow.

Crazy, isn't it? Idk why he doesn't get more offensive opportunities. That's what was supposedly going to happen according to Berube, yet he's continued to use him just like Lavi did. Without looking at any numbers and just going strictly by the eye test, PEB seems to be very good defensively himself. It would be nice to see him and Couts split the d zone starts. Then whenever Laughton gets here, you got 3 centerman who you can depend on for that.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Pierre called Simmonds the most underrated power forward in the game.

Is he, though? I'm pretty positive everyone knows about Simmonds.

I forgot to look for it, did Pierre wear the Pens colored tie he always whips out for Pittsburgh games?

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
i dont think Simmonds is underrated. A lot of fans here on this site at least seem to speak highly of him. i will say though, i remember a poll asking who you'd rather have, Lucic or Simmonds. At the time I picked Lucic but after seeing Simmonds play night in and night out, I think he is the better player. Better skater, better puck handler, Lucic has the size and strength on him but Simmonds is wiry strong. Lucic just seems like a complete meathead too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad