GDT: GDT #57 New York Islanders vs Tampa Bay Lightning | February 24th | 2 PM | F/4-2 L

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I suspect Roy and Lou are on same page behind scenes as far as what needs to change here tbh. I think Lee is gone and they go and try and get two new LW for top two lines with Engvall and Holmstrom fitting at the third and fourth line LW. They need a RW for third line also, these will all be fast players I’d imagine. Now is hard part of finding those player’s.
I’m not so sure. Lou doesn’t gaslight the media, imho. So when Lou said again on Thursday “I believe in this team they just have to play better” I think he means it. I find that very troubling.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I really do, I think writing is on wall for some and greener pastures would be appealing honestly for some of them. You think if Lou approached Lee and said I have deal to send you to Vegas say he wouldn’t waive to go? Maybe I’m wrong but I think he would.

The old core has run it's course, it's time to move on. Horvat should be wearing the C now.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I’m not so sure. Lou doesn’t gaslight the media, imho. So when Lou said again on Thursday “I believe in this team they just have to play better” I think he means it. I find that very troubling.
He means it in that yeah this team if they played better it could make playoffs but I don’t think he’s blind to see there are holes in ship and they are taking on water. I think Roy is really a roll of dice this year to save year but there is a long look going on towards next year.

The old core has run its course, it's time to move on. Horvat should be wearing the C now.
Yeah probably it will be Horvat if Lee isn’t here, Seems like a no brainer.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Lol. Bridgeport gives up 2 in the first few min. At least we are consistent t.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Just finished...thank god for the ability to fast forward. After two, all i could say is it is time to get rid of the aged wood. Throw it on the fire and burn it at all cost. Honestly do not care if we have to waive or buy out. Set up for 2025 season unless something amazing falls into put lap.

Reactions: periferal

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
I really do, I think writing is on wall for some and greener pastures would be appealing honestly for some of them. You think if Lou approached Lee and said I have deal to send you to Vegas say he wouldn’t waive to go? Maybe I’m wrong but I think he would.
I don't know, but, again, even if he would, I don't think you're taking into account the overpays that those contracts represent. What is Lee worth at this point? 2.5, 3 maybe, at best? He's got 22 pts in 56 games and he's a defensive liability. Are we taking back 3 or 4M? What about Palms? Who's paying him 5M? How much of that are we taking back? Or JGP the same? And don't forget, in most cases those NTCs remain in effect with the new team, further devaluing the player. Everyone here thinks there is some magic that is going to happen to unwind this roster. Maybe, but whatever magic happens is going to be expensive in real cap money and assets for a team that doesn't have much to begin with.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I don't know, but, again, even if he would, I don't think you're taking into account the overpays that those contracts represent. What is Lee worth at this point? 2.5, 3 maybe, at best? He's got 22 pts in 56 games and he's a defensive liability. Are we taking back 3 or 4M? What about Palms? Who's paying him 5M? How much of that are we taking back? Or JGP the same? And don't forget, in most cases those NTCs remain in effect with the new team, further devaluing the player. Everyone here thinks there is some magic that is going to happen to unwind this roster. Maybe, but whatever magic happens is going to be expensive in real cap money and assets for a team that doesn't have much to begin with.
Have to sacrifice at least next year. Then take a hit or two.

Do not re-sign anyone on an expiring. Past Dobson -
Offer Riley, look to get rid of Mayfield, there will be takers.
Keep our goalies, Barzal, Bo, Romo,
Keep P&P (unless an average to very good return comes with a move - if they agree to move)

Waive say a guy like Engval. If someone takes him, fine, if not bury him.
Waive Wally. If someone takes him, fine.

If no one wants Lee, Pags, Palms by the end of next year, waive them. Miss anyone?...oh, trade Nelson unless he wishes to sign for an extremely friendly team deal by trade dead line next year.

Fill spots with AHL guys if need be as it can not be much worse, while filling the gaps with quality players.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
If in fact he believes this … he really needs to go but he can’t be that daft ! I believe he’s posturing his team to sell high as he can to other GMs

Did wahlstrom play today? It might be time to give one of the guys in the A a chance.
Can’t understand why they are afraid to lose him!

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Probably only benefit to iskes will be the cap space, I don’t disagree they aren’t getting much back as far as trades. That’s why I think it could be only Lee going either by trade or buyout. They are going to try and get two LW for top two lines, it’s going to be difficult to do that but I think that’s path they take with about 10 or so million to spend. I for sure think one way or another Lee won’t be here next year.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
again

time to rebuild
Do you mean an actual "rebuild"? Because that would mean trading Barzal and Sorokin, and it wouldn't really make sense to keep Dobson and Romanov either for the 7+ years it would take. And of course Horvat would also need to go. I mean, I understand the frustration, and you can say that and people will agree with you, but that's a really drastic thing. Why not keep those players and try a new GM, keep this year's 1st and use it. Trade Nelson and get another 1st plus. Make a few other smart moves and the team could compete in a much shorter time.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Have to sacrifice at least next year. Then take a hit or two.

Do not re-sign anyone on an expiring. Past Dobson -
Offer Riley, look to get rid of Mayfield, there will be takers.
Keep our goalies, Barzal, Bo, Romo,
Keep P&P (unless an average to very good return comes with a move - if they agree to move)

Waive say a guy like Engval. If someone takes him, fine, if not bury him.
Waive Wally. If someone takes him, fine.

If no one wants Lee, Pags, Palms by the end of next year, waive them. Miss anyone?...oh, trade Nelson unless he wishes to sign for an extremely friendly team deal by trade dead line next year.

Fill spots with AHL guys if need be as it can not be much worse, while filling the gaps with quality players.
Wow! That's certainly a way to do it, I guess.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Do you mean an actual "rebuild"? Because that would mean trading Barzal and Sorokin, and it wouldn't really make sense to keep Dobson and Romanov either for the 7+ years it would take. And of course Horvat would also need to go. I mean, I understand the frustration, and you can say that and people will agree with you, but that's a really drastic thing. Why not keep those players and try a new GM, keep this year's 1st and use it. Trade Nelson and get another 1st plus. Make a few other smart moves and the team could compete in a much shorter time.

I don't want to rebuild. I want to win the Cup this year.

I just haven't heard a plausible solution from literally anyone on these boards on how this team can get back to Cup contention without rebuilding. To wit:
  • The only guys on this team with any meaningful value are Horvat, Sorokin, Barzal, Dobson, Varlamov, and Nelson.
  • All the other big contracts would require giving up valubale assets to get rid of.
  • The team is old.
  • There is no elite talent outside of Dobson (maybe Sorokin if he gets back on track).
  • The organization has no additional picks.
  • They're bad, but not bad enough to draft where you usually can draft elite talent...
  • ...When their GM doesn't give away 1st round picks for middling talent.
  • There's basically no cap space to add a top player next season (much less 2).
  • And there's literally zero farm system.

...But several here keep saying that "Sorokin, Barzal, Dobson, and Horvat is an excellent core"...Totally ignoring the fact that with those guys the Isles are bottom 10 in win %, goals scored, goals against, goal differential, and going to miss the playoffs in a league where half the league makes it.

It may be ugly on these boards, but I promise the roster/farm system is so much uglier...And yet we have a GM who cannot/refuses to stop investing futures into this Titanic of a roster he's created.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torrey Redux

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
I don't want to rebuild. I want to win the Cup this year.

I just haven't heard a plausible solution from literally anyone on these boards on how this team can get back to Cup contention without rebuilding. To wit:
  • The only guys on this team with any meaningful value are Horvat, Sorokin, Barzal, Dobson, Varlamov, and Nelson.
  • All the other big contracts would require giving up valubale assets to get rid of.
  • The team is old.
  • There is no elite talent outside of Dobson.
  • The organization has no additional picks.
  • They're bad, but not bad enough to draft where you usually can draft elite talent...
  • ...When their GM doesn't give away 1st round picks for middling talent.
  • There's basically no cap space to add a top player next season (much less 2).
  • And there's literally zero farm system.

...But several here keep saying that "Sorokin, Barzal, Dobson, and Horvat is an excellent core"...Totally ignoring the fact that with those guys the Isles are bottom 10 in win %, goals scored, goals against, goal differential, and going to miss the playoffs in a league where half the league makes it.

It may be ugly on these boards, but I promise the roster/farm system is so much uglier...And yet we have a GM who cannot/refuses to stop investing futures into this Titanic of a roster he's created.
Thanks for writing all that so I didn't have to. I wouldn't have done it as well. My only quibble is that you used the word "literally" to describe our farm system as being non-existent and I hate when people say "literally" when the mean "virtually". There is an existing farm system and there may even be a serviceable player or two in it but that would be the absolute high water mark as currently constructed.

Finally, the irrational connection to certain players as untouchable is ridiculous. Everyone should be available all the time if they can be swapped for someone better or a better fit. Remember, as our fearless leader has said so many times, "it's not about the name on the back of the sweater, it's about the crest on the front". I guarantee that you would fall in love with any group of players, regardless of their names, if they perform at an elite level, just as you would soon forget those who came before but didn't.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Thanks for writing all that so I didn't have to. I wouldn't have done it as well. My only quibble is that you used the word "literally" to describe our farm system as being non-existent and I hate when people say "literally" when the mean "virtually". There is an existing farm system and there may even be a serviceable player or two in it but that would be the absolute high water mark as currently constructed.

Thank you.

And I did mean "literally" in regards to our farm system. Obviously there are players there, but *literally* none of them are going to move the needle towards getting this team near Cup contention again.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I think Lee can be moved to a team with speed as he could be very productive player in front of the net on PP but play 3rd line with 2 speedy linemates
If a team wants to play down low and shoot the puck at the net, Lee is a guy for you. The isles just don’t do that anymore - look at today, he scored on a nice pass from Barzal that’s basic 101 hockey, yet most of the time these players are trying to act like a USSR squad.

Beau was inconsistent as heck, but he played down low too. Look at those Trotz games and the Isles scored a lot down low.

Now, it’s mister fancy pants trying to skate in from Montauk and try to make the perfect play. None of this crop plays down low. Nelson is a perimeter player. Horvat gets down there, but he needs to get further back to work effectively with Barzal.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
If you think they will trade any of those, then GTFO. They will need to make a new core. It has to suck for Bo but the islanders foundation has been so shaky as of late.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
That just about kills any minimal hope I had left of them sneaking in. Would like to see the tiny Russian kid called up after the deadline, see what he’s got. Tough year for the Isles/Jets fandom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad