GDT: GDT #57 New York Islanders vs Tampa Bay Lightning | February 24th | 2 PM | F/4-2 L

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Three of those fives have like no value or no meaningful value. We need bodies here so just keep Aho and Bortuzzo around.

Nelson for 1st round pick +
Clutterbuck for a 3rd round pick
Palms for a 2nd round pick +

Going into the draft with likely a top-10 pick, an additional 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick. Not a bad start on a rebuild.

Then start considering bigger trades like Pulock, Pelech, Sorokin and Barzal in the summer.
24 draft isn’t great, I’d seek 25 picks tbh and see if you can use potential lottery pick to see if you can replace players your going to trade away.

barz2

Jul 1, 2023
Not that this will lead us to the promised land, but MacLean for Martin right now, seems like a no-brainer

Roy: "lt seemed like playoff hockey"--- ummmmm.....

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Roy in the post game press conference:

Question: Mayfield with a lower body injury listed as day to day. What can tell us about that?

Roy: You do a better job than I do.

He then moves on to the next question.

:oops:

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I went to the PIT debacle, Stadium Series, and today. As a quarter season holder the games I've gone to have resulted in a 2-4-3 record now. Kiss my ass on a renewal next season Ledecky and Malkin. I'll see u all next season for more pain.

Last edited:

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016

Question: Mayfield with a lower body injury listed as day to day. What can tell us about that?

Did something get lost in translation there? I’m not sure I even understand what he’s trying to say

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
cuz they got inspired by some fluky Power Plays and had a 6X4 advantage, 5X5 or even 5X4 the Lightning are just superior
I don't think the Lightning are any better than the Isles with one major exception, that being Kucherov. Other than that, their defense is among the worst in the league, their world class goalie has been as bad or worse than our world class goalie and 5x5 they're extremely average. They are where they are in the standings because of their PP and #86 but they're not scaring anyone anymore. Which means of course that neither are we, only more so. Or should that be less so?

Last edited:

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Not that this will lead us to the promised land, but MacLean for Martin right now, seems like a no-brainer

He made point about defensive play and statistics say they’ve gotten better but still just cannot kill a penalty and be able to avoid these meltdowns where they give up multiple goals in a short period. He talks like a coach who is evaluating who fits and who doesn’t want he wants tbh.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I really dont understand how you can show that kind of energy for the last 10 minutes and have nothing for the first 50. When will this team learn that you have to show up for the whole game.
Pretty easy. You went from a collective mentally and physically tough team, that coach is gone, some players have moved on, some are older…and the 26 and under crowd looks mentally weak to play consistently an entire game. Just enough spurts and points to mask the weaknesses resulting in losses (not wins), but hey, if you look at the individual stats, they are awesome baby!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Well, the last 7 minutes was desperation hockey.

Roy knows he doesn't have the players to play his style for 60 minutes every game. No depth to bench someone for poor play. It's difficult for him to shake up the country club.

Reactions: barz2

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
Well, the last 7 minutes was desperation hockey.

Roy knows he doesn't have the players to play his style for 60 minutes every game. No depth to bench someone for poor play. It's difficult for him to shake up the country club.
Not much Roy can do about it with so many veteran players with NTCs so maybe his frustration will force him to morph back into his former self and he'll march right into Lou's office and give him hell about it. Well, we can dream anyway......

Reactions: MJF

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Not much Roy can do about it with so many veteran players with NTCs so maybe his frustration will force him to morph back into his former self and he'll march right into Lou's office and give him hell about it. Well, we can dream anyway......
I suspect Roy and Lou are on same page behind scenes as far as what needs to change here tbh. I think Lee is gone and they go and try and get two new LW for top two lines with Engvall and Holmstrom fitting at the third and fourth line LW. They need a RW for third line also, these will all be fast players I’d imagine. Now is hard part of finding those player’s.

Reactions: Lek

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Did something get lost in translation there? I’m not sure I even understand what he’s trying to say
The translation is: Mayfield is playing like crap and I’m sending him a message by sitting him. I can’t tell you the truth or the team and I will be fined or worse.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
all I can hope is that Roy knows some of these guys won’t be here next year. No point in ripping them if they aren’t even in the plans.
Im praying this is the case.

Martin played 4:30 and had 4 PIMS. WOOF!

I was referring to last season where if the Pens beat CHI in game 82 they’re in and we’re out.
Rempe is his idol

Palmieri in the postgame saying the team can’t win being carried by 5 guys. At least he’s self aware
Let’s guess the 5? Horvat Barzal Dobson Nelson and Romanov

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
I suspect Roy and Lou are on same page behind scenes as far as what needs to change here tbh. I think Lee is gone and they go and try and get two new LW for top two lines with Engvall and Holmstrom fitting at the third and fourth line LW. They need a RW for third line also, these will all be fast players I’d imagine. Now is hard part of finding those player’s.
I don't know what you base that on but Lou put this team together, or if some want to quibble with that characterization, he kept them together. So, what, now he has seen the error of his ways? I don't have any confidence that Lou a) sees the extent of the problems and b) can do anything about it that won't be outrageously expensive. He's made it virtually impossible for himself to break up this roster without buyouts and taking back salary, that is, if he can convince any of these guys to waive their NTCs in the first place.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
If Lee can be moved, great. If not, take Martins spot next year.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I have a feeling Lambert’s favorite song is from Shaggy. ‘Wasn’t me.’

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I don't know what you base that on but Lou put this team together, or if some want to quibble with that characterization, he kept them together. So, what, now he has seen the error of his ways? I don't have any confidence that Lou a) sees the extent of the problems and b) can do anything about it that won't be outrageously expensive. He's made it virtually impossible for himself to break up this roster without buyouts and taking back salary, that is, if he can convince any of these guys to waive their NTCs in the first place.
I see Roy as coach as Lou looking at taking this team younger tbh. Who cares about the NTC or NMC really. You buyout Lee if he won’t wave to go somewhere else. Martin and Clutterbuck are UFA and gone, you can trade Pageau, Nelson, Palmieri or one of them or whatever. They will waive to go somewhere to try and win I’d bet.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Please get this man a better roster. Love Roy lol. Hes right

IMG_5373.jpeg

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
I see Roy as coach as Lou looking at taking this team younger tbh. Who cares about the NTC or NMC really. You buyout Lee if he won’t wave to go somewhere else. Martin and Clutterbuck are UFA and gone, you can trade Pageau, Nelson, Palmieri or one of them or whatever. They will waive to go somewhere to try and win I’d bet.
Would you? I guess that depends on whether you buy into the "country club" theory or not? I don't necessarily but they all sure do seem to love the Island. Not to mention the fact that none them, with the possible exception of Nelson, represent what you would call bargains based on their contracts.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Would you? I guess that depends on whether you buy into the "country club" theory or not? I don't necessarily but they all sure do seem to love the Island. Not to mention the fact that none them, with the possible exception of Nelson, represent what you would call bargains based on their contracts.
I really do, I think writing is on wall for some and greener pastures would be appealing honestly for some of them. You think if Lou approached Lee and said I have deal to send you to Vegas say he wouldn’t waive to go? Maybe I’m wrong but I think he would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad