GDT: GDT #57 New York Islanders vs Tampa Bay Lightning | February 24th | 2 PM | F/4-2 L

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Well, now we know it wasn't really the coaching that was the problem this year.

I only hope to God that Lou and the brass realises that they aren't reaching the playoffs this year, and plan accordingly. Next year they will be older, slower and worse, so maybe we're in line for a top 5 pick again.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
It was over a week ago. The Calgary game did me in.
Was the Sharks game for me and the outdoor game was the icing.

coming home from work yesterday on the LIRR we stopped at UBS about
330-340 or so. The train let on a good amount of fans all geared up making a run for the exit when it was a 2pm start . Big Yukk

Reactions: BelovedIsles

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
5v5 against a team's number one goalie we don't do much. Brock had 30 even strength goals last year. Don't think he's getting there this year and no one else will get close. Basically a one man even strength show for a middle six isn't good.

Two critical games against a leaky big cat and a Binnington prone to meltdowns and a big fat 5v5 zero.

Was the Sharks game for me and the outdoor game was the icing.

coming home from work yesterday on the LIRR we stopped at UBS about
330-340 or so. The train let on a good amount of fans all geared up making a run for the exit when it was a 2pm start . Big Yukk
Can't believe they lasted that long. Game was over at 2-0.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
If in fact he believes this … he really needs to go but he can’t be that daft ! I believe he’s posturing his team to sell high as he can to other GMs
Of course he believes it, but even if he doesn't and somehow your crazy theory has some validity, Chiarelli left EDM five years ago and Kekalainen just got fired in CLB. There are no GMs left who would be stupid enough to allow Lou to sandbag them like that. Except for Lou himself, that is. He's been sandbagging himself into believing in this teams greatness for six years now.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If you think they will trade any of those, then GTFO. They will need to make a new core. It has to suck for Bo but the islanders foundation has been so shaky as of late.
I don't really understand your post. If you're saying it's unrealistic to think that they would trade Barzal, Sorokin, Horvat, etc., I thought we were talking about what they should do. And if they do an actual rebuild, then yes, they will need to trade some or all of those guys.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't want to rebuild. I want to win the Cup this year.

I just haven't heard a plausible solution from literally anyone on these boards on how this team can get back to Cup contention without rebuilding. To wit:
  • The only guys on this team with any meaningful value are Horvat, Sorokin, Barzal, Dobson, Varlamov, and Nelson.
  • All the other big contracts would require giving up valubale assets to get rid of.
  • The team is old.
  • There is no elite talent outside of Dobson (maybe Sorokin if he gets back on track).
  • The organization has no additional picks.
  • They're bad, but not bad enough to draft where you usually can draft elite talent...
  • ...When their GM doesn't give away 1st round picks for middling talent.
  • There's basically no cap space to add a top player next season (much less 2).
  • And there's literally zero farm system.

...But several here keep saying that "Sorokin, Barzal, Dobson, and Horvat is an excellent core"...Totally ignoring the fact that with those guys the Isles are bottom 10 in win %, goals scored, goals against, goal differential, and going to miss the playoffs in a league where half the league makes it.

It may be ugly on these boards, but I promise the roster/farm system is so much uglier...And yet we have a GM who cannot/refuses to stop investing futures into this Titanic of a roster he's created.
I don't see how a tear down rebuild has any greater chance of success than trying to re-tool. They have most of their draft picks moving forward, so if they keep and use all of those and try to get some extras they can restock the pipeline. Let the vet contracts expire, or better yet see if you can get anything for them before they do (eg., dangle Clutterbuck and see if you can get a 3rd or a 4th at the TDL this year). Maybe try to get creative in trading away bad contracts for other bad contracts (Chapin's suggestion of Lee+Mayfield for Jones was a creative and somewhat plausible idea, as an example). And more guys than you listed have value. Romanov for sure. Pulock would net a good return. But I guess it depends on what you consider a "meaningful return" - if you're hung up on top 10 picks, then sure, sell everybody and go into tank mode for several years and hopefully you have better luck than BUF, NJD, etc.. Just make sure to get a goalie and don't spend assets and cap space on guys like Hamilton and Meier. ;)

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I don't really understand your post. If you're saying it's unrealistic to think that they would trade Barzal, Sorokin, Horvat, etc., I thought we were talking about what they should do. And if they do an actual rebuild, then yes, they will need to trade some or all of those guys.
You should, ideally, trade out guys who are supplemental as of now, or still hold maximum value. I would be fine trading away Nelson if the return is favorable. BTW, I think Boston could use Brock Nelson. Same for Carolina. If you want to deal with the devil, Colorado also. The islanders MUST find value. They must replenish the farm system by any means.

What I mean is that you do not tear down the structure, you build around those core parts with new pieces. Horvat, Sorokin, Barzal, Dobson, Romanov, and i'd even argue Pulock are all safe. Everyone else is fair game. Its also time to add a new bottom 6. Give me more speed. The islanders could really use a Janmark or Trenin or anyone who can play gritty and fast. No more of the 4th line with Martin and C-buck. Its also time to beef back the third line

Last edited:

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
People still defending him is even more laughable.
defending him for the great defense that is being played in front of him? for the 30 plus shots he gets a game? for all the times he had to make an amazing save because of defensive breakdowns? for all the times the team struggles to get the puck out of the zone?

you have 2 goalies who have been very effecient just recently the past few years and all of sudden it's a goalie issue? but not a team or defensive issue?

I agree he hasn't played his best and lets in a softie once in a while but you know what if the team played better defense that one softie every few games wouldn't matter. This team has blown how many leads? I am sure all of that is on Sorokin though.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I agree he hasn't played his best and lets in a softie once in a while but you know what if the team played better defense that one softie every few games wouldn't matter. This team has blown how many leads? I am sure all of that is on Sorokin though.
I will say that Ilya is to blame for both bad goals, but the defensive awareness is abysmal. There are good things with Ilya, and there are bad. This is Ilya's "down" year and we are all panicking. Problem ultimately just lies between the terrible PK and terrible structure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad