GDT: GDT #54 New York Islanders vs New York Rangers | February 18th | 3 PM | F/6-5 OTL

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
First, before the majority of people here jump in to argue, the team did everything wrong in the last 5 minutes. Literally 10 different things had to go wrong and they all did. But I am actually going to defend the team here this time. The Isles controlled that game for nearly 55 minutes. They outplayed, outchanced, outshot and outscored one of the best teams in the league that had won six games in a row. And then the refs decided to step in and change the outcome of a game that the Isles had earned for 55 minutes. Up until that point it had been called an even game and the Isles had dictated play. You could argue one, MAYBE two of those calls could be made, but to make three straight calls against us in the last 8 minutes of the game completely shifted the momentum, it meant our top players basically were on the bench for the last half of the third period and the same guys had to be out there trying to kill penalties one after another.
With that said Mayfield needs to be sat after that performance.

Lastly, it just made the day even worse to of course see Rags fans who didnt have a peep to say for most of the game acting like they won the Cup after being down the entire game and having the refs hand them a win.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Now the dust has settled, it's time to come to grips with the fact that Lambert wasn't the problem. The team is. The players are, and there's only so much a coach can do to change that, at least in such a short time. But then again, playing Mayfield at crucial times in a game, has proven time and again to be a bad decision, and that's on the coach.

Right before he took the first penalty, it was Pageau who failed to clear the puck when he had the opportunity, and thus led to the penalty and goal. It's these little things this team keeps on doing to shoot themselves in the foot. No empty net goals all season speaks volumes and it's not coincidence. They simply haven't got the players or the mindset to be effective at the death.

Last night was one of the worst chokejobs in recent Islanders history and there should be repercussions for those responsible. Mayfield should go to the pressbox, Lou should be fired (but won't) and a retool should begin at the deadline. It's possible but until ownership understands the mess this club is in, in terms of personnel and the contracts, I have no hope of any change. But the main thing now is realising that they will not reach the playoffs this year. The same mistakes repeated again and again will not go away for the remainder of the season, and as such it's better to keep losing so Lou is forced to sell instead of buying at the deadline, thus damaging the future of this franchise even more.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Now the dust has settled, it's time to come to grips with the fact that Lambert wasn't the problem. The team is. The players are...
NO......Lambert was a problem and Roy has shown that in a very short time. Of course there is more to it and that is the players, but Satan is right. They played a solid game deserving of the win for the first 90% of the game and then...

Still say an example has to be made of some one....a sacrifice as you will to the hockey gods. A demotion?, despite the possible loss to another team? or a trade even if return is little?, lopsided...something.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Dumb guys do dumb things. Mayfield two tripping penalties and a failed clear. Barzal hooking and unfortunately Dobson sauce. The last one is fixable.

Why do we go no defense in the OT?

Was it one 1 5v5 goal?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Last night was one of the worst chokejobs in recent Islanders history and there should be repercussions for those responsible. Mayfield should go to the pressbox, Lou should be fired (but won't) and a retool should begin at the deadline. It's possible but until ownership understands the mess this club is in, in terms of personnel and the contracts, I have no hope of any change. But the main thing now is realising that they will not reach the playoffs this year. The same mistakes repeated again and again will not go away for the remainder of the season, and as such it's better to keep losing so Lou is forced to sell instead of buying at the deadline, thus damaging the future of this franchise even more.
and what killed this team?

A bad PK, terrible penalties, and lazy lazy lazy play in the third. Rangers fans can boast all they want but they beat the worst PK in the NHL yet again. Its just tiresome. but repeating the mistakes is useless when grandpa isn't gonna do a thing. they have the least regulation wins in the NHL, zero empty net goals, almost way too many power play goals given up to tie (or give a team the lead) this season. Its actually baffling how bad this teams PK has been. Hell theyve avoided more embarrassing games like the Ducks where Holmstrom had a super lucky snipe. Just terrible.

Last edited:

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
First, before the majority of people here jump in to argue, the team did everything wrong in the last 5 minutes. Literally 10 different things had to go wrong and they all did. But I am actually going to defend the team here this time. The Isles controlled that game for nearly 55 minutes. They outplayed, outchanced, outshot and outscored one of the best teams in the league that had won six games in a row. And then the refs decided to step in and change the outcome of a game that the Isles had earned for 55 minutes. Up until that point it had been called an even game and the Isles had dictated play. You could argue one, MAYBE two of those calls could be made, but to make three straight calls against us in the last 8 minutes of the game completely shifted the momentum, it meant our top players basically were on the bench for the last half of the third period and the same guys had to be out there trying to kill penalties one after another.
With that said Mayfield needs to be sat after that performance.

Lastly, it just made the day even worse to of course see Rags fans who didnt have a peep to say for most of the game acting like they won the Cup after being down the entire game and having the refs hand them a win.

Yea but i mean. Maybe kill a damn penalty??

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Too satisfied....
No, he's not. Look at his clenched hands. He's pretty pissed off (if you see the video of him walking off to the dressing room you could see he was angry there too). I think he felt hosed but didn't want to a) give an excuse and b) pay a fine. This was a showcase event for the NHL; I'd bet if it was a normal game, he gives a more pointed answer on that. Interesting that during the French question his hands were more relaxed.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
While I like him overall and some of the things he has done so far as coach, I actually did expect Roy to at least a bit more fiery. I mean at this point I think Lambert and Trotz had shown anger towards the refs more than he has. The Isles as a group always seem to be at their best in the past when there is an "us vs. the world" mentality. Roy should have went in there after the game and said I liked the team's game, we played well for 55 minutes and earned a multi goal lead and then the refs decided to get involved in the game and change the outcome. That is what he should have said.

19 Straight

Jan 25, 2006
New Jersey
How does he give them any credit. I'm speaking of our team. Please Roy, don't start saying and sounds like our shithead captain...Please.

THIS....What the Hell Roy.....How about kicking some ass and calling out these guys in the media. That's what they need. They need to be embarrassed in the media by you!!!
Getting angry at press conferences solves nothing. It's a show. It's what he says to the team and does with the lineup and in practice that matters. An angry coach in a four minute press conference only makes some fans feel better.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Kudos to Lavy for realizing his team was never down and out bc it’s pretty obvious the Isles would cave and they stop playing when they get a lead.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Getting angry at press conferences solves nothing. It's a show. It's what he says to the team and does with the lineup and in practice that matters. An angry coach in a four minute press conference only makes some fans feel better.
Press conferences are a total waste of time. Players with the same cliches, and coaches basically doing the same. I guess these conferences make the fans feel more involved but they’re actually insulting our intelligence.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Yeah, that GM was so smart, he traded away first rounders for crappy players only to ever win one round of hockey with several elite players. Then, he went to another team and continued his train wreck.

Toronto traded Engvall bc they needed the roster space.
Would still love to know what you think of our 7 million dollar captain. You blame Barzal every chance you get but ignore 14/15 players on the roster that are truly overpaid and bring little above a replacement level AHL player.

So your happy with Engvall for 7 years when he has 7 goals in over a half season on the 2nd line?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Would still love to know what you think of our 7 million dollar captain. You blame Barzal every chance you get but ignore 14/15 players on the roster that are truly overpaid and bring little above a replacement level AHL player.

So your happy with Engvall for 7 years when he has 7 goals in over a half season on the 2nd line?
Lee’s contract was never going to age well when it was signed. That was known. The game getting faster only accelerated that.

However, the team has moved away from his strengths - playing down low, in favor of fancy perimeter play. That’s a design problem. It can be fixed, but so far that’s not the plan apparently.

On him being captain, no one knows enough. But better to move from him vs Marleauing the guy.

However, I do find it interesting that two players are point a gamers, one a return to PPG since his ROY and the Isles are highly likely going to miss the playoffs. But, those individual accomplishments get everyone excited.

Some games Barzal stays hot an entire game, there’s a bunch of others he blows his load on a goal or play and he’s ineffective the rest, and there’s a littany he’s just a ghost. But he’s a PPG player and he’s exciting, the rest of the team sucks. Where did he go yesterday after the team was up 4-1?

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Lee’s contract was never going to age well when it was signed. That was known. The game getting faster only accelerated that.

However, the team has moved away from his strengths - playing down low, in favor of fancy perimeter play. That’s a design problem. It can be fixed, but so far that’s not the plan apparently.

On him being captain, no one knows enough. But better to move from him vs Marleauing the guy.

However, I do find it interesting that two players are point a gamers, one a return to PPG since his ROY and the Isles are highly likely going to miss the playoffs. But, those individual accomplishments get everyone excited.
So you make excuses for Lees poor play and being overpaid.

Barzal has his warts like any player but he is out on the ice for around 20 minutes a game. His +/- is even and he is a positive on the PP and is not involved with the horrible PK. You hatred for Barzal is personal, it is not backed up in facts.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
So you make excuses for Lees poor play and being overpaid.

Barzal has his worts like any player but he is out on the ice for around 20 minutes a game. His +/- is even and he is a positive on the PP and is not involved with the horrible PK. You hatred for Barzal is personal, it is not backed up in facts.
Don’t hate him, he’s talented, he’s just not a needle mover for his price tag, he doesn’t make players better around him, that’s for darn sure. He’s a glorified Kovalev.

Lee is a ‘0’ in +/- so. While Lee is declining, if used correctly he can be effective, but again, this team wants to play a perimeter game. I wonder why that is?

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Don’t hate him, he’s talented, he’s just not a needle mover for his price tag, he doesn’t make players better around him, that’s for darn sure. He’s a glorified Kovalev.

Lee is a ‘0’ in +/- so. While Lee is declining, if used correctly he can be effective, but again, this team wants to play a perimeter game. I wonder why that is?
I agree Barzal is not a needle mover but how many needle movers are in the league? 15-20? Barzal is one of the few guys with a market level contract on this team.

Lee is also even but 21 points for 7 million simply does not cut it. Him being replaced by Palms on PP1 has not helped his totals

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

Lee sucks so bad. He isn’t effective. His best ability is being a net front guy, and he isn’t even great at that anymore. I would take Barzal at 14 million over Lee at 7.

Barzal hasn’t helped Horvat? The guy that had what 7 goals in 35 or so games last year when Barzal was out, a career 50-60 point player is now closer to a 70-80 point player. Exactly what players has Barzal played with that were decent top 6 forwards? You can’t expect anyone to make the players he has played with better. Lou has failed over and over again to find top 6 wingers. But yes tell us again how Barzal who is 21st in the league in scoring (tied with Aho and Point) isn’t worth 9 million a year.

I agree Barzal is not a needle mover but how many needle movers are in the league? 15-20? Barzal is one of the few guys with a market level contract on this team.

Lee is also even but 21 points for 7 million simply does not cut it. Him being replaced by Palms on PP1 has not helped his totals

A top 30 center isn’t a needle mover? If you had 2 more Barzals on this team we would be sitting in a playoff spot quite easily. Dobson, Barzal, Horvat and Sorokin are all ‘needle’ movers. The rest of the roster is the problem. We need more of these types of guys.

Reactions: MattMartin

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
When there's 6 or 7 minutes left of a game being up two goals, you have ONE job and that is staying out of the box. The simple fact that Mayfield ended up in the box twice speaks volumes about how badly the mental state of this team is. Even at 4-1 you could feel the insecurity and the Rags always looked like coming back despite us outplaying them for 55 minutes. It's simply not sustainable anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad