GDT: GDT #54 New York Islanders vs New York Rangers | February 18th | 3 PM | F/6-5 OTL

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Lee sucks so bad. He isn’t effective. His best ability is being a net front guy, and he isn’t even great at that anymore. I would take Barzal at 14 million over Lee at 7.

Barzal hasn’t helped Horvat? The guy that had what 7 goals in 35 or so games last year when Barzal was out, a career 50-60 point player is now closer to a 70-80 point player. Exactly what players has Barzal played with that were decent top 6 forwards? You can’t expect anyone to make the players he has played with better. Lou has failed over and over again to find top 6 wingers. But yes tell us again how Barzal who is 21st in the league in scoring (tied with Aho and Point) isn’t worth 9 million a year.

A top 30 center isn’t a needle mover? If you had 2 more Barzals on this team we would be sitting in a playoff spot quite easily. Dobson, Barzal, Horvat and Sorokin are all ‘needle’ movers. The rest of the roster is the problem. We need more of these types of guys.
They would be passing to themselves and shoot the puck once every 100 passes, so, no, that wouldn’t help.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
They would be passing to themselves and shoot the puck once every 100 passes, so, no, that wouldn’t help.

164 shots good enough to be tied with Mcdavid and 33rd in the league. Barzal is absolutely not the problem with this team. He is over a PPG playing with Horvat, give him another top line forward and he is a 100 point player. Instead he has f***ing useless Lee.

Lee, Palmieri, Engvall, Pageau, Clutterbuck, Cizikas, Marting, and Mayfield are the biggest problems with this team. Combined they eat up a ton of cap space and give minimal value back.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Do you expect any less from Rags fans? I kid you not yesterday there was a group of them sitting behind me and a couple of them were like "who is this brazal guy (mispronouncing Barzy's name)," "is he any good, been on the team long?" I was hard rolling my eyes for like 10 minutes. And they knew everything about all the Rags new players in the lineup and who was brought up for the AHL so these were not non-hockey fans just dragged to the event.
I am pretty sure most of us could name and discuss just about any Rangers player, let alone their stars. But these guys have never heard of nor know anything about our guy who was just in the all-star game and is on pace for a 90 point season. Just morons.

According to that poster all they have is horvat so theres a chance he never heard of barzal either.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Would still love to know what you think of our 7 million dollar captain. You blame Barzal every chance you get but ignore 14/15 players on the roster that are truly overpaid and bring little above a replacement level AHL player.

So your happy with Engvall for 7 years when he has 7 goals in over a half season on the 2nd line?
The fact that trotz made him the captain shows how weak the roster was and is.

I would have made Zeke the captain. He may not have had typical captain numbers but he has fire and represents Islanders hockey. We don’t need an under achieving nice guy with the C.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Lee sucks so bad. He isn’t effective. His best ability is being a net front guy, and he isn’t even great at that anymore. I would take Barzal at 14 million over Lee at 7.

Barzal hasn’t helped Horvat? The guy that had what 7 goals in 35 or so games last year when Barzal was out, a career 50-60 point player is now closer to a 70-80 point player. Exactly what players has Barzal played with that were decent top 6 forwards? You can’t expect anyone to make the players he has played with better. Lou has failed over and over again to find top 6 wingers. But yes tell us again how Barzal who is 21st in the league in scoring (tied with Aho and Point) isn’t worth 9 million a year.

A top 30 center isn’t a needle mover? If you had 2 more Barzals on this team we would be sitting in a playoff spot quite easily. Dobson, Barzal, Horvat and Sorokin are all ‘needle’ movers. The rest of the roster is the problem. We need more of these types of guys.
Agree with you that Lee sucks. We should not have to tailor playing time or playing style to an over the hill player.

It depends on the definition of “ needle mover”. Barzal is a great player and has made Horvat and Lee into better players, does Throttle remember how bad Lee was on the 3rd line when Barzal didn’t carry him. For me “needle mover” is a top 10/15 player in the league but arguing over a made up term won’t get us far

The fact that trotz made him the captain shows how weak the roster was and is.

I would have made Zeke the captain. He may not have had typical captain numbers but he has fire and represents Islanders hockey. We don’t need an under achieving nice guy with the C.
Country club Casey? The guy who called out fans for booing. I am very happy Casey is not the captain

Reactions: WangMustGo

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I read every post. You idiots did nothing but rip the "Rags" the whole thread while up 4-1 and the absolute collapse and meltdown had me LMAO. Blaming refs every second because you can't hold a 3 goal and 2 goal lead. Listen enough already and look at your team objectively. They aren't good. Their defense isn't good, the goalie hasn't been great and he's making a ton of money. Mayfield is so overpaid it is insane. Your issue is the 78 yr Old GM needs to go. He has not done anything worthy of making the team better. Horvat is a good player but they need way more. All I have seen on here and the idiot Philz facts on X is it’s the refs fault, Lambert's fault. You all think Engvall is some top 6 player and he clearly is not. The team is 22-32. You are going nowhere. Make some deals to get some picks or youth in. There is no shame in that. But if they continue down this path you are not going to be good for years. The refs cost them. LMAO this was epic. Your fishsticks got filleted
Man, you Rags fans lead a sad existence. Really sad that the Islanders live so rent free in your head that you feel the need to come troll on a day off from work

Maybe find a life, a hobby, move out of your parents basement or out from under the bridge you live under

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
That's been a rule for a while. If a defending player knocks his own net off whether intentionally or not, it'll always be a good goal regardless of when the net comes off. It's been like that for well over a decade.
I'm not saying this as a complaint, but I really wondered at the time whether the goal would count. Any time I've ever seen this happen, the offensive player was shooting while a goalie or defenseman knocks the post off, and the puck goes directly in.

This was a little odd in that Dobson was sliding across the crease to block the shot, and in fact he did block the shot and knocked the post off in doing so. The puck then ricocheted off Dobson and then off Sorokin and then across the goal line (between where the posts used to be). And if that's the call that's fine. However, it does set the precedent that ricochets will count as goals in the future. While this was a very fast, bang-bang thing, the duration of the sequence of events should not matter in the future so long as the offensive player was in the act of shooting when the post came off.

So, for a more extreme example, if a goalie knocks a post off in pushing off to go across the net and the puck bounces off his waffle and 30 feet straight up in the air, and then comes down and bounces off a defending teammate and across the goal line between where the posts were, that also needs to be a goal.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I'm not saying this as a complaint, but I really wondered at the time whether the goal would count. Any time I've ever seen this happen, the offensive player was shooting while a goalie or defenseman knocks the post off, and the puck goes directly in.

This was a little odd in that Dobson was sliding across the crease to block the shot, and in fact he did block the shot and knocked the post off in doing so. The puck then ricocheted off Dobson and then off Sorokin and then across the goal line (between where the posts used to be). And if that's the call that's fine. However, it does set the precedent that ricochets will count as goals in the future. While this was a very fast, bang-bang thing, the duration of the sequence of events should not matter in the future so long as the offensive player was in the act of shooting when the post came off.

So, for a more extreme example, if a goalie knocks a post off in pushing off to go across the net and the puck bounces off his waffle and 30 feet straight up in the air, and then comes down and bounces off a defending teammate and across the goal line between where the posts were, that also needs to be a goal.
This should not have been a goal as the shot continuation was stopped at the point of the block. It was not tipped, the shot was actually stopped, saved, by Dobson. Therefor the shot stopped there. What happened afterward was not a shot continuation. I still think it was the wrong call.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I read every post. You idiots did nothing but rip the "Rags" the whole thread while up 4-1 and the absolute collapse and meltdown had me LMAO. Blaming refs every second because you can't hold a 3 goal and 2 goal lead. Listen enough already and look at your team objectively. They aren't good. Their defense isn't good, the goalie hasn't been great and he's making a ton of money. Mayfield is so overpaid it is insane. Your issue is the 78 yr Old GM needs to go. He has not done anything worthy of making the team better. Horvat is a good player but they need way more. All I have seen on here and the idiot Philz facts on X is its the refs fault, Lambert's fault. You all think Engvall is some top 6 player and he clearly is not. The team is 22-32. You are going nowhere. Make some deals to get some picks or youth in. There is no shame in that. But if they continue down this path you are not going to be good for years. The refs cost them. LMAO this was epic. Your fishsticks got filleted
Why don't we meet up and discuss in person? You down??? I live right on the border of Queens, I'm guessing you can't be that far.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I read every post. You idiots did nothing but rip the "Rags" the whole thread while up 4-1 and the absolute collapse and meltdown had me LMAO. Blaming refs every second because you can't hold a 3 goal and 2 goal lead. Listen enough already and look at your team objectively. They aren't good. Their defense isn't good, the goalie hasn't been great and he's making a ton of money. Mayfield is so overpaid it is insane. Your issue is the 78 yr Old GM needs to go. He has not done anything worthy of making the team better. Horvat is a good player but they need way more. All I have seen on here and the idiot Philz facts on X is its the refs fault, Lambert's fault. You all think Engvall is some top 6 player and he clearly is not. The team is 22-32. You are going nowhere. Make some deals to get some picks or youth in. There is no shame in that. But if they continue down this path you are not going to be good for years. The refs cost them. LMAO this was epic. Your fishsticks got filleted

You act like we don't know this.

dino26

May 22, 2008
MN via Glasgow
Lastly, it just made the day even worse to of course see Rags fans who didnt have a peep to say for most of the game acting like they won the Cup after being down the entire game and having the refs hand them a win.
It was their stanley cup

Now the dust has settled, it's time to come to grips with the fact that Lambert wasn't the problem. The team is. The players are, and there's only so much a coach can do to change that, at least in such a short time. But then again, playing Mayfield at crucial times in a game, has proven time and again to be a bad decision, and that's on the coach.
We should get rid of Lou but Ledecky and Malkin wont do anything

Do you expect any less from Rags fans? I kid you not yesterday there was a group of them sitting behind me and a couple of them were like "who is this brazal guy (mispronouncing Barzy's name)," "is he any good, been on the team long?" I was hard rolling my eyes for like 10 minutes. And they knew everything about all the Rags new players in the lineup and who was brought up for the AHL so these were not non-hockey fans just dragged to the event.
I am pretty sure most of us could name and discuss just about any Rangers player, let alone their stars. But these guys have never heard of nor know anything about our guy who was just in the all-star game and is on pace for a 90 point season. Just morons.
I heard some were being pretty aggressive to Isles fans at the end of the game which is disappointing from fellow New Yorkers

Kudos to Lavy for realizing his team was never down and out bc it’s pretty obvious the Isles would cave and they stop playing when they get a lead.
When I used to play soccer it would infuriate me when my team mates were laughing when we got a goal or were up, still so much left of the game. Nothing is final until it is final!

I say this without any animosity or ill-intent, but you joined the fan base at the highest point the team has been over the last 30 years. Imagine how some lifers feel.

I hope this doesn’t come across as “no offense, but…”

I joined the fanbase last year, the way I look at it is we got a long road ahead and we just gotta keep on moving forward

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
This should not have been a goal as the shot continuation was stopped at the point of the block. It was not tipped, the shot was actually stopped, saved, by Dobson. Therefor the shot stopped there. What happened afterward was not a shot continuation. I still think it was the wrong call.
That is my thought as well, after watching hockey for 30 years I really have no clue what shot continuation or goalie interference is.

In saying that we fully deserved to lose

Last edited:

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
That give away was so bad they deserved to lose…

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Everybody knew Lee's contract was going to suck. It wasn't a matter of if, just when. We just hoped it wouldn't have happened so fast.

Can you imagine the meltdown here if pajama boy had walked AND Lee wasn't resigned? He would have gotten that out more on the open market. I started busting Lee's balls earlier than most of you, but I'm not going to act like that contract wasn't a necessary evil, and he makes a fine captain. He just doesn't have the skillset that ages well.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Everybody knew Lee's contract was going to suck. It wasn't a matter of if, just when. We just hoped it wouldn't have happened so fast.

Can you imagine the meltdown here if pajama boy had walked AND Lee wasn't resigned? He would have gotten that out more on the open market. I started busting Lee's balls earlier than most of you, but I'm not going to act like that contract wasn't a necessary evil, and he makes a fine captain. He just doesn't have the skillset that ages well.
The biggest problem with Lee is that Wahlstrom hasn't worked out. Seriously, if Wahlstrom was scoring 25-30 goals on a sub-$1M contract in the top 6, then Lee playing 3rd line and getting maybe 15-20 goals would be okay.

And does Lee really make a fine captain? I'm not in the pessimist camp around here, but I questioned Lee as captain a year or two ago after some dysfunctional effort in a game or series. The team has come up small in too many big games to give his captaincy high marks, IMO.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The biggest problem with Lee is that Wahlstrom hasn't worked out. Seriously, if Wahlstrom was scoring 25-30 goals on a sub-$1M contract in the top 6, then Lee playing 3rd line and getting maybe 15-20 goals would be okay.

And does Lee really make a fine captain? I'm not in the pessimist camp around here, but I questioned Lee as captain a year or two ago after some dysfunctional effort in a game or series. The team has come up small in too many big games to give his captaincy high marks, IMO.
I think you still see the passion from Lee and Horvat. I think the problem is two fold. Trotz instilled this idea that you should be comfortable being uncomfortable and they are too comfortable with each other. Mayfield has a bad game, and the guys rally around him and they are 'comfortable' with being on the ropes to the point where they think they should just keep playing the way they are they will win. Stay the course doesn't work when you are taking bad penalties. So team tries to rally around Mayfield, but problem is it'll be a different defenseman the next game they have to rally around because they take bad penalties. I can't even say the discipline isn't there, I mean what is Mayfield supposed to do, not keep his stick on the ice like he's been taught from 5 years old? I don't even understand these calls to begin with. What is Mayfield supposed to do behind the net with Lidstrom on the boards? Is he supposed to lightly tap the puck so he doesn't upend the forward? He's trying to move the puck with strength. They need to rethink these stupid tripping penalties, and if they don't, Mayfield doesn't belong in the NHL, lol.

I know it is all hindsight but was curious why Roy didn't take a timeout late.
I'm guessing Rags kept throwing their big dogs out there and he didn't want them to get a rest.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think it would still count as shot continuation, because there was still momentum of the puck crossing the line without anyone taking possession.

Similar to when you occasionally see a heavy shot that a goalie gets a piece of, but the puck slowly trickles in past him.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I hate it when Im right.. LOL..

@SnowblindNYR

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Coming in peace to say that I have a ton of respect for Matt Martin and what he did in this game was really cool.

For a player of Rempe's profile, that type of thing might help him stick. From what I heard, Martin asked him to go and it a very respectful exchange.

He didn't have to do anything to showcase this kid, but he did, and I think that's great. He's a good dude.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Coming in peace to say that I have a ton of respect for Matt Martin and what he did in this game was really cool.

For a player of Rempe's profile, that type of thing might help him stick. From what I heard, Martin asked him to go and it a very respectful exchange.

He didn't have to do anything to showcase this kid, but he did, and I think that's great. He's a good dude.

Rempe mentioned in his post-game interview that Martin was wishing him luck going forward and gave him some compliments while they were in the box. Obviously Martin just wanted to give him an opportunity to showcase himself because he has respect for the job and situation. He could've just ignored him all game and made him have to think about when it was going to come, if ever, and sometimes that f***s with guys.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
I say this without any animosity or ill-intent, but you joined the fan base at the highest point the team has been over the last 30 years. Imagine how some lifers feel.

I hope this doesn’t come across as “no offense, but…”
None taken. As a recent arrival, I genuinely feel for you guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad