GDT: GDT #51 New York Islanders vs Tampa Bay Lightning | February 8th | 8 PM | F/W 6-2

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Obviously great to be scoring/winning, but given Tampa lost Sergachev, played last night, and didn’t play Vasilievskiy, a grain of salt is needed.
You gave us an old school a** whooping.
To be fair, you were down your second best D on a back to back. I mean, the Islanders still had to execute it, but it was there for the taking…

The Islanders can win big, dominating an entire game, and inevitably we'll have some galaxy brain on HF posting about why they still suck :facepalm:
Alrighty there debbie downer

When simply stating the truth is totally misconstrued and cherry-picked just because a few posters have an ax to grind. .

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Essentially what we’ve seen since the ESPN deal is a pushing of ESPN+ for hockey so they don’t truly have to broadcast games on TV. We get maybe 1 game a week on ESPN yet they pushed the deal like it was a great idea. Next to no marketing on social media or highlights posted anywhere.
Just put on Sportscenter and watch how they gloss over hockey as a sport like it’s some random MLB signing of a AAA pitchers for the Kansas City Royals. It’s marketed terribly and nothing is done to push the game for the outside viewers.
The game keeps growing despite the lack of effort from ESPN.

My issue with this new rebooted ESPN and hockey, is the on air talent that’s involved in the actual game is just awful. It looks and feels like they repurposed inexperienced talent (Bucci), unqualified writer (Kaplan), and whatever cast of ‘happy to be here’ ex-NHLers that do not present well on the air.

It’s all just low cost production.

The isles are lucky as heck with Butch, and now with Hickey, let alone Brendan.

Reactions: JKP and mm11

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

My issue with this new rebooted ESPN and hockey, is the on air talent that’s involved in the actual game is just awful. It looks and feels like they repurposed inexperienced talent (Bucci), unqualified writer (Kaplan), and whatever cast of ‘happy to be here’ ex-NHLers that do not present well on the air.

ESPN should have stolen the whole TNT broadcast team. I lt was such a superior broadcast/production for hockey. Just watching last nights game we heard PK attempt to make it exciting (including is fashion takes about Pulock’s suit) and Messier mask over sounding miserable because the Islanders were winning. These former Rangers are downright terrible for TV. Callahan is awful, Messier is terrible and even Asham brutal on TV.
What I’m pushing at would help grow the game more and atleast get random people to take a peek. Put something up on the instagram story about the upcoming games tomorrow/later that day so people see it somewhere other than the guide when they click the button on the remote. Barzal vs Kucherov should be pushed as exciting matchup but it’s pushed about as exciting as 2 NBA bench players from the same Divison 1 school facing off against each other in the NBA summer league .

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

agree, Mess was a Mess. Bucci looks like he wants to be somewhere else. Man, the days of Bill Clement and Co are long gone

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
agree, Mess was a Mess. Bucci looks like he wants to be somewhere else. Man, the days of Bill Clement and Co are long gone

Buccigross is a legitimate hockey fan though, I just don't think he's the right guy for the job. Play by play is a different animal than what he traditionally does on ESPN and it shows. Messier is a f***ing clown. He doesn't know the players, he mumbles when speaking, and he's one of the most boring people to listen to. PK Subban tries too hard to be fun and exciting. At least there's effort there, but it's about all the wrong things.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Roy on the fans last night. He gets it:

"I didn't hear that. But if they did, I mean, I want them to know that I love them just as much.” "What I do like about these fans is they're heart people. And you could tell they're pissed when we don't work. And when we work, they love us. And I think it's pretty simple what they expect from our team, and if we could give them shows like we did last night, I'm sure we’re gonna get even more fans, you know?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Buccigross is a legitimate hockey fan though, I just don't think he's the right guy for the job. Play by play is a different animal than what he traditionally does on ESPN and it shows. Messier is a f***ing clown. He doesn't know the players, he mumbles when speaking, and he's one of the most boring people to listen to. PK Subban tries too hard to be fun and exciting. At least there's effort there, but it's about all the wrong things.
He’s a fan, sure, but he is not qualified to do play by play - he’s on his 3rd season of it and he’s just bad and it impacts the viewing experience. He’s also there because he’s a companyman, this is just another one of his rewards for being that way.

Kaplan is using the ESPN thing as a springboard, (that’s fine, do your thing) again, just doesn’t bring anything to the table about the game.

The rest of the NHL ‘talent’ is just flat out bad. ESPN is trying so badly to make PK Subban a thing, but he’s just not a fit.

Sadly, they came in with a clean slate and this is what they came up with…

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Hickey is one of the best talking heads on sports TV today. Brendan is one of the best PBP guys. Butch is a fantastic public speaker (his speach at his number retirement ceremony was second to none) but not a great color guy IMO. Too much of a homer and a bit too curmudgeony for me. Still, put Butch on ESPN and he's the best one there.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Roy on the fans last night. He gets it:

"I didn't hear that. But if they did, I mean, I want them to know that I love them just as much.” "What I do like about these fans is they're heart people. And you could tell they're pissed when we don't work. And when we work, they love us. And I think it's pretty simple what they expect from our team, and if we could give them shows like we did last night, I'm sure we’re gonna get even more fans, you know?
Totally gets out fan base. Now let's make it happen brother Roy.

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
Yes ESPN sucks. But can we appreciate the fact that when Sorokin made a save in the 3rd, an announcer stated "Smell the Glove"? Which we all know was the first great Black Album by Spinal Tap!!

Reactions: wasthere7980

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Yes ESPN sucks. But can we appreciate the fact that when Sorokin made a save in the 3rd, an announcer stated "Smell the Glove"? Which we all know was the first great Black Album by Spinal Tap!!
What’s an album?

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
Obviously great to be scoring/winning, but given Tampa lost Sergachev, played last night, and didn’t play Vasilievskiy, a grain of salt is needed.
That’s fair, but when we have a million people out of the lineup, guys taking their spots that should be working at car washes in Saskatoon, we have people screaming the sky is falling so I think it bounces itself out…

Reactions: nyisles and Konk

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
A few more of those mindboggling "why can't we just get the puck out of our zone when we have the 100% chance to do so", but I'll take the victory!

Am most happy about this team FINALLY taking advantage of facing a team that was on the 2nd night of a back-to-back.

Reactions: Potvottier

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
That’s fair, but when we have a million people out of the lineup, guys taking their spots that should be working at car washes in Saskatoon, we have people screaming the sky is falling so I think it bounces itself out…

Not only that, but other teams fanbases don't acknowledge it or care. These are professionals, excuses don't matter. The team that's iced is the team that's iced and whether they played the night before or not, they're expected to win.

The Isles simply played a better game and won. I don't care if dirty Sergachev was out of the lineup, just like other teams don't care if we're missing half of our top four when we get beat.

Kucherov is another dirty player on the Lightning and as great as he is, he'll get his eventually too and I'll love every minute of it.

Reactions: PWJunior

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
When simply stating the truth is totally misconstrued and cherry-picked just because a few posters have an ax to grind. .
Axe grind is when celebrating victory :facepalm:

This is a team that on most occasions would have been outworked by an undermanned team and blanked by a no-name goalie earlier this season, as well as the previous two seasons. Lack of killer instinct has been one of their biggest problems this year, and last night they stepped on Tampa's throat instead of playing down to them. The tiresome Debbie Downer routine serves no purpose aside from feeding our fanbase's inferiority complex.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Hickey is one of the best talking heads on sports TV today. Brendan is one of the best PBP guys. Butch is a fantastic public speaker (his speach at his number retirement ceremony was second to none) but not a great color guy IMO. Too much of a homer and a bit too curmudgeony for me. Still, put Butch on ESPN and he's the best one there.
Im not a huge fan of Brendan and Hickey. Too slick and corporate by half. But, they're good at what they do. I kind of miss the old days where there were personalities.

The tiresome Debbie Downer routine serves no purpose aside from feeding our fanbase's inferiority complex.
It's the "yeah, they won, but they still suck" mentality. The only one with an axe to grind is the op.

Reactions: nyisles

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005

This is a team that on most occasions would have been outworked by an undermanned team and blanked by a no-name goalie earlier this season, as well as the previous two seasons. Lack of killer instinct has been one of their biggest problems this year, and last night they stepped on Tampa's throat instead of playing down to them. The tiresome Debbie Downer routine serves no purpose aside from feeding our fanbase's inferiority complex.
Rooting for the team to win games has become the contrarian view.

Reactions: nyisles

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Well the difference is that the Lightning won back to back Cups and were not playing a hall of fame goaltender a defenseman better than any of ours minus Dobson.

When the isles are 100% healthy we're still only fringe playoff team, so not exactly apples to apples.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Did you not only read my post, but fully digest it? Then did you read Seafoam's post and digest taht as well? Not sure the answer could be "yes" to both and you're going off on your tangent here. We both said the exact same thing, but since it appears that you had a preconceived notion about my point, you only replied to, and attacked, me.

Just consider it.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Not only that, but other teams fanbases don't acknowledge it or care. These are professionals, excuses don't matter. The team that's iced is the team that's iced and whether they played the night before or not, they're expected to win.

The Isles simply played a better game and won. I don't care if dirty Sergachev was out of the lineup, just like other teams don't care if we're missing half of our top four when we get beat.

Kucherov is another dirty player on the Lightning and as great as he is, he'll get his eventually too and I'll love every minute of it.
One final point to add is that the Isles won this game rather convincingly. It would be one thing if they happened to just squeak by.

Well the difference is that the Lightning won back to back Cups and were not playing a hall of fame goaltender a defenseman better than any of ours minus Dobson.

When the isles are 100% healthy we're still only fringe playoff team, so not exactly apples to apples.
Yes, all true. But again Isles didn’t just squeak out a victory. They pretty much dominated start to finish in just about all aspects of the game.

All while reintroducing injured players AND a new system.

In this particular game, the Isles did exactly what they needed to do AND did it very well.

Now they need to follow up on the next challenge. If they don’t, then one corrects expectations and strategies accordingly.

Reactions: Potvottier and Konk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad