GDT: GDT #48 New York Islanders @ Montreal Canadiens | January 25th | 7:00 PM | F/4-3 L

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Its quite baffling that experienced players keep making horrific idiotic elementary errors. These aren't rookie errors. By this stage of their careers they should be immune to such horrible brain farts. Isn't that the benefit of years working on your game???

It's so bad it almost looks like they are getting paid to do it!!!

Reactions: scottywiper

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
He's soft on the puck. Doesn't drive to the net. Makes some panic moves with the puck when pressed

Do you remember his horrible give away in our own end when he tried to spin away from a forechecker and ended up another backbreaking goal earlier this year? He got benched for that. Which game it was, I cannot recall....

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Ah well. Sun comes up tomorrow...at least I have the Denver Nuggets to cheer me up.
Checks NBA scores...never mind...life really does suck.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
If they aren’t a top line player and on the right side of 30 they should be signed to 6+ year deals. Let alone middle of the roster guys. Makes no sense.

If he plays sheltered mins, he's okay. His cap hit isn't too bad, it's the term. He most certainly should not be out there to close out games, much like MM in Nashville; this is an issue that should not be overlooked.

He doesn't have the fighting spirit, gumption, or grit to do anything it takes to win. I would've had Horvat with JGP and Holmstrom/Clutter (or CC when healthy).

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Also, Pelech hit looked bad. Given how he looked coming off and his concussion issues, that could be another major problem we face.
Such an ugly hit on him too.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It's obvious Engvall was playing hurt, and he may still be nicked up. That does not excuse mental mistakes, however.

What I think he needs is a tour on the wing of J.G. Pageau and a reset of sorts on the third line. He's been playing essentially exclusively with Nelson and Palmieri since becoming an Islander and not all line combos last as long as the 'MC Squared' line.

Part of the problem is the Islanders don't really have a winger that fits the top six LW role, which is why they should just f***ing call up Rusty Iskhakov and place him alongside two wiley vets in Nelson and Palmieri and see if it generates a spark. At this point, the Islanders are winning games they deserve to lose and losing games they deserve to win so what is the risk in doing a move like this? They need to pull the trigger on the concept of losing someone like Wahlstrom damn well knowing they can probably get a better fit off of waivers later on or through a minor trade.

No offense to the likes of Fasching, Gauthier, and Wahlstrom but they are simply not dynamic enough to be top six forwards on a playoff team in thee National Hockey League.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It's obvious Engvall was playing hurt, and he may still be nicked up. That does not excuse mental mistakes, however.

What I think he needs is a tour on the wing of J.G. Pageau and a reset of sorts on the third line. He's been playing essentially exclusively with Nelson and Palmieri since becoming an Islander and not all line combos last as long as the 'MC Squared' line.

Part of the problem is the Islanders don't really have a winger that fits the top six LW role, which is why they should just f***ing call up Rusty Iskhakov and place him alongside two wiley vets in Nelson and Palmieri and see if it generates a spark. At this point, the Islanders are winning games they deserve to lose and losing games they deserve to win so what is the risk in doing a move like this? They need to pull the trigger on the concept of losing someone like Wahlstrom damn well knowing they can probably get a better fit off of waivers later on or through a minor trade.

No offense to the likes of Fasching, Gauthier, and Wahlstrom but they are simply not dynamic enough to be top six forwards on a playoff team in thee National Hockey League.
Nice post.

adding a top 6 is crucial and someone who can play with Nelson... Buch would be my pick, but cap is an issue to add anyone. I also would not be opposed to see Roy fully shake it up and have Engvall - Horvat - Palmieri and Lee-Barzal-Nelson as the top 6. Ideally, Engvall on the 3rd line and a F like Buch really gives that top 6 bite.

That Pelech hit was brutal! Like really, really brutal, especially for someone who has had concussion issues before - I just hope he is OK, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is out for a long, long time.

I am encouraged with how they have tilted the ice and you can see what Roy wants to see - look at the TOI... so ISK has the skill - the question is the size- we don't know the extent of the Fasching injury, but if it is longer than he would be the most logical choice down there.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nice post.

adding a top 6 is crucial and someone who can play with Nelson... Buch would be my pick, but cap is an issue to add anyone. I also would not be opposed to see Roy fully shake it up and have Engvall - Horvat - Palmieri and Lee-Barzal-Nelson as the top 6. Ideally, Engvall on the 3rd line and a F like Buch really gives that top 6 bite.

That Pelech hit was brutal! Like really, really brutal, especially for someone who has had concussion issues before - I just hope he is OK, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is out for a long, long time.

I am encouraged with how they have tilted the ice and you can see what Roy wants to see - look at the TOI... so ISK has the skill - the question is the size- we don't know the extent of the Fasching injury, but if it is longer than he would be the most logical choice down there.
Bucknevins is a left shot RW so he would have to be on the top line, which analytically is a strong performing line that I don't see the need to mess with.

I'm not saying no, because I think he's a damn good player but he's a better fit for the top line than the second line unless Palms is going the other way (which still leaves Engvall on the second line unless they call us Rusty).

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Bucknevins is a left shot RW so he would have to be on the top line, which analytically is a strong performing line that I don't see the need to mess with.

I'm not saying no, because I think he's a damn good player but he's a better fit for the top line than the second line unless Palms is going the other way (which still leaves Engvall on the second line unless they call us Rusty).
I will like to see a call-up for Rusty - I have seen enough from the likes of Gauthier and Fasching.

Another player would be Vatrano- would prefer a more elite player than that.

I think Buch can play the LW - he is playing it now with Kyrou on the RW, but if he needs to play RW - then it gives you another look with Maty back at C with Nelson on his LW and Buch on Horvats' RW.

I would like to see how Roy decides to deploy the lines.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Other than Barzal-Horvat, the entire forward group needs a mix up
Well...the second line for sure needs a changing. I know Palms has scored two recently but past that and Engval at 1 in 17 there is nothing on our second line. It is barely a third line.

We knew this week was likely not going to be good. It will take some time before Coach has time to implement a full change of course including the PK and PP. The good thing, is in a short time, it looks like he can make this club, as is, better and that will hopefully translate much better as we improve this team.

Just not sure there is enough time left this season to turn it all around enough. At times the bad habits look so ingrained. They look like a cozy familiar blanket that our guys fall back on instinctively. And some of it is looking to be aggressive and ending up being too much so. Some of it is just being stupid. It is going to take time but i think we got the right Coach.

...wish the coaching change happened sooner. Based on what Roy alluded to and Lou missing the trip, sounds like it was in the works as we hit the road for that last trip. Who knows, maybe Lou was looking sooner...he certainly had to be entertaining the idea sooner.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I am all for healthy scratching Engvall for his mistake. The only problem is when he comes back in a game or 2 he is still the same Engvall. Lane scratched him for poor play and nothing changed in his game. Engvall is truly elite at avoiding contact and avoiding driving to the net

Reactions: MJF and The Real JT

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Well...the second line for sure needs a changing. I know Palms has scored two recently but past that and Engval at 1 in 17 there is nothing on our second line. It is barely a third line.

We knew this week was likely not going to be good. It will take some time before Coach has time to implement a full change of course including the PK and PP. The good thing, is in a short time, it looks like he can make this club, as is, better and that will hopefully translate much better as we improve this team.

Just not sure there is enough time left this season to turn it all around enough. At times the bad habits look so ingrained. They look like a cozy familiar blanket that our guys fall back on instinctively. And some of it is looking to be aggressive and ending up being too much so. Some of it is just being stupid. It is going to take time but i think we got the right Coach.

...wish the coaching change happened sooner. Based on what Roy alluded to and Lou missing the trip, sounds like it was in the works as we hit the road for that last trip. Who knows, maybe Lou was looking sooner...he certainly had to be entertaining the idea sooner.
I actually think Palmieri has been fine, he’s streaky but he fits the first PP unit and even not scoring he plays hard. They need a better LW for that line though. My crazy idea last night was Huberdeau, half retained salary by Calgary and isles give them Engvall and Wahlstrom. Maybe playing for Roy inspires Huberdeau and he upgrades the top six. I have no idea what Huberdeau value is at this point so don’t know if that even works.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Just saw the game.

Are you effin' kidding me?

ARE YOU EFFIN' KIDDING ME?

Is this team simply not able to ever just play it safe and get the puck out of the zone when there's a 1000% opportunity to do so???

Seriously... I got a lot of stuff to get done today and this just....

This kind of disappointiment weighs heavy.

Reactions: Skip To My Lou

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
You are def onto something
Lou saw what EVERYONE saw. A lack of team speed
Yet, he employed the worlds greatest fourth line, at least 2 years past their expiration date
He added a fast skater, Engvall, who has zero attributes of the bottom 6 players Lou loves?
Engvall adds something to the roster it lacks, but Lou ignored the other 5 guys on the bottom 6
I will have to see more of him......but Engvall cannot have another game like that one. Basically lost the game for the Isles. No?
I like their powerplay. Barzal brought it to the Bell Center last night for sure!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad