GDT: GDT #46 New York Islanders vs Dallas Stars | January 21st | 7:30 PM | F/OTW 3-2

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Dallas has 4 more years left on Seguin at $9.8. Ouch-a-roni.

Barzal made a great move pushing the play up the boards, forcing the D to hold or skate backwards. Barzal made the right move with the pass vs trying to skate around the D.
For anyone who is complaining about the isles contracts like myself, there are some teams who are absolutely worse

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I said this earlier in the thread, I truly hope he can (to some degree) fix this defense. It will create more offense, cut down the GA, and protect the goalies. Sorokin will probably regain his Vezina form (or close). Ultimately this team will then be better positioned for the playoffs.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
This guy is BEAST. He knows exactly how many turnovers My New York Islanders had and what the effect of it was. No offense Lane, but you never ever gave this type of transparency in post games. You were JUNK!

Saying the obvious thing out loud instead of glossing over it due to bounces or some other lane shit is great to hear. Hope he has a plan to fix it. Some of these defenseman look broken at the moment.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Wonder if Roy will put #13 on the ice protecting the lead being assertive or actually on the ice for empty netters. Heck even the PP like other teams "best" players. He showed the ability on horvats goal last night. #13 and #14 short handed could be something

Reactions: Potvottier

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Romanov was terrific all night. Was super interested to see if JGP, Gauthier or Bolduc had a little bounce in their step.

Shots/turnovers being managed will be a relief if it comes to pass. The return of Pulock and to a degree, Engvall, will help in that regard. Wonder if Reilly gets a look again in some type of rotation.

Much needed win so that was great. Even though our shot total was low, some grade A chances were missed.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Interesting game!

If Roy can get Romanov to decide to move his feet forward (it's caution that holds him back imo) like he was doing last night, wow - he could be a star. You can't teach those first two or three strides coming out of the defensive zone, which is what put him in position to score.

But the Islanders warts - mostly age and a lack of athleticism on the wings - still showed itself. At least Palmieri stumbling around unintentionally blocked out a defender enough for the Fasching goal. If he didn't look so out of control, he might've been called for interference.

Barzal was the difference maker - working hard all over the ice, and willing the puck out of the defensive zone. That was a great play on Duchene. I don't know what Seguin was miffed about. Communication with Harley? On a turnover like that 3v3, it's pretty much going to be a 2 v 1 or a breakaway if the other team isn't gassed. Harley was not going to catch Horvat who was his man, and Seguin was too far away to switch effectively. That stuff just happens 3v3.

Gotta give respect where due - Robertson's looked so effortless pulling off that sweet, sweet pass reception & move.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Isles definitely missed a few chances to also score more than just two in regulation (Dobson missed backdoor pass to Nelson)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Well, that felt good!

We all know Roy has to get to know this team. Well, they certainly provided him with a whole pallet worth of typical Islander errors to get accustomed to. Jeez Louise, it was like, "Welcome Coach, this is what we're kinda all about."

But a wonderful win against a Dallas team that is mighty impressive and a Scott Wedgewood who is really looking like the real deal this season. The Isles could have ended that first period up 4-0 if it weren't for him.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Romanov was terrific all night. Was super interested to see if JGP, Gauthier or Bolduc had a little bounce in their step.

Shots/turnovers being managed will be a relief if it comes to pass. The return of Pulock and to a degree, Engvall, will help in that regard. Wonder if Reilly gets a look again in some type of rotation.

Much needed win so that was great. Even though our shot total was low, some grade A chances were missed.
I thought Pageau and his linemates were doing a great job of getting into scoring position all game long, and probably deserved a few points on the scoresheet. Pageau had some premium chances that he just couldn't finish. Tip your cap to Wedgewood for that.

Pager and Holmstrom on the PK were excellent.

Reactions: Strummergas

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
One note on Holmstrom from last night . . . he carried the puck a LOT, that might well be one thing Roy focused on talking to him about. He's got skills that are not fully used yet.

His only skating issue is the first few steps and his summer homework assignment is to work on that.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Ecstatic about the win last night! It was just one game so not getting my hopes up too high. Isles with many high quality scoring chances in the first period. Could have been a blowout if they converted.

From what I saw last night there's just so much to like from Roy. Love the way he engages with the players. Patting them on the back and constant communication at the bench. The energy, the "play to win" attitude most noticeable when he started his top skill line to start the game and to start the overtime. That's a huge difference from Lambert who always started the forechecking 4th line. In fact, Roy limited the TOI of the 4th line drastically in the 3rd period another huge difference from Lambert. Roy appreciates and respects skill. I already love that about guy.

On the defensive side of things praise the lord they are actually showing some physicality. Pinning players along the boards, great gap control, standing up more, and at times mugging the opposing forwards. Finally defensemen playing like defensemen. All good stuff.

Thank god so far at least in this game he let Barzal just be Barzal and it paid off. Looking forward to see that relationship develop. Overall a great start to the Roy era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad