GDT: GDT #44 New York Islanders @ Winnipeg Jets | January 16th | 8 PM | F/4-2 L

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I think the thing with Engvall might be that it looks like he may have more to give. The issue with Palmiei, Clutterbuck, etc. isn't motivation.
This is my impression as well, and i think has to do a lot with Engvalls size compared to his play style. He wants to be an offensive puck carrier, but doesn't do anything without the puck, despite having the size to do so. He's always going to be a player coaches want more from.

People saying they should move him down the lineup, but my take is he tries to do too much as it is resulting in gaffes. Put him on a defensive line and those gaffes will just skyrocket. He's a Schremp/Tambellini type where he's either on the top two lines or in the press box.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
That’s really the main point. The only option here is to get a new coach. Whatever you think of the roster, it isn’t changing.

The other point is to make sure the roster isn't made any worse. So there is something Malkin could do to assure that doesn't happen.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Obviously a much better effort than what they did in Minnesota and a pretty good game to watch. If they were in the middle of a winning streak, you walk away from a game like this still pretty satisfied. Road game, good team, bad bounces, etc. Unfortunately we need results. Season can slip away if this continues.

They need a jolt. If it's not a coaching change (and I don't think one is coming anytime soon) then maybe start Appleby, or hold a players-only meeting or something to give them a spark...

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
There is a reason Toronto traded Engvall last season when they were going to playoffs. We are seeing it now and will see it for another 6 years

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I suspect ownership doesn’t want to fire the coach and pay two coaching salaries.

Considering how Malkin has been an open checkbook since he took over the team there's literally no evidence to support that. He's literally given Lou every financial resource he's needed to make the team better.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I'm saying 4 forwards make up more than 1/2 their payroll and they have to make tough decisions, especially at center.
I think they got rid of him because they didn’t think he would play well in the playoffs for them. I don’t think losing him as a UFA was a concern

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Considering how Malkin has been an open checkbook since he took over the team there's literally no evidence to support that. He's literally given Lou every financial resource he's needed to make the team better.

I just find it strange that Lou has historically been quick to fire coaches but isn’t firing this one.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I just find it strange that Lou has historically been quick to fire coaches but isn’t firing this one.

There's a lot of reasons why Lou hasn't removed Lane yet...

1. There's no one available he likes better.
  2. He thinks the team will get better.
  3. He likes the job Lane is doing.
  4. He's taken a pulse of the market and no experienced coach wants to work for him at this point.
  5. He knows that if he fires another coach that he might be next.
  6. Malkin mandated that he doesn't fire Lane because Malkin will be cleaning house end of season if the team doesn't make the playoffs regardless.

And there could be several other reasons, but there's literally no evidence that Malkin wouldn't put up the money to pay for a new coach if he believed it was the best move for the team.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I think they got rid of him because they didn’t think he would play well in the playoffs for them. I don’t think losing him as a UFA was a concern
Well whatever. They have bigger concerns about who plays well and who doesn't play well in the playoffs for them. I don't really care what their motivation was, I like the addition of Engvall to our team.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Well whatever. They have bigger concerns about who plays well and who doesn't play well in the playoffs for them. I don't really care what their motivation was, I like the addition of Engvall to our team.
Engvall would have been a good signing at 2 years 7 million or something like that. Marrying a guy like Engvall is insanity

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

4. He's taken a pulse of the market and no experienced coach wants to work for him at this point.
  6. Malkin mandated that he doesn't fire Lane because Malkin will be cleaning house end of season if the team doesn't make the playoffs regardless.

And there could be several other reasons, but there's literally no evidence that Malkin wouldn't put up the money to pay for a new coach if he believed it was the best move for the team.
Reasons 1-3 are the only legitimate ones. 4-6 are fanboy fantasies.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Engvall would have been a good signing at 2 years 7 million or something like that. Marrying a guy like Engvall is insanity
I don't see how/why Engvall would sign that unless Lou invited Luca Brasi to the meeting.

It's a $3M cap hit for a good forward. It will be about 3% of the payroll towards the end.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I don't see how/why Engvall would sign that unless Lou invited Luca Brasi to the meeting.

It's a $3M cap hit for a good forward. It will be about 3% of the payroll towards the end.
A good forward?? He is playing 2 line minutes all season and is on pace for around 12 goals and 30 points. Engvall is fine as a place holder but that is what he is. If we actually had any prospects he would be blocking them

Reactions: MJF

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
A good forward?? He is playing 2 line minutes all season and is on pace for around 12 goals and 30 points. Engvall is fine as a place holder but that is what he is. If we actually had any prospects he would be blocking them
OK. You convinced me. He sucks.

And why would you be OK with him at 2 years for 7M if he's so bad?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Kinda two teams and like almost 15 years ago…

Why do you say that? They paid Trotz $5M for sitting at home last year.
Teams pay two coaches all the time. Like I mentioned yesterday, Lambert had no contract leverage as first year head coach.

Paying two coaches is probably not the reason.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
OK. You convinced me. He sucks.

And why would you be OK with him at 2 years for 7M if he's so bad?
I am not saying he sucks somehow he is even compared to his line mates who are -14 and -11 which is incredible when you think about it.

2 years is much different than 7. He is an ok player now in what should be one of his most productive contract years. How is he going to look years 5-7. Why do you want average players locked up for 7 years?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

And there’s no evidence of 4-6. That’s just your ongoing theme in bullet points vs paragraphs.

Again, who are your candidates to replace Lou and Lambert? (You seem to dodge that repeatedly AND and Islanders topic).

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I am not saying he sucks somehow he is even compared to his line mates who are -14 and -11 which is incredible when you think about it.

2 years is much different than 7. He is an ok player now in what should be one of his most productive contract years. How is he going to look years 5-7. Why do you want average players locked up for 7 years?
The average NHL salary is currently 3.5M. At the end of the contract, $3M will be going rate for a 4th liner. This is not as big a deal as you think it is.

What MAY be a bigger deal is the overall strategy: Lou's MO is to hand out more term (to certain players) to save a bit on cap hit. Fair to criticize this IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad