GDT: GDT #44 New York Islanders @ Winnipeg Jets | January 16th | 8 PM | F/4-2 L

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
No need to attack each other when we can blame Lane, Aho, and Mayfield.

The guy that blames Barzal should be having fun tonight
I wish he was a better overall player and had an actual positive impact on the game on a consistent basis, but he’s not.

It’s ok, it’s all on display, the team results show it, but I’ve been told he’s a point a game player. Unleashed is exciting.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
I wish he was a better overall player and had an actual positive impact on the game on a consistent basis, but he’s not.

It’s ok, it’s all on display, the team results show it, but I’ve been told he’s a point a game player. Unleashed is exciting.
One of the worst games I've seen him play. He did not drive play at all and fumbled puck all night.
Horrible, and we desperately needed him to lead the way .
Horvat has been giving his all, but the other guys are all horribly inconsistent

Reactions: Potvottier

Reijo29

Feb 8, 2015
I don’t think anyone thinks we are a cup contender with this roster. But the lack of any system and a poor PK falls on the coach. It is also much easier to replace a coach than trade 12-13 players that are underperforming their contract
I honestly think there are two reasons why they have a structure or system breakdown, unlike under Trotz. Number one, the Clutter, Martin, Cizikas line three years ago was a phenomenal checking line which enabled them to play a certain way. Now they’re all old and I mean physically old. And slow. And number two, Pelech and Pulock were rising stars three years ago, played fantastic and both regressed. Neither f those are coach related. That’s it.

Reactions: Torrey Redux

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Not part of the family just embarrassing how many night after night blame it on the coach. They’re not good enough what’s so hard to understand. They give up 40 plus shots a game every night, Sorokin hasn’t even been good this season, Martin, Clutter, Cizikas, Pageau, Wahlstrom are all terrible, Pelech isn’t the same player, what’s so tough to understand? It’s so played out now. They’re not good.

Not sure if you're aware, but it's possible that there are multiple problems - Both players and the coach.

However you seem to be unaware how much a coach affects play...And that you cannot fire the players.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I honestly think there are two reasons why they have a structure or system breakdown, unlike under Trotz. Number one, the Clutter, Martin, Cizikas line three years ago was a phenomenal checking line which enabled them to play a certain way. Now they’re all old and I mean physically old. And slow. And number two, Pelech and Pulock were rising stars threes years ago, played fantastic and both regressed. That’s it.
Both are great points and the regression of those players does explain some of the horrible PK. But the blown leads are a team effort and Lane deserves plenty of Blame.

Reactions: Reijo29

Reijo29

Feb 8, 2015
Not sure if you're aware, but it's possible that there are multiple problems - Both players and the coach.

However you seem to be unaware how much a coach affects play...And that you cannot fire the players.
It’s a combination yes

Both are great points and the regression of those players does explain some of the horrible PK. But the blown leads are a team effort and Lane deserves plenty of Blame.
Agreed but I’ll also add this. Sorokin this season gives up a ton of goals at the end of these games.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
One of the worst games I've seen him play. He did not drive play at all and fumbled puck all night.
Horrible, and we desperately needed him to lead the way .
Horvat has been giving his all, but the other guys are all horribly inconsistent
Just hope acquilini cheaps out on Petterssen and demands a trade by July 1. Vancouver gets suckered into taking him as the return.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Did not watch a moment of the game. Listened to part of the first period on NHL radio. Did I hear it right that Engvall was scratched and he has 1 point in the last 17 games?????

Not singling out Engvall as there are numerous issues with this team right now. Just wow!

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Did not watch a moment of the game. Listened to part of the first period on NHL radio. Did I hear it right that Engvall was scratched and he has 1 point in the last 17 games?????

Not singling out Engvall as there are numerous issues with this team right now. Just wow!
It’s bad when Wally plays.

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
just watched the 10 minute recap of game at YT. It seems I missed nothing special. Nice goals by Lee, but that's all.
Isles will fell out of competition soon and fast. Fire Lane, fire Lou.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
It’s quite possible Lou has assembled one of the dumbest rosters we’ve seen.

The hockey IQ on this team is so dam low

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Isn't that what we’ve been doing on this board? If that’s not the case then I want to change the rules.

Last edited:

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Just once....it would be nice to see Lane accept some responsibility for the crap we are on the ice.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
For me I’m ready to give up on this year, explore trading anyone not named Barzal, Horvat, Dobson and Sorokin and retool for next season. I’m guessing that isn’t in cards and rather we will see lambert canned maybe even in morning.
I think even if you want to retool, the contract structures of almost every player are untradeable without giving up future assets

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

That’s really the main point. The only option here is to get a new coach. Whatever you think of the roster, it isn’t changing.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
It’s quite possible Lou has assembled one of the dumbest rosters we’ve seen.

The hockey IQ on this team is so dam low
But then many of these players were part of a team that rarely made bad mistakes. Something has changed....

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
JGP has been terrible. In a checking ro!e, his line has been awful. I actually feel it's holding Holmstrom back.

This insistence on rolling four lines without the talent to do so is a coaching problem. How many times are the Faschings and Gauthiers of this team out there in the last five minutes of a game we are losing? The third line is broken. Clutterbuck should actually be on that line. He is ten times the player the other two are. Play the fourth line like a fourth line. He has abandoned the grind game but holds on to this aspect of it.

The bizarre handling of Engvall is mind boggling. He is either on the second line or scratched. I guess if you're not first you're last? How about swapping him and Holmstrom?? I believe the may have won one of those scratch games.

Holmstrom handling is another symptom. He scores a few shorties with Pageau and til death do they part? The line does zippo 5v5. My god. Do something different.

Houda is a terrible coach and Aho costs us games. It is incomprehensible that he is in the lineup. They mismanaged Salo and they wouldn't have played Bolduc over Aho until the injuries. Think about that. Bolduc is clearly better than Aho and would develop in time. What idiots.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The bizarre handling of Engvall is mind boggling. He is either on the second line or scratched. I guess if you're not first you're last? How about swapping him and Holmstrom?? I believe the may have won one of those scratch games.
I agree. I think Engvall has been snake bitten, and his finishing is not good. But he has not been the liability Palmieri has, and continues to be. I guess Engvall's turnovers are obvious, because he ends up way on the wrong side of the puck when it happens because of his considerable momentum. Palmieri's look less egregious, because he's always stationary. And not being able to compete for pucks, because he can't get there, are nearly as bad as turnovers. I want him out of the lineup so badly.

PS Also agree that there's no harm playing Bolduc over Aho.
PPS We are seeing Mike Reilly's flaws.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I agree. I think Engvall has been snake bitten, and his finishing is not good. But he has not been the liability Palmieri has, and continues to be. I guess Engvall's turnovers are obvious, because he ends up way on the wrong side of the puck when it happens because of his considerable momentum. Palmieri's look less egregious, because he's always stationary. And not being able to compete for pucks, because he can't get there, are nearly as bad as turnovers. I want him out of the lineup so badly.
It is so odd. Shuffle the guy down the lineup for crying out loud. It makes no sense. Instead we get Fasching, Gauthier and or Wahlstrom. One of those guys is the limit. Two NHL tweeners and a poor skater made worse by injury.

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It is so odd. Shuffle the guy down the lineup for crying out loud. It makes no sense. Instead we get Fasching, Gauthier and or Wahlstrom. One of those guys is the limit. Two NHL tweeners and a poor skater made worse by injury.
Seems to me that LL has not wanted to upset the apple cart yet to bring in more roster options. Putting any of Clutterbuck, Martin, Wahlstrom, or Palmieri through waivers will send a very big statement, but imo none of them would be claimed. Fasching or Gauthier may be claimed, because they are replacement level players with appropriate contracts. But Clutterbuck, Martin, Fasching, and (in this version) Wahlstrom are worse than replacement level.

I think the thing with Engvall might be that it looks like he may have more to give. The issue with Palmiei, Clutterbuck, etc. isn't motivation.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
...BUT, it all comes down to coaching at this point in order to give us a chance. With Lane, we are not going to sniff the playoffs, he looks and sounds lost...all down hill from here. Of course i hope i am wrong, but so far...

Seems to me that LL has not wanted to upset the apple cart yet to bring in more roster options. Putting any of Clutterbuck, Martin, Wahlstrom, or Palmieri through waivers will send a very big statement, but imo none of them would be claimed. Fasching or Gauthier may be claimed, because they are replacement level players with appropriate contracts. But Clutterbuck, Martin, Fasching, and (in this version) Wahlstrom are worse than replacement level.
Agree.....I would however retain Wahlstrom and just give him a few weeks of steady play. Call it a last gasp last shot. I still think some one would grab him. The other three...well maybe two, Martin and Palms, no one takes them.

Reactions: saintunspecified

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
JGP has been terrible. In a checking ro!e, his line has been awful. I actually feel it's holding Holmstrom back.

This insistence on rolling four lines without the talent to do so is a coaching problem. How many times are the Faschings and Gauthiers of this team out there in the last five minutes of a game we are losing? The third line is broken. Clutterbuck should actually be on that line. He is ten times the player the other two are. Play the fourth line like a fourth line. He has abandoned the grind game but holds on to this aspect of it.

Holmstrom handling is another symptom. He scores a few shorties with Pageau and til death do they part? The line does zippo 5v5. My god. Do something different.

Houda is a terrible coach and Aho costs us games. It is incomprehensible that he is in the lineup. They mismanaged Salo and they wouldn't have played Bolduc over Aho until the injuries. Think about that. Bolduc is clearly better than Aho and would develop in time. What idiots.
Bolduc and Aho are just the difference between cat shit and dog shit. At least Aho has a mental understanding of the game, he's just limited physically. Bolduc is good for a half a dozen seizures a night.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad